Alan Smith player coach?

Supporter+

I've heard this rumour today, has anyone else heard anything?

Heard this alot in the past week. Seems like a superb idea, but one reservation, wages. As long as he is moving to a much smaller wage than he would be used to then I'm all for it. Another voice in the dressing room and on the field is a good idea and we would certainly help motivate the middle of the park. Not sure how we would line up though with Derry, Liddle and Smith all looking to be be on the defensive side of things. A creative ball sprayer would be my main need.

Alan Smith is a weird one.

He's no doubt a good player, still gifted. However, I haven't seen much of him in this league and I really not sure how he would be a valued asset. Considering the risk of injury, plus his wages... It just seems somewhat unlikely for me.

Yea Not feeling Alan Smith being picked up. Wages, etc. I think we need to find some younger player along the same lines as hissingdwarf said. I'd say some defenders that do better against free kicks. and a few midfielders who can distribute better and hold on to it. 

Alan Smith is a leader, he does have that impact and his experience should be useful to players.

Still, I have concerns about wages and injury but it cannot harm really. I trust Shauns and Gregs judgement :)

Supporter+

Radio Nottingham are reporting that he has had a medical and is expected to sign today.

Supporter+

This is official now. Player/Coach. Doubt he'll play much. Injury prone.Will be a good coach I reckon. 

This could be an excellent signing.He doesn't shirk responsibility and isn't short on effort.He's on a one year contract.

He will be the shrewdest signing of the close season. Everything we need in a player after the past year. Of course age is a factor, but I value the experience hes bringing to the team.

After watching SD's interview on MP I'm really impressed with the way we are handling ourselves. Like the two week deadline on the out of contract players especially. If they want to be here sign up. If not go and let us rebuild for the future.

Alan Smith talked about mentoring the young players alot so I think we will see a much better balance of youth and much needed experience this year.

Very pleased and roll on more signings!!! 

I was wondering if there a deadline with offered contracts. So please he's given them a 2 week deadline.

So i'm presuming May 9th ish they were offered Contracts, So by the end of the month we should know quite well how our team might line up.

It's going to be an interesting Couple of weeks

I reckon Liddle, Balmy, Dixon will sign. I honestly think Sheehan will leave us.  

Kyle Dixon had signed before the end of the season review, it wasn't announced though.

I watched the interview with Alan Smith on the MP, he seems to say the right things and as a coach he will have plenty to offer our younger pros. I hope he see's this as more than just a club, I hope he see's it as his chance to end his career on an high. As his time with the MK Dons was a little like ????? as far as I'm concerned. A lot of surprise surrounding the deal but little attraction after.

Hopefully with all the NCFC fans singing him and the lads on will inspire him.

Archived