Sean Newton [Signs]

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Lincoln City defender Sean Newton signs for Notts County

9477647-large.jpg

Sean Newton has left Lincoln City to join League One outfit Notts County on loan until the end of the season.

The left back is out of contract this summer and has had a number of Football League clubs chasing his signature, but no deal was done before the January Transfer Window slammed shut last week.

The 26-year-old has been a sterling performer for Lincoln this season having created 11 goals, the second highest in the division and will be remembered for his hat-trick against Alfreton in the FA Cup at Sincil Bank.

He has weighed in with four league goals, but it his creativity from set-pieces and out wide which has interested Notts County boss Sean Derry, who is keen to improve his side's goals output.

The Echo understands Newton's move has been financially beneficial to the club.

Cranston has gone out on loan, this deal is a swop it seems. I liked Cranston, lets hope this lad is better (as it seems we might sign him permanently at the end of the season).

Thoughts?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Sounds promising, we haven't had someone who is really good at set pieces since Sheehan left.

It would appear Cranston is out of favour.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

I don't see the logic in sending out a player on loan and bringing one in. I just hope he's good at we don't become struck with loan players.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I would guess after the loan they have an option to buy perm. Strange though as I thought Cranston was a solid replacement for Adams, just needing a little game time regularly. Not a big fan of Adams tbh. Didn't see this one happening though. I would have thought a CB would have been more on the radar. 

Perhaps this will free Adams to move up into midfield? Or possibly, he may be able to play in different positions himself.

Who knows? :P

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

sounds like a good player from what i have read, people seem to question his defending and he does seem a lot like adams. hopefully he offers us something we miss and we can him settle.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Trial by Wikipedia shows he has spent most/all of his time in non league. That doesn't look promising.

However, Neal Bishop spent most of his time in non league and was probably a Championship/Higher end L1 player. Willing to give the lad a chance!

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

We have to give him chance, I don't know a lot about him but he sounds promising. Notts must gamble like this and if he does well, snap him up.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

Trial by Wikipedia shows he has spent most/all of his time in non league. That doesn't look promising.

However, Neal Bishop spent most of his time in non league and was probably a Championship/Higher end L1 player. Willing to give the lad a chance!

You might aswell as Rodwell for his opinion while you are at it, records dont mean owt but i struggle to understand this transfer.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

Sounds like the lad has good shoulders on him, though if we are paying to loan him its madness. What did Cranston do wrong?

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

Sounds like the lad has good shoulders on him, though if we are paying to loan him its madness. What did Cranston do wrong?

Agreed, thought Cranston always did ok. Maybe he'll get more playing time at Lincoln which is a good thing

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

One of us (Lincoln or Notts) is laughing and the other one has well and truly had its pants pulled down....

Which club is going to be coming out on top here, who knows...

But like Clifton, I don't quite get it

Why is a modern LB consider a player who can't defend but can attack? The talk of this, especially on Twitter made me laugh. The modern defender does both, they have to do both! It's just obvious that some don't play in the right position or are not consistently good enough to do both.

The same can be applied for some of the Premiership left/right backs who clearly look like wingers.~

What do you folks think?

I'm excited about seeing Newton, as I am not the biggest fan of Adams - good player but very overrated for someone who's pretty average. He's not rubbish, somewhere in the middle for me but he can get better.

• Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed, thought Cranston always did ok. Maybe he'll get more playing time at Lincoln which is a good thing

He may come back, there are reports that there is nothing suggest his move is perminent. Being on our fringe would not help the lad, I will give you that.

Archived