Notts County HMRC wind-up order and transfer embargo

Joe Jones

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

The Mirror has covered Notts County's impending court visit on Monday following a winding-up petition from HMRC over a tax bill.

They say: "(Notts are) believed to be debts in excess of £500,000, and the Nottingham-based team also needed help from the Football League to pay players' wages late last month.

"Owner Ray Trew has been trying to sell up, and to raise funds as loans.

"Mirror Sport understands County have agreed to sell 15-year-old whizkid Jack Bearne to Liverpool for about £150,000."

Trew himself is quoted as telling the Mirror: “Our petition will be settled ahead of the hearing and that’s all there is to it.

“Firstly I want to know why this is even worthy of column inches when this is not news at all. Hartlepool and Bury have recently been in the High Court and this didn’t warrant a story, so why is Notts County a story?

“The only story you need to write about is why there are so many football clubs being issued with winding up petitions by HMRC.

“If you search the London Gazette and indeed the court listings you will see the likes of Morecambe, Southend and Bolton have all in the last week or so been issued with petitions.

“The fact is HMRC do not treat football clubs like they do other businesses and you will need to speak to them or the Treasury as to the reasons why, but my feeling is we are low-hanging fruit.

“Outside of football I own an accountancy practice and I have clients who not only owe vast sums (ten times what we owe) and are six months in arrears of PAYE but also maybe two quarters behind in their VAT, yet they don’t get issued with such petitions or indeed treated as we do in football.”

In addition, the SLO has confirmed that, as part of the winding-up petition, Notts are under a transfer embargo.

SLO.jpg

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Bemusing and very, very concerning.

It seems annoyance is being had by the pressure of the UK media but its there for a reason, they believe this to be a story. You can't moan that nobody gives us coverage about the good times (like what happened when the club celebrated its 150th year) then say this is a non story.

If the club goes into admin, considering our history it would be a huge story.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Its not that concerning tbh, all clubs operate like this.

The transfer embargo is automatic due to the court case.

Ask yourselves why none of the big PLC's are ever handed petitions like these yet they owe tens of millions more.

I think we all just need to chill out a little and just look forward to the Peterborough game.

I do wonder if we do go up this season if some of the so called fans who have caused the main problems will be just as quick to offer apologies as they were the disgusting and vile abuse they handed out.

5 hours ago, Northants Pie said:

I do wonder if we do go up this season if some of the so called fans who have caused the main problems will be just as quick to offer apologies as they were the disgusting and vile abuse they handed out.

You make a valid point regarding the Premier League teams.

However, you've lost me on the part I've quoted. I'm not sure any of our problems can be pin-pointed to any minority of fans who have given any sort of trouble to the club or to certain people. Main problems are beyond a few fans or the 'banned from Meadow Lane club'. Only time will tell if @ivansneck's rumours have merit, yet I'm not overly worried - I would be a fool if I said I wasn't concerned.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/notts-countys-future-doubt-winding-9466376#ICID=sharebar_twitter

I feel concerned that the level of our local media reporting falls way short of the standard expected.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

3 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/notts-countys-future-doubt-winding-9466376#ICID=sharebar_twitter

I feel concerned that the level of our local media reporting falls way short of the standard expected.

Exactly my thoughts, 'why can't the local rag produce a story like this'.

The quotes from RT are distressing, and tell of his attitude towards Notts. We can't pay our bills, but look, those other clubs can't either!

@Super_Danny_Allsopp Yes, just like a scenario where say a local paper, just as an example, has a bad story to tell about a company, who happens to be your biggest source of advertising revenue to that paper. So do you run the story and face revenue loss because that company will pull its advertising budget from you or be brave, and publish in the the public interest?

So nobody else noticed the difference after The Post got banned from Meadow Lane?

It all suddenly became hard to swallow after that PR disaster, however it would seem its more of an avoidance of having issues with prams etc.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Journalist do your job be informative with the facts , nothing malicious just reporting on what they know , local media is shockingly poor , more disappointed with the radio myself , absolute pants .

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

If this was a single winding-up order caused by an administrative slip-up then Mr Trew would be right. It would be a non-story.

But in our case we have been served several winding up orders, are under a transfer embargo AGAIN, have needed assistance from the FL to pay our players and last season even withheld gate money from other clubs. We are not exactly a picture of a well-run club, and chances are this is having an effect on the pitch too.

The fact that he decided to attack the media rather than address this speaks volumes.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Trew is trying to kill the club, it's the only conclusion that fits the facts that i can see.

Take it that's you @Piethagoram on twitter bbcrns with chippers ? What painfully weak replies you got , I go on there near enough every day and absolutely not a story like the mirrors , and I'm sure if I had missed others would have spotted it and posted it here , well done for your efforts , it's easier to fob us off the to be proper journalist , pathetic .

@Who r ya?? You Pies!! Thank you...seemed to have been summarily dismissed by Chippers for having the audacity  not to live within Radio Red's broadcasting area. I was thinking of writing to DG of BBC to complain that part of licence fee is being paid for laissez faire journalism. I think many have tried before questioning Radio Nottingham's integrity but never got very far. Above all, when it comes to financial matters, the so called sports journalists dont want to know, as their lack of knowledge on such matters will soon be found wanting. 

Yeah agree pal , they are next to useless in my opinion , all the troubles over the river at florist get all the attention they can muster , they don't like being challenged at all , and you @Piethagoram did that in a polite manner , good on ya again I say .

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, ivansneck said:

Trew is trying to kill the club, it's the only conclusion that fits the facts that i can see.

He seems to have lost his head and perspective on real life.

You cannot help but feel he should have sold the club when he had the chance, instead he gambled like many of his managerial appoints and now faces the repercussions for those poor choices.

On 16/12/2016 at 04:51, notts-joe said:

You make a valid point regarding the Premier League teams.

However, you've lost me on the part I've quoted. I'm not sure any of our problems can be pin-pointed to any minority of fans who have given any sort of trouble to the club or to certain people. Main problems are beyond a few fans or the 'banned from Meadow Lane club'. Only time will tell if @ivansneck's rumours have merit, yet I'm not overly worried - I would be a fool if I said I wasn't concerned.

I was making more of a general observation as opposed to a direct response to your post.

My point re the fans is that lets be honest the situation would be different had the people who abused the Trews acted with more civility. I in no way agree with everything they have done but the sickening abuse they have had to withstand is wrong on any and every level.

Put another way would you keep communicating with a group of people who have directed the most abhorent and vile abuse going to your family? I would certainly think twice.

The way i see it is that they have up until now tried to respond to what the fans have wanted and then been pilloried once they have done, the perfect example of this is the sacking of Keith Curle.

The majority of fans don't abuse them , simply want answeres to genuine concerns , they could and should do that through the proper channels .

I was making more of a general observation as opposed to a direct response to your post.
My point re the fans is that lets be honest the situation would be different had the people who abused the Trews acted with more civility. I in no way agree with everything they have done but the sickening abuse they have had to withstand is wrong on any and every level.
Put another way would you keep communicating with a group of people who have directed the most abhorent and vile abuse going to your family? I would certainly think twice.
The way i see it is that they have up until now tried to respond to what the fans have wanted and then been pilloried once they have done, the perfect example of this is the sacking of Keith Curle.

It makes you wonder why exactly they attempted to win over a certain place considering all the hassle and all the abuse they got there.

But it's a minority and very small amount at that.

Yet season after season it's 'the fans' fault and not the minority. I don't condone abuse, though it's issued out like no tomorrow - even from people who are supposedly defending others.

1 hour ago, notts-joe said:

It makes you wonder why exactly they attempted to win over a certain place considering all the hassle and all the abuse they got there.

But it's a minority and very small amount at that.

Yet season after season it's 'the fans' fault and not the minority. I don't condone abuse, though it's issued out like no tomorrow - even from people who are supposedly defending others.

It does make you wonder doesn't it.

Do you not think that like everything nowadays its always everyones fault not just the few that cause issues?

And as you know we both have the same feelings regarding abuse.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

On 16/12/2016 at 13:26, DangerousSausage said:

The fact that he decided to attack the media rather than address this speaks volumes.

This is a common occurrence though isn't it? Blame the media, blame the fans, blames the tax man, blame anyone else but himself. 

Could not agree more @Super_Danny_Allsopp , only just come on-line , searching for any news today , guess nothing said anywhere positive from club or owners ?? 

It's attack anyone who has questions or has doubts. I find it very odd bans was issued to people that probably caused trouble last season and at a point someone was supposedly about to take over (zimmer frame to the finish line).

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

Scaremongers are out in force on Facebook and Twitter, but let's hope this bill has been settled.

Archived