What's Liverpool like?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I'm coming to England soon and bringing the lady with me, and as has become the habit we're going to visit a town or city for a bit of a cultural expedition. We've already done London, Coventry, Lincoln and York, and for this time I've suggested going somewhere for a couple of nights, Chester, Durham, Stratford upon Avon, or possibly Newcastle or Birmingham. However, to my surprise she's suddenly developed an interest in going to Liverpool.

Liverpool is one of the places I've never visited. Apart from the "three graces", is it worth visiting?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

It is to be fair. Shed loads of cash was thrown at Liverpool in the past 30 years to modernize the centre and the dock area and it is genuinely a nice place to visit now Lots of things to see and do. Has a nice feel about it too. Watch out for scouse women walking around in their onesies or dressing gowns though. They're famed for it. Not a pretty sight on some of them!

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

sorry,never been there.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

Full of Scousers! 😒

I'd pick Manchester over Liverpool. Again plenty of money spent. Lots round Salford Quays- Imperial War Museum, Tate Gallery etc. Media city, Coronation St? And Old Traffords worth the tour

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Very friendly, plus I should note my only visit was during the cup game we played against them but considering Liverpool's reputation it wasn't anything at all like that. I could imagine visiting the city for non footballing reasons would be really enjoyable!

I found people within the city to be very friendly, not just Liverpool fans.

We didn't work around the city, yet the streets surrounding their ground look rough, it's worse working around the Meadows or St Ann's. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine who runs a Liverpool fan site said the cities got a bad reputation for violence but it's not at all like that, he did say they have a problem with pick pockets and petty crime but since they won the city of culture things have improved a lot. I asked him about going, as I wasn't sure about taking @super_pie despite us both wanting to go.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Thanks everyone, I'm starting to warm to the idea! I quite fancy visiting the Kasbah club. I didn't really think of crime @notts-joe, whereever you go you need to keep your wits about you. I've met quite a few people from Liverpool and always found them to be very friendly. They can't really do much about the accent!

I'm not worried about Scouse women in onesies @hissingdwarf, I've been to Barnsley!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It's one of the places I have never been but it's on my list. "scouse women walking around in their onesies or dressing gowns" the mind boggles.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I've only been to Liverpool once and that was over 60 years ago when my grandparents took me with them on an excursion to Liverpool and New Brighton.The only things I can remember is the Liverpool Overhead Railway,which is long gone and going through The Mersey Tunnel which I thought at the time was really exciting.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have no idea about cultural experiences in Liverpool, but it's a quality night out!

Why doesn't this comment surprise me? :P

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Absolute dump when I lived in the United Kingdom. Manchester is a brilliant city to visit, crammed full of things to do and rich in history.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

The women actually go out at night in the pyjamas and dressing gowns.... I suppose it makes it easier if you pull

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

never been but i have heard things about it being a right tip.

Archived