Crawley Town sell-off

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

There's nothing you can do when players are out of contract; you are once again competing for their signature.

Crawley has made some good signings, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy is a quality player that at 25-years-old should only flourish. Gevan Holohan is also a very experienced player, that should do well. Likewise with Scott Malone, a decent defender and has a wealth of experience to help keep them in League One. Josh Flint is very much a signing we would make, along the lines of Ed Francis and Will Patching.

Unproven, but has plenty of potential and was once held with high regard at Portsmouth - although I don't believe he made an appearance for them.

It's disappointing to see a club newly promoted lose players, but it's not like they went out on purpose to rip it apart. Our first season back in League One, it was a mistake for us to gut the 09/10 squad. Crawley, and teams like them would always attract interest in their free agents and key players. Reinvesting and purchasing quality replacements is their own way of combating it. It's sad to see, but not much they can do.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,309
  • Days Won:  17

@Chris

If Notts get Promoted this coming Season I expect to see a Similar Exodus From the Lane. Better more Experienced Players Coming In. Players such has Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley should be offered Extended Contracts like Macca was. I think Jodi is in the Last Year of His Contract . However that isn't something I'm sure of.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,951
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I can understand the fans being disappointed, they’ve grown to love the players who got them promoted and now the squad is being ripped apart with a whole lot of new players coming in. If the new players perform well it will soon all be forgotten but if they don’t the fans will be asking questions and rightly so.

• Like 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

it would have been a magical season for them but the hardest thing would be to retain the players, i think many would have still be off had they lost the final. they proved that they have good players and clubs would be more intent in signing their best talent. at least promotion will attract a good standard of players in the likely event that they are relegated they should be strong enough to do well in league two.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,381
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Moving into League one is a step up so it makes sense for clubs to recruit players that can compete in league.one

I believe each league has three leagues in one, so if a club is ambitious, they have to recruit close to championship level players to be competing for a playoff space or better in league one.

If Notts go up I expect them to do the same & recruit from Clubs that have been promoted from League one to the championship.

Unfortunately, we are seeing players that get their club promoted, then are sold off or released, so they don't actually get to play in the higher league.

• Like 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,167
  • Days Won:  3

The move to recruit new players was necessary for Crawley to compete in League One. Hepburn-Murphy and Malone are solid signings. It’s part of football; players come and go.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,134
  • Days Won:  2

Supporters of Crawley Town must understand that their team, being smaller in comparison to others, might face challenges in competition. This is not said with any malice, but as a simple observation. For instance, Accrington experienced several losses when they moved up.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  301
  • Days Won:  1

My sympathies are with Crawley Town and their supporters. It’s common for teams to lose players after a promotion, but this is their first promotion in a while, and it’s always ambitious to aim for a repeat of the previous season’s success. I suspect they might face difficulties, but I hope their new signings will help mitigate the impact of losing players.

• Like 4

Seeing that Notts have signed to of Crawley's Promotion Winning Team.  Does it Beg the Question, did Crawley Town's Board think these players were Not up to League 1 standard ? Or is it that Notts have offered them a Better Contract?

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,381
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+
7 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Seeing that Notts have signed to of Crawley's Promotion Winning Team.  Does it Beg the Question, did Crawley Town's Board think these players were Not up to League 1 standard ? Or is it that Notts have offered them a Better Contract?

A bit of both probably. It is now becoming common that newly promoted teams change their squad drastically to compete well in their new league.

Players who were thought good enough to get promotion are then not seen good enough to compete in the higher league.

Unfortunately, after promotion, Notts got it wrong with their recruitment and paid the penalty by not getting to the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  686

Support the new signings and hope they can stay up. I understand the disappointment, being newly promoted and hoping for another good season. Teams at this level are often dismantled.

• Like 2

@Blake

I don't think there is any Question regarding the New Players Not Being Supported By The Fans.  As they are Now Magpies.

@Robbie

I think the Euphoria of Notts getting Promoted back into the EFL had more than a little bit to do with the Notts recruitment. Players who were Not up to League 2 standard were kept at the Lane, in the Hope they could take Notts into at least the Play offs.  A Case of the Heart Ruling the Head. Sadly when Luke Williams left and he took his Man Management skills with him it affected the Notts Players. perhaps more than they Realized. I would think that if Notts do get Promoted the same Mistake won't happen again and New Players with higher League Experience would be bought into the Squad. While Players thought not to be League 1 standard would be Realised.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  686

I'm sure they will support the new signings, but setbacks must be balanced by new arrivals. If Crawley gets good replacements, they should become stronger. At least, that's the goal.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

If they had managed to retain more of their top players from the team that won the promotion, it might have been beneficial when bringing in new players. Nothing is impossible, and while it’s unlikely, they might have been able to compete at the higher end of League One. It would have been a challenge, but with the unity their squad developed in League Two, it could have been achievable. In our first match against them, they seemed average, but they improved significantly in our subsequent encounter. Adam Campbell was particularly challenging.

• Like 1