Has Stanley a future at Notts?

Piethagoram

I've noticed on Social Media, the tides turning against Stanley. I know Elite on here has expressed hos own reservations and even I am now doubting Stanley's contributions.... but having said that, I don't think he is being helped by those around him. O'Connor was anonymous yesterday and didnt step up to a captain's duty. Rodman just drifts in and out and his ability to put in decent crosses remains questioned.

So perhaps Jamie "He who should be named" was right all along..... However, I would still rather have Stanley than Smith's limited mobility. What really holds Stanley back is his lack of real shooting ability.

Supporter+

What is Stanley's best position? I don't know. Awful mistake for the 2nd goal yesterday. Better than Smith? Yes of course.

I think every player's performance would improve if they helped the player with the ball by moving into space quicker. If people are going to suddenly turn on Aborah for one mistake then that's a shame. Speaking of Rodman when he gets the ball and goes at defenders he does well, but watching him in the first half yesterday he seemed to lag behind if it was another Notts player attacking down the wing, so a few moves fizzled out.

For me Stan would benefit from playing alongside Collins as he seems to be on the same wave length ie two mins quicker than the majority, a mistake is just that those moaning need to get over it tbh. O'Connor made one with the penalty, they move on we need to move on.

Whilst you can question his contribution at times ask yourself this: How many times does he have to turn back inwards as the pass he is looking to play isn't there? (By that i mean the players haven't even thought about moving into the space by the time Stan has turned back inwards)

Aborah should have a future as a regular, and perhaps that should be a squad rotation position?

There's no doubt about the class he brings to us and its hard to say, but I think once things click properly we may see him improve. There have been signs of the gem he can be, however we haven't seen it that much so far but he should still have a future ahead of some of the fringe players. I know there are fans calling for Milsom to play but if he's this injury prone, I would rather see him out of favour.

7 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

I've noticed on Social Media, the tides turning against Stanley. I know Elite on here has expressed hos own reservations and even I am now doubting Stanley's contributions.... but having said that, I don't think he is being helped by those around him. O'Connor was anonymous yesterday and didnt step up to a captain's duty. Rodman just drifts in and out and his ability to put in decent crosses remains questioned.

So perhaps Jamie "He who should be named" was right all along..... However, I would still rather have Stanley than Smith's limited mobility. What really holds Stanley back is his lack of real shooting ability.

My big gripe about Aborah is that I feel he is so easy for the opposition to play against.  If we had a real all action ball-winner like Neal Bishop alongside him he might flourish, but we don't.  I was hoping that O'Connor might fill that role, but he was a real disappointment yesterday.  That means that if Stanley is part of a 4 man midfield we are physically very weak and invariably out muscled.  If we switch to a 5 man midfield to accommodate him we have to sacrifice a striker, and he just doesn't do enough in a creative or goalscoring sense to justify changing the team to operate around him.  If it's a choice between Aborah or Smith, I would reluctantly go for Smith.  Alan Smith at least gives a physical presence in midfield, and while winning a tackle or header won't draw the same applause as a fancy turn leaving a player on his backside followed by a sideways pass, in my opinion it's probably more important.  Stan wins on artistry, Smithy wins on effectiveness.  This is purely a guess on my part, but I think opposing managers would rather see the name Aborah on our teamsheet than Smith.  Difficult question regarding his future here, I hope Sheridan can make use of his skills, but I don't think we have the type of player needed to cover his weaknesses in the squad.

For those of us with Magpie Player, watch the highligts and Stan set everything up and looked really good until he made that mistake.

I get your point @Elite_pie but for me its just part of the squad settling down and then we will see what we are capable of.

In that note we need to play Oliver and Collins and for me those to make way have to be Rodman and Forte

Stan in  the defensive third is maybe a risk when playing a team that press high , but a place for him in the team for me is a yes in a creative position we just need to find the team balance and movement to fully benefit , we are still a work in progress , I think our general play and fluency will improve .

Some pretty good comments on here regarding Stan, but for me he has to improve two things:
1- He has to up his work ethic, ambling round the pitch leaves us short in the middle of the park and teams have worked this out so press us more.
2 - When in possession he has to move the ball quicker and he has to move it forwards, otherwise he is just going to turn into Butch Wilkins and we aren't going to hurt any teams that way.
I will admit that it doesn't help him at the moment with our lack of width and hopefully Collins might provide that outlet for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always said I'd rather make mistakes in the oppositions box then our own six yard box.

Stan is good at times yes but as for oconner missing the penalty that could of happened to anyone yes he didn't have a brilliant game no.

But Stan should never of played that back to the goalie he should of just cleared it if in doubt hel know that himself.

Archived