Match Discussion Game 40: The Cobblers (A)

ivansneck

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

It sounds like a good atmosphere at Northampton.

Shame I couldn't get there!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It sounds like we are a little nervous, well if we are - get the ball down and pass it smartly.

Northampton just had a good chance to go 1-0 up, we need to treat that as a warning sign. COME ON NOTTS! Lets get this game going.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

mark stallard keeps saying we are getting chances and need to do more in the final third, the liveliness has gone from the game.

seems stale now.

1-1 now, get in there! COYP

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

Suprised we got back on level terms so quickly, Notts need to take their time and make of Aborahs balls.

Notts worked hard to go level, had the chance to go 2-1 ahead and in typical fashion we undo all the good effort. It sounds like we could have done far more, but I hope to hear fans singing 'em on because you never know. I don't think we can write it off at 2-2! Both teams clearly want to win.

COYP!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

Very good point! Good to see the lads fighting back and going ahead!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Penalty video (safe link) - Here

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

It sounds like the team is progressing, and the players working for each other.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Good point but down to 20th now. Better days ahead surely. Preferably at Mansfield.....

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

What a difference a decent manager makes.

Highlights: I personally feel both penalties was soft to give, though I would say both players went down easy - the Northampton Town player looked for it.

Thoughts?

Watching the Northampton penalty it looks like Northampton players ran into the penalty area before the ball was kicked, for me it should have been disallowed.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

Still concerned about Atkinson at RB...gave away the penalty ( looked soft but was out of position) and then a poor touch coming back the way nearly led to 3-2 was it not for a bad finish. Hey, 2 goals though ! and a point away at Northampton so its an improvement 

@NewNottsFan I much prefer Hewitt, I think the back four hasn't allowed him to settle or do his best myself. We have seen it with Swerts who lost his form when we moved him around (when he was here). I'm not the biggest fan of Atkinson myself, I don't think he offers much but pace - I see potential but for me Hewitt is a very decent RB who has shown he's still learning himself.

Agreed @NewNottsFan on the radio it sounded as though Atkinson struggled at times. I know @Piethagoram  has staked the claim for one of the youth team to get a game. I think Notts could do with having a settled back four for a while, I think the team would benefit and whoever is chosen at RB would improve. It must be a long time since Notts had the same defence for a reasonable run of games.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

2 hours ago, notts-joe said:

@NewNottsFan I much prefer Hewitt, I think the back four hasn't allowed him to settle or do his best myself. We have seen it with Swerts who lost his form when we moved him around (when he was here). I'm not the biggest fan of Atkinson myself, I don't think he offers much but pace - I see potential but for me Hewitt is a very decent RB who has shown he's still learning himself.

Sorry to disagree. Hewitt's lack of blocking crosses has been very apparent this season. Even the build up to the penalty, Hewitt loses his man again.

@Piethagoram I'm going to throw a tantrum you didn't just concur with me. :angel:

I think he would improve, if allowed to settle as the RB and two CB's established themselves.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@notts-joe I have seen enough of Luther Wildin to convince me he is the future. Look at the unexpected dividends at Old Trafford when their youth were thrown in. Plus I need to make a serious attempt for Guy's job :D ...just kidding  

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

I wonder what is classed as a goal scoring opportunity nowadays. Mansfield had Pearce sent off when he gave away a penalty, which looked harsh to me as the forward was not in a good position to shoot. 

John Stead, inside the 6 year box, with a clear shot and only the keeper to beat yet the referee didn't think that this was a chance to score and the clear foul on him was not worth a red card.

I can only assume that he has seen he Notts forwards in action before this season.

I wonder what is classed as a goal scoring opportunity nowadays. Mansfield had Pearce sent off when he gave away a penalty, which looked harsh to me as the forward was not in a good position to shoot. 

John Stead, inside the 6 year box, with a clear shot and only the keeper to beat yet the referee didn't think that this was a chance to score and foul on him was not worth a card.

I can only assume that he has seen he Notts forwards in action before this season.

Referees are very inconsistent but I suppose that's part and parcel of the game, human error is something that can change the game completely, one ref would give a blatant foul but another ref would call it a dive, theres no real consistency, I understand that as people they can't get everything right but even in the premier league the refereeing in some games is poor

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

Referees are very inconsistent I agree @ohstanleyaborahbut if we don't highlight the differences they will never get uniformity. I mentioned this incident as it was 2 games where the same decision needed to be made - was it a goal scoring opportunity - and we got 2 results. IMO the clearer chance fell to Stead, and as there was no attempt to tackle just a push in the back, the referee MUST give a red.. but he didn't. So one official  applies the laws as they are given, the other bottled it.

Referees are very inconsistent I agree @ohstanleyaborahbut if we don't highlight the differences they will never get uniformity. I mentioned this incident as it was 2 games where the same decision needed to be made - was it a goal scoring opportunity - and we got 2 results. IMO the clearer chance fell to Stead, and as there was no attempt to tackle just a push in the back, the referee MUST give a red.. but he didn't. So one official  applies the laws as they are given, the other bottled it.

I don't understand it myself, I'm pretty sure the laws of football are set in stone so it shouldn't be down to the refs interpretation, if its a goal scoring opportunity then its a red

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

20 hours ago, notts-joe said:

Disagree. Don't think Hewitt has learnt a thing. He doesn't complete the very basics of defending. These methods of defending, such as tracking your man or getting goal-side, are taught to 5 year olds. Hewitt has been using his pace to get him out of these situations, and it's just not good enough. 

Some people just can't defend, it's a mentality thing, how many times will Hewitt have to be told how to defend before he can complete it? 

Archived