Garages

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Taking the grandchildren home last night, they ran on to the drive and rushed back saying the car had gone. "It's in the garage" was my reply, apparently they never use the garage at their house it's a storage area.

This got me to thinking I reckon I am one of the few people who actually use a garage to house the car!

What about you? Anyone else put their car in the garage?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Our garage is full of junk and c**p left over the old owner, at some stage we will be getting some new doors and possible a side door to access the garage from the background rather than coming off the driveway.

So, at this stage you seem alone.

PS. I also don't own a car yet.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i used to park my toy cars in the garage i had as youngster if that counts?

my mum parks on the driveway and the garage is empty.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

As Notts joe said... The garage is full of junk and summer stuff like a lawnmower and gardening stuff, along with kids outdoor toys like paddling pools so they block up the house, but there still seems to be too much outdoor junk inside the house. I did go through the garage abit when we got the house but didn't have enough space or time to clear it all out. Everyone i know of who has a garage seems to use it for storage and park the car somewhere else.

Supporter+

@tonyhateley you do realise your car insurance would come down significantly if you didn't park your car in a garage??

I don't know how you work that out @Northants Pie I would have thought the opposite, surely a car locked in a garage is more secure than on the drive or the street?

I'd love to hear your reasoning.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I dont think I could get our grand Picasso in the garage if I tried! Way too small unless you own a fiesta or a smart car!

Ours is full of triple, double and numerous other pushchairs, Ben's wheelchair, 'garagey' stuff like drills etc, chest freezer, kids go karts and bikes... the list goes on and on.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

I don't know how you work that out @Northants Pie I would have thought the opposite, surely a car locked in a garage is more secure than on the drive or the street?

I'd love to hear your reasoning.

I used to park my car in a garage, when it (the garage) got broken into and the car got scratched I decided to just leave it on the street, when I phoned my car insurance my quote went down by just over £100, totally startled I asked them why and they said that they base it on risk of total damage.

If your car is in a garage and is either broken into / set on fire / vandalised it is most likely to be done without the perpetrators being disturbed, if you park it on the road their is a far higher chance that the damage will be limited due to the perpetrators being disturbed.

• Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

I used to park my car in a garage, when it (the garage) got broken into and the car got scratched I decided to just leave it on the street, when I phoned my car insurance my quote went down by just over £100, totally startled I asked them why and they said that they base it on risk of total damage.

If your car is in a garage and is either broken into / set on fire / vandalised it is most likely to be done without the perpetrators being disturbed, if you park it on the road their is a far higher chance that the damage will be limited due to the perpetrators being disturbed.

Makes sense I guess. I too always thought parking it in garages was good for insurance purposes.

Makes sense I guess. I too always thought parking it in garages was good for insurance purposes.

It's not right though, by the very fact that you are trying to keep it safe should count massively in your favour, the bloke did say for an insurers he used to work for charged more for cars kept in a garage joined onto a house as the total cost of a fire could run into the £100's of thousands

Supporter+

I'm not doubting your word @Northants Pie but I still find that very hard to believe. My car is in a garage which is behind locked gates and the insurance would be cheaper if it was on the road????

On the road it is highly visible, liable to be hit by another car at risk from opportunist vandals just passing. In the garage the would be vandal/thief has got to get onto my property through a locked gate get to the garage without being spotted whilst lit up by security lights, then they have got to break in the garage which is alarmed if all that doesn't put them off they might then find the car isn't in there.

If the garage is attached to a hours and a car fire causes damage to the house then the house insurance would cover it surely.

I'm not doubting your word @Northants Pie but I still find that very hard to believe. My car is in a garage which is behind locked gates and the insurance would be cheaper if it was on the road????

On the road it is highly visible, liable to be hit by another car at risk from opportunist vandals just passing. In the garage the would be vandal/thief has got to get onto my property through a locked gate get to the garage without being spotted whilst lit up by security lights, then they have got to break in the garage which is alarmed if all that doesn't put them off they might then find the car isn't in there.

If the garage is attached to a hours and a car fire causes damage to the house then the house insurance would cover it surely.

Honestly I agree wholeheartedly with you, it just goes to show how insurance companies rip people off, yours might be cheaper as it is given the conditions under which it is kept.

The biggest thing for me though is just how insurance companies get more money out of people when you are doing all they can to eliminate problems happening

• Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I would of thought keeping a car in a garage would be cheaper on insurance myself too. I think insurance companys ask if you have off street parking, but not sure if it specifically says 'garage'. If it did and i had a car.. my garage is not joined to my house so i'd be ok. If it was joined i'd probably turn it into a room and buy a secure shed.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Oh bugger... I need to contact my insurance company and change where my car is kept overnight

Supporter+

I've been reading up on this and it seems it depends on who you are insured with. I still find it unbelievable but i will certainly check with my insurance company when renewal time comes round, thanks for telling us about this @Northants Pie

I've been reading up on this and it seems it depends on who you are insured with. I still find it unbelievable but i will certainly check with my insurance company when renewal time comes round, thanks for telling us about this @Northants Pie

No worries 

Archived