Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Mariners (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Underway at the Lane.

Supporter+

JATTA.!!

Notts 1 Grimsby 0

• Like 6

Supporter+

The opener for Notts via Sky Sports.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Supporter+

CROWLEY!! 

Notts 2 Grimsby 0

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Supporter+

Supporter+

JODI JONES!!

Notts 3 Grimsby 0

Goal for Grimsby.

• Like 7

Supporter+

Half time.

Notts 3 Grimsby 1

• Like 2

Supporter+

Back to it.

Notts 3 Grimsby 1

• Like 1

Supporter+

CROWLEY!! Gets his 2nd.

Notts 4 Grimsby 1

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Supporter+

Substitutions for Notts.

Supporter+

Substitution for Notts.

Supporter+

First win of the season for Notts.

Notts 4 Grimsby 1

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Supporter+

For me, that is the best performance by Notts under Stuart Maynard.

If Notts had scored eight tonight it wouldn't have been surprising.

Dan Crowley ran the show tonight in front of the Sky Cameras.

And Jodi Jones, what can you say about him? Both of these players are absolutely class & Notts have to try to hold onto them.

Special mention for Edwards too. He was calm on the ball &  he never stopped running. He was all over the pitch. His work tonight might have slipped under the radar, but he was another Notts player that shon tonight.

Notts three up before half time, one for Jatta, Crowley & Jones in a great attacking first half 

Notts conceded again from a set piece in first half injury time. Something that needs to be worked on.

Grimsby came out in the second  half, guns blazing, determined to get back into the game but it was Notts who got  the fourth with another Crowley goal.

Crowley was so close to a hat trick later on which would have put the icing on the cake for him.

Notts finished the game comfortably with the calming influence of Matty Palmer on for the last 20 minutes.

There will be bigger tests for Notts this season, & they need to deal with set pieces & try to counter the breakaways but I'm so pleased tonight for the team & Stuart Maynard.

• Like 11

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

Controversial stuff first, I think it was handball for Crowley's goal, but I agree it wasn’t a pen for them. I hate to see soft pens given and football is a contact sport Hinchy made minimal contact. Jatta’s was offside too, but it was so marginal and the linesmen is having to make a split-second decision. It's almost like the "old days" of giving the attackers the advantage that for me, Grimsby should've cleared it anyway. What's the alternative right now, VAR? Who really wants that...

That all said and done I thought we were a level above Grimsby tonight, even if they had ruled the goals out I’d have backed us to have gone on still scored more than them. It was a very good performance and we fully deserved the 3 points. Our passing and movement was a joy to watch and we kind of eased up on them after the fourth went in. Noticeable performers for me; Hinchy did well coming on, screened the defence pretty well and moved the ball around a lot quicker. Tsaroulla looks so much more at ease and dangerous in the opposition’s half. Jatta looking like he’s capable of getting 20 goals. Edwards ran everywhere and was really good on the ball when he got it. Jones showing he can be just as much as a threat on the right as the left. Last but not least; Dan Crowley, he was just a technical footballing master out there.

I’m not sure what Grimsby’s plan was, they nearly caught us out with a couple of quick counters when we flooded forward but we wised up to it pretty well after. They looked like a team playing lucky breaks of the ball and for set-pieces and corners.

Only real shame for me is Robertson who looked sharp and on it in his short spell on the pitch. Was holding his ribs/abdomen so hopefully not a repeat strain leg injury.

• Like 8
  • Love 8

Supporter+

Tonight's four goals.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think Dan Crowley controlled the ball with his chest, not his arms, but the video angle does make it difficult to see clearly. The Grimsby player threw himself to the floor; it was one of the worst dives I have seen live. How the referee didn't book him for simulation I don't know.

Notts made a strong start, displaying great focus and determination. Notts took control after scoring the further opening goal. I'm not even sure Grimsby had an attack in the first 15–20 minutes. If they did, I don't remember it. I mean, there were times later on when we had scored the second they looked determined to make a game of it. At times, I felt nervous about just how much we relied on two defenders to deal with their quick counters.

They looked decent as a team with the ball, but clueless without it. Very poor defending, their keeper Jordan Wright had a pretty woeful game, but he was protected very well. Jodi Jones stunning goal, 100% a cross to the far post and the target was Jatta. It just flew into the net superbly, still a great goal even if he didn't mean it.

I missed the Grimsby goal, I heard it was an Owler.

It doesn't bother me, fans need to understand we are a squad that is League Two standard and some mistakes will happen. If they didn't, we wouldn't be in this league, nor would we have the quality that is in our squad. Even teams in the Premier League make fundamental mistakes, it's how you attack and learn. I believe we are showing signs, I am delighted for Stuart Maynard, and I would heap nothing but praise on the squad for an outstanding 90 minutes performance.

Coming home, I think Mark Stallard was a bit complementary to Grimsby. I don't think they were as good as he made them sound, defensively they looked woeful, and I don't think Jordan Wright is a smart choice for their first keeper. As I said, coming into the game he makes me nervous, and I think he showed why. Yes, we were class, but Grimsby didn't really help by being pretty lacklustre.

Solid win and overall performance, if we can continue to build on this we should have a good season in store.

• Like 3
  • Love 13

Supporter+

Someone on social media described  Crowley's performance tonight as Masson esque which is a very big compliment indeed.

I was privileged to watch Masson play & in some ways he does remind me of Masson, but I think Don was a bit more accomplished defensively.

But even so, to be compared with the great Don is praise indeed.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

I thought this was one of the best performances we have had in a long time, on the attack we looked like we could just keep scoring and defensively we looked like we were never conceding. Sadly we did but on the replay it looked like it was close to being blocked anyway. Overall I think the players put in a great performance and if we play like that all season we could be pushing for promotion.

• Like 8
  • Love 7

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Consistency is the key in this league. Notts have put together a couple of excellent performances. The only reason it's 4 points instead of 6 is poor defending from crosses/set pieces. That needs to be worked on. All in all, a fantastic result. 

• Like 11

Supporter+

• Like 1