Stuart Maynard; Is He Winning Over His Doubters?

Robbie

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,381
  • Days Won:  162
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Interesting statistics regarding the league record of Notts for their last eleven league matches.

Just two losses in 11 with 21 points in total gained.

Is Stuart turning things around & winning over his doubters.

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Love 6

• Content Count:  3,452
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

To be honest, I think some of those so-called fans will be eagerly awaiting our first defeat, so they can say Stuart Maynard out. More fans do seem to be warming to him, and that is important, but I still think some just dislike him due to his background not having been in professional football before coming to us and the fact there's a lot of effection to Luke Williams who would always be a difficult person to come in after.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,965
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't really want to give much thought to those fans who can't give Stuat Maynard support, however, I am not sitting on the fence here, but I can understand why some fans were doubtful. I would hope by now we're all mostly on board with him as the head coach.

Much of last season was a natural thing, which thankfully we pushed through but in terms of learning experience that is vital.

I have always found Maynard to be insightful with his approach to setting up the team; I could see and acknowledge the weaknesses in the squad. I think there was an element that some players performed better under Luke Williams, that might be considered to be his players and that they didn't quite give Maynard the support. The main thing is pushing and improving, returning to League One could be massive for Notts.

There's little reason for negativity towards him, but I do feel there are some fans who can't give credit when it's due.

Defensively, this season we are better, and I honestly believe credit here is somewhat deserved to Maynard. I believe if WIlliams were still here, he would have been asking the board for more attacking minded players and that we might still have some faults in defence.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

When players with the pedigree of David McGoldrick are praising Stuart’s technical and tactical prowess I don’t feel he has a case to answer.

Considering the relatively short time he’s been with us I am personally totally confident he will be taking this club into League One.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

I think the people who had reasonable doubts early on have been reassured somewhat. I include myself in that and really want to be eating humble pie come May! We haven't played any of the teams that are expected to challenge yet, but we do know beyond any reasonable doubt that the players have confidence in him and are playing for him. Results have turned around too. What's not to like?

Of course there are the usual idiots who just wait for us to lose a game, but that's also a part of football unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  184

2 hours ago, Alan Carnell said:

When players with the pedigree of David McGoldrick are praising Stuart’s technical and tactical prowess I don’t feel he has a case to answer.

Considering the relatively short time he’s been with us I am personally totally confident he will be taking this club into League One.

I do agree with your sentiment, but I would say it depends on who said it, despite their pedigree, as some players will back their manager. I don’t think David McGoldrick would vouch for someone if he didn’t agree, but clubs can get players to falsely validate their managers. We experienced this to some extent with Jamie Fullarton. Although it wasn’t a “current player,” someone advised Les Bradd to speak highly of Fullarton, and I don’t believe any of it is true. I feel he did it with good intent, to try to help him, but whoever encouraged it was largely misguided, and it hasn’t aged well.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Notts County legend Les Bradd says manager Jamie Fullarton reminds him of the club's greatest ever boss Jimmy Sirrel.

• Like 6

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,882

i get the doubts but those who called for his head, including after this pre season are just fickle. they will moan when we lose stability and wont ever be happy. i swear they just wait for something to be negative about. i dont think many of them actually go to games. those who do who had fair concerns, i think they will be more on board now and i get that. i dont reasonable doubters enjoy seeing the aggressive ones calling for the head coaches head at any given time.

we have a good squad, have a poor spell and these come out of the woodwork moaning about how they dont care. i sometimes i have to hold back from commenting, as when i see this i just want to ask them if they care about notts or just to complain?

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

There are doubters and then there are negative nellies. I think he will continue to win fans over if the results keep coming. You can see how organised he has got the squad. There are signs that the football is becoming second nature and fluid. Notts looks much better on the ball and far superior without it. I just don’t think Notts can ever please some of those extremely anti-commenters.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

All winning does with those extreme negative fans is shut them up, but they quickly come back, criticising the head coach and the club. As for the genuine doubters, they need to get on board and believe. Stay positive and see how the season unfolds. Stuart Maynard hasn’t done much wrong this season, so I don’t see why that doesn’t deserve some faith. Surely fans can see how well Notts are doing? Those who can’t, I’d imagine, are just being foolish.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  1,120
  • Days Won:  17

I'll be Honest I was very doubtful about Stuart Maynard's appointment ( but I never wanted him to fail)  I didn't think he was capable of making the step up from the National League to League 2, one of the main worries I had was he was only a Part Time Manager and a full time BT Engineer. But Kudos to the Guy, he came in when Notts were due to face the front runners in League 2 and was trying to fill the shoes of one of the most Popular Notts Manager/Head Coaches in recent years, plus the Recruitment team Failed in bringing in any Top Class Defenders in the January Transfer Window. But despite all the Flack he received he stuck at his job and with him and his staff having a full preseason he's managing to Mold the Magpies Squad into a Team that's not worried about changing things around. There will of course be Bigger Challengers coming up for Notts and how SM's Team performs against teams ear marked for Promotion this Season, will give a Clear indication of how the Club, will fare in 2024/2025. 

He's made an excellent Start so far. One of his biggest challengers this term will be, how he copes and Lifts the Squad after a defeat, I think that will give the Fans a True indication of how well he will do at the Lane.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

It will be a big test next week against Gillingham at home.

They have started well too, and it will be a mouthwatering top of the table clash.

It will show how far Notts have come from last season if they can put in a good performance & win well.

It will be a tough game, but Notts do have a strong squad, a mean defence & good defensive midfielders.

It's a cliché but Notts have to cut out the defensive errors to an absolute minimum.

If in doubt kick it out or upfield to Jatta. He does give Notts an outlet when he's playing rather than McGoldrick.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,120
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

Didzy as started this season well and as produced some fine performances plus goals. Yesterday Jatta produced a Super Sub performance. The only real worry about the guys up front, is the form of Cedwyn Scott, I'm not sure if he's fully over his injury of last season and he also suffered a knock, in a previous game. I also think SM is playing him out of position, he's given Ceds the number 9 shirt but is playing him deeper, not in the traditional number 9 position.

Hopefully young Mister Bass has learned his lesson, boot the ball up field don't fanny about with it, in Dangerous Areas. I'm still concerned about every Notts player being brought back to defend corners, I think with all those bodies in the box players, tend to get in each others way. The Gillingham game as you say will be a Massive Test for the Magpies, but being on Home Turf should give the team an advantage.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  276

The start of his reign was poor, but anyone who believes it would have been different under Luke Williams is mistaken. I loved our time with Williams in charge of Notts. He spoke so well, but defensively he never had the solutions.

I don’t want to sound like I outright blame Williams. I am just trying to make the case and point that I doubt he would have managed to change the downward fall in performances our players took. Also, I doubt defensively much would have changed now. Williams clearly got on well with certain players and I think he had a sentimental approach to retaining players and who played.

Stuart Maynard deserves much of the praise for where we are now. I don’t see why anyone would have doubts. The squad hasn’t just turned it around. Neither is it solely down to the club’s recruitment. I hope more come on board and get behind Maynard. He’s working hard and the lads seem just as fired up now as they ever did under Williams.

Look, both coaches are good in their own right. Williams will be forever remembered as the man who restored our club’s pride and gave us an amazing season and a decent return to the EFL. But it’s Maynard’s time now. If you want the club to succeed and get back up the leagues, support him like you would the club. Keep the negative thoughts to a minimum until it’s valid. It never was last season, because the issue needed time and new players to turn around. We are seeing that now, I feel.

• Love 2

Supporter+

Well said @The Heff Good post.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  616
  • Days Won:  1

The really annoying "fans" who are against Stuart Maynard will probably say it's still early days or only credit the squad. However, I think those who were unsure are now starting to come around, if they haven't already. I'm pleased for Maynard, he’s making the right decisions. Others have mentioned it before, but he’s learning professional football as he goes, and it’s good to see it paying off, especially when he could have easily been sacked.

• Like 1