Cost of watching football in League 2

Dripsey3

Supporter+

Mr Hardy's decision to freeze the ticket price at £20 got me thinking about how much it costs to watch football in League 2. I found the below. As you can see, Notts are near the top in most categories. So a match ticket, programme, tea and a pie will cost you £27.60, that's a lot of money for most people. It's only 60p cheaper at Mansfield for example. There isn't a whole lot of difference between the clubs so let's call it an average of £25. It seems to me that season tickets are the way to go, in that you seem to save money. Programme, tea and pie will cost you £174.80 for 23 home games. 23 games at £20 will cost you £460. Dearest season ticket is £410 but that's based on RT's prices so you'd imagine it will be less under Mr. Hardy's price schedule. Throw in a small reduction on the programme and food and it's even better value. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37953195

Please note that maths isn't my strong point, so any corrections to the above would be appreciated. 

Football in general is too expensive, but if one club slashes its prices it puts itself at a disadvantage. Action from the Football League is needed but won't be coming.

It's worth pointing out that once you exclude season ticket holders, OAPs and kids, relatively few people actually pay the standard admission fee. All it does is put people off coming. So it was high time the club tried some imaginative ticketing initiatives (without jumping through hoops - having to buy the ticket from the club shop 3.25 days beforehand).

It makes me laugh when people wonder as to why L2/L1 teams struggle to pack the crowds, it's not remotely to do with performance or the quality of the leagues - although it does have some barring on things.

The biggest issue is the fact its costly.

Away games is quite expensive, however I enjoyed the atmosphere and time with various friends/people I have become to know. Yet even at home it comes at a price, hopefully this is something which will change with time. Other sports manage to keep things to a level whereby the interest and cost draws more in, so why should football be different?

Interesting topic, but in surveys like the one quoted in the original post I think Notts get a bit of a raw deal.  I don't doubt we are at the top end price wise for anyone who chooses to pay on the day, but that's not the full story.  If you are a senior or a youngster I think we would be better than most clubs in this division.  As an example, I am still 4 years away from claiming my state pension, but a seat near the middle of the Main Stand with a brilliant view costs me a tenner a game.  My senior season ticket in the Pavis cost £230, which I consider excellent value.  Many clubs (Forest and Mansfield to name but two) set the senior age at 65, Notts do it at 60 (one of the few advantages of being old!), plus I could have purchased an U16 ST for nothing or next to nothing.  I agree that the overall price for League 2 is too high, but Alan Hardy needs to be sure we can attract enough fans through reductions to make up the shortfall.  It's a very fine balance, but we have to maintain a competitive budget.

The price of football is too much in the uk, it is only made worse by there being such a squeeze on people finances.

Whilst £25 might not seem a lot to the few who have plenty, the majority of fans are working class and it is our wages (lack of them) that makes the choice of spending what is very nearly 4 hours pay (on minimum wage) just to watch a game or spend that 4 hours pay on vital essentials like food a no brainer, add to the mix if you have kids then you definitely cannot afford it.

Football in this country just shows that the very few in power and the very few with enough money to never worry for the next 5 generations nevermind this one, couple that to the same very few being in the same gang as the people who run this country and you see why neither are willing to put in place any sort of measure that will slow the gravy train down, aka the premier league and the tax cut for the very rich.

@DangerousSausage might be able to help me out as i remember him saying he lived in Germany, I've been told that season tickets for bayen Munich and Dortmund cost around £50 in English money, that's the price of 1 game in the premier league, football in general in this country costs alot and its because all the cash is at the top and it isn't filtered down so clubs like us have to charge more to pay the bills

Times have changed since I last went to a football game but I always felt hearing £24 was very steep. Even at £20 it seems unreasonable for a club of our size and structure. I would also say that the club should get promotions out there and find other means of seeing it carried by the voice of mouth.

Archived