Playoffs the target for 2017/2018

Anti-Red

How do you feel about the clubs target of aiming for the playoffs? I could see Notts aiming higher if the right players was signed. I am unsure about the Lincoln lad but the club needs to send a stronger signal of intent than that of just hoping for playoffs for me.

Quality players and that quote atmosphere around Meadow Lane, Notts could be giving any club a run for their money.

I just want to see a good competitive season to be honest.

The target from the club is a little lacking in the ambition department but we may finish 12th, so its one of them things really. Means nothing at the end of the day, its all about results.

I'll always accept stability and progression, though if the club aims for promotion via the Play-Offs than really we need to set our standards a little higher. Mainly due to the fact teams very rarely remain 4th to 7th without experiencing blips but it would be better to see us rival any team - showing no fear and being determined to always gain the maximum points. I'm not suggesting it will happen either, though I mean to just give teams a good game like we did against Blackpool.

Rather than that of Newport and so many others.

We should be flying high and reaching for success, though I do feel it will come eventually.

I honestly think League Two is more about team chemistry than out-and-out talent. As Notts have shown last season, beating the likes of Portsmouth and Plymouth when the players are mentally and physically on point and the team is playing together, anyone can beat anyone. The Notts team was very talented with many players who could do a job in League One or even lower Championship, but when they lost motivation in the troubled period, couldn't beat an egg. So I'm all about bringing players in who may not be the most talented but know their jobs, give their all, can remain motivated and fit into the team from both a playing perspective and from a camaraderie aspect. And rather than setting targets like some shitty call centre, just take each game as it comes - Leicester City finished 10 points clear at the top of the Premier League with this approach, not really looking beyond a week or two. There's probably about 12-14 teams who could push for the top seven, so rather than all this "we need to finish in this position", just take each game/week as it comes and, providing Notts fans leave the ground more often than not satisfied and content with what they've seen, then that'll do me - even if it ends in a mid-table finish.

There's a lot that needs sorting out to be fair.

AH mentioned on twatter that the pitch hasn't been done for 7 years (!!), so that's one thing. we had only 5 contracted players, so a need to sign some more, and to establish a training ground etc...

A competitive season flirting with the playoffs wold be good for me. Would be nice to go through a season with the same manager!

Targets like this should be taken with a large pinch of salt. On the one hand you need to set a positive target to help sell season tickets and attract players. But on the other hand you don't want to put the team and management under unnecessary pressure.

If we win all our matches next season, the table will look after itself ;)

4 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

AH mentioned on twatter that the pitch hasn't been done for 7 years (!!), so that's one thing. we had only 5 contracted players, so a need to sign some more, and to establish a training ground etc...

A competitive season flirting with the playoffs wold be good for me. Would be nice to go through a season with the same manager!

I think we all know the pitch is done Every season. You might remember on our first of the 7, we had a major overhaul, and have invested in pitch works each and every season since, as per Head Groundsman's requirements. It's been documented on the OS.  Makes a good story to say otherwise, though!

4 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I thought the pitch had been dug up due to the flooding on the pitch? You know when the Trent was full.

you have to start with the goal of aiming for automatics, maybe you do say differently to the players. i guess it depends how they respond.

at the moment things are not looking that good on the signing front but it is early days, a few great signings and whatever the target is may change. i will take the season as it comes but even teams who expect to struggle will dream of promotion.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I thought the pitch had been dug up due to the flooding on the pitch? You know when the Trent was full.

It was really quite bad towards the latter part of this season. I like how AH is going about things, rather than chucking a load of money at the first team and saying 'get us promoted', he's investing on facility improvement which I think is the way to go about things.

1 minute ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

It was really quite bad towards the latter part of this season. I like how AH is going about things, rather than chucking a load of money at the first team and saying 'get us promoted', he's investing on facility improvement which I think is the way to go about things.

Yeah, I agree.

I think he needs to invest in every area (which I am sure he will) but revenue everything, the food and catering could be much better. Though things are coming on pretty well.

Archived