PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,277
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - The Zebras (A)

Team: MSV Duisburg

Date: 20/07/2024

Where: PCC-Stadion

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

This is one of the superior away matches for a pre-season friendly. It’s going to be a fantastic journey for both the fans and the club. Ideally, this match will serve as a means to restore unity under the extraordinary game. We don’t get a match like this every season, so if you’re able to attend, savour the experience.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,896
  • Days Won:  5

This is a beneficial team-building activity that the squad, not just the fans, should be excited about. It’s merely a run-out and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. It will be intriguing to see how we stack up against a German team, even if they aren’t high up in their league system. It’s a good friendly match to have before the start of a new season.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

This game is going to be so exciting. MSV Duisburg is a German tier 4 club, so it should be a good match up for Notts. 

I hope that Stuart will play close to what he believes is his first 11 side for the first half at least.

I would play Scott and Jatta together once again, but I think Stuart should focus on Notts's defence and midfield & the aim should be a clean sheet.

I would like to see Robertson in midfield (if fit) too.

In the last match the second half team was a little disjointed, so for this match I wouldn't change the team too much at once, and just make no more than half a dozen changes in the 2nd half.

Hoping Notts can keep that unbeaten record going.

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I know it's just a friendly, but I would like to see a settled squad take part in the first half. Introduce some of the other players and youngsters in the second half, it would be a shame for them not to be involved. I think from a prospect of starting a strong squad, it would give them a good insight into where we are - whilst allowing travelling fans to feel like we are taking the friendly a bit more seriously.

Although, friendlies are friendlies and nothing more.

I do believe it would lift morale and give those expecting to start some form of push as we continue our pre-season. Revert to trailists, and mixed sides after.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

If their nickname is The Zebras I assume they play in black and white stripes, it’ll be interesting to see what shirt Notts wear, I don’t think they’ve released the new away shirt yet have they?

It’ll be a great experience for the players and the fans lucky enough to attend, I hope it’s a good game.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

They play in blue and white hoops @Fan of Big Tone. German zebras are obviously different 😂 Their kit is usually mostly white, so there shouldn't be a clash.

They've just been relegated from the third division, so I've seen them in action a few times. They were part of the furniture in the Bundesliga before falling on hard times. A few years ago they came close to returning to Bundesliga 2, sitting in the promotion spots all season before blowing up spectacularly and firing their head coach Torsten Lieberknecht (who went on to take Darmstadt to the Bundesliga). They've struggled ever since and went down following a relegation battle with a number of other big names.

As for the standard of football, the fourth-level Regionalliga is home to about 100 clubs over five divisions, so of course it isn't the same level as League Two apart from a few top clubs. However, Duisburg are definitely among those top clubs. They've never played at that level before, have a new manager and squad and are highly fancied to return to the third division at the first time of asking.

Those of you who are going shouldn't expect too much Bundesliga flair as the match is being played at a local non-league ground, but I'm expecting a competitive match and a good workout. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

They play in blue and white hoops @Fan of Big Tone. German zebras are obviously different 😂

I found a German zebra 😂

IMG_6162.jpeg

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Chris said:

know it's just a friendly, but I would like to see a settled squad take part in the first half.

I'd like to see us have something resembling a league starting 11 too. Duisburg's season starts on 26 July, so this will be very much a dress rehearsal for them. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

well i do think games like this should be used as a way to reward players who have put in effort, so i dont think trailists should really get much time. had i felt okay, i might have made the trip. i was half minded to go but i have no. i know a few fans who are, so i hope they enjoy the experience and those on here that do. please report back.

your experience and thoughts would be nice to read.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Days Won:  1

It’s always enjoyable to see how Notts measures up against an international team, especially in a friendly match. The relaxed atmosphere allows the players to perform without any pressure. They can simply savour the event, which hopefully translates into a strong team performance. The fans who can attend are indeed fortunate.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I wouldn't have thought that Notts will be playing trialists in this game, but I could be wrong 

Stuart should be getting to the stage in knowing which players are pushing for a starting eleven places.

I say starting eleven places, because we know it is a squad game nowadays, so as we saw with England at the Euros, tactical substitutions are becoming more & more important.

Last season we lacked quality on the bench for a variety of reasons, injuries, poor recruitment, & not a big enough squad.

This season, it looks very different. So 18 players, 11 on the field, & 7 on the bench, (up to 5 can be used), will always be involved & with hopefully, a 25 man squad, competition for places will be very competitive.

The key to success is having 7 on the bench who can come on & change a game if necessary & I believe Notts are very close to having that.

So for this match I hope Stuart has a starting 11 and a bench of 7 that will together all figure on the pitch at some point & this will be a big marker for things to come. 

Supporter+

• Love 1

For anyone who's hanging about for the weekend, the Duisburg city festival is on now until Sunday, and MSV Duisburg are also holding a family event on Sunday. So there'll be no boredom.

@Robbie, I think it would be a good idea to field trialists if we're seriously thinking about signing them, this is a good chance to watch them under competitive conditions. But it would be good to see something more like our planned league 11.

Supporter+

So it's Matchday.

MSV Duisburg v Notts. 

Kick off 1 pm BST.

Looking forward to this international friendly between two tier 4 clubs.

Looking for an impressive show from Notts today. A win would be nice but a draw would do for me.

Supporter+

Supporter+

This is the Notts team that kicks off the match this afternoon.

Would have preferred to have had our strongest side, which includes Jones and Jatta.

Supporter+

Supporter+

Duisburg are doing a live ticker (in German) if anyone is interested. They are also showing short videos in their Facebook reel. https://www.msv-duisburg.de/aktuelles/spielplan/spieltag/spieltag/detail/3390/

• Love 1

Supporter+

Goal for Notts. PLATT!!!

Duisburg 0 Notts 1

• Love 1

Supporter+
20 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

Duisburg are doing a live ticker (in German) if anyone is interested. They are also showing short videos in their Facebook reel. https://www.msv-duisburg.de/aktuelles/spielplan/spieltag/spieltag/detail/3390/

I like the ticker. Google translate is translating. All you have to do is paste on to Google translate, it does the rest.

That must be quite a fun read, as it's obviously a fan writing it. It's not one of those automated tickers.

According to them, we had quite a rocky start and they've had more on goal, but we've been more effective so far. They're also pressing us high. If the teams are right, we're also a bit thin on the bench, no sign of Jatta or Palmer there. It could just be a mistake though. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Half time.

Notts lead 

Duisburg 0 Notts 1

20 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

That must be quite a fun read, as it's obviously a fan writing it. It's not one of those automated tickers.

According to them, we had quite a rocky start and they've had more on goal, but we've been more effective so far. They're also pressing us high. If the teams are right, we're also a bit thin on the bench, no sign of Jatta or Palmer there. It could just be a mistake though. 

Their Manger has been sent off looks like at the end of the half 

I think it was one of their coaching staff @Robbie. He wasn't in the team anyway. Probably should have kept his mouth shut.

• Like 1