Star of the day

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Our grandson George came home with a trophy on Friday as he had won "Star of the Day" he was bursting with pride and his mum and dad and us were really pleased because he has had a few behavioural problems of late so hopefully he has turned the corner.

It's a long time since I went to school but I can't remember any incentives or trophies for us in those days only punishment if we didn't behave! How times change.

Do your children/grandchildren get incentives to behave? Is it a good or bad thing? Should kids be rewarded for being good at school or punished for being bad?

What are your thoughts?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

Well done to your grandson, I don't know what to think really. Should you be awarded for doing something you should be doing?

I guess if it works then it's a good thing.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

The age old argument of rewarding the bad for not being so bad! Occurs in staff rooms all over the country.

In my opinion, in a case such as @tonyhateley uses then it a very good thing. All some children need is that little glimmer of pride and achievement to move forwards. Star of the day allows the teacher to include everyone in a short space of time without any lasting 'that's not fair' comments. It's when the behaviour becomes more severe that the reward system falls down as children who do behave see the reward, whatever it may be, as rewarding negatives. Examples such as taking a select group of disruptive children rock climbing etc... That's the bit I disagree with. Let the parents take them rock climbing. The school environment should be equal to all children in the chances to develop. Star of the day, week, writer of the week etc...allows all children to be praised in a positive light.

Supporter+

The age old argument of rewarding the bad for not being so bad! Occurs in staff rooms all over the country.

In my opinion, in a case such as @tonyhateley uses then it a very good thing. All some children need is that little glimmer of pride and achievement to move forwards. Star of the day allows the teacher to include everyone in a short space of time without any lasting 'that's not fair' comments. It's when the behaviour becomes more severe that the reward system falls down as children who do behave see the reward, whatever it may be, as rewarding negatives. Examples such as taking a select group of disruptive children rock climbing etc... That's the bit I disagree with. Let the parents take them rock climbing. The school environment should be equal to all children in the chances to develop. Star of the day, week, writer of the week etc...allows all children to be praised in a positive light.

Thanks for that @hissingdwarf its good to hear it from a teachers perspective. George is only 6 and whilst his behaviour is sometimes a little challenging his parents, ourselves and his school are doing their best to help him manage it better and it is working his temper outbursts etc., are becoming less frequent. He was really proud of his achievement and couldn't wait to show us and I thought it was a really good idea to praise him when he had been good otherwise all he gets is negative comments and that can cause problems.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Well done George.All kids seem to go through stages where their behaviour can be less than ideal.It's all part of growing up.A bit of praise and encouragement and a small reward goes a long way in helping kids along the right path.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I remember this from when I was at school in the 80s and 90s - my parents didn't like it as it was the kids who normally misbehaved who were rewarded. It didn't bother me - if it helped bring a bit of harmony to the classroom, why not? Mind you, it probably sounds quite novel to you old 'uns whose idea of a reward was a clip round the ear instead of the cane  :devil:

Unfortunately a lot of kids only get attention from their parents when they misbehave, and this reinforces bad habits. Positive incentives like this go some small way towards redressing the balance.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

When fostering we had young people with a variety of issues..the way we did it was to reward good... but punish bad... so for arguments sake when the YP did well at say sports... we would get them something like a sports drink flask... if they did well academically they would get something like a book or token.. bad behaviour resulted in the usual grounding and surendering of in those days it was nintendo.. etc

It did work in the majority of cases

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's boring at school, they've killed the fun and turn it into some sort of modern under aged prison - all because of idiots.

I think if you encourage and praise the rewards are massive, just look at work places? You used to get Christmas gifts, bonuses and work based contributions but these have started to go.

Children are always worth praising, it gives them confidence and even bullies deserve that. In my opinion some can do great work, yet because they're complicated and awkward they get over looked when really prising them could help. Majority of them lack that type of compassion and understanding, children on low confidence too but I think it's a great thing.

Well Done to George.

When Jake was given star of the week when he was in infants, it meant the world to him.

Supporter+

It was parents evening the other night and my son and daughter in law went while we baby sat, apparently academically he is flying but he just needs to sort out his people skills, he doesn't interact very well with some other children and some adults. He is the eldest in his class and a lot more forward than most of the others, it's a shame he wasn't born a week or two earlier because he would be in the next year if he had, I think he finds a lot of the work they do as boring and needs extra stimulation.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

good on him for being awarded star of the week, its only positives for me.

Archived