how optimistic are you right now?

liampie

we are two days a way from the first game of the season, how optimistic are you right now?

i am actually feeling quite nervous but i am excited at the same time. i think coventry will either be one of those games where we battle for a draw or they will show their quality throughout the game. i just hope the fans who attend leave happy and feeling like the players gave their all.

Have to say that after all the hype the chairman gave at the start of pre season, I'm feeling decidedly underwhelmed now it has finally arrived.

Will watch from a distance for August as I am away ever weekend of it so won't get to a game till September, which is disappointing, but my choice every year with family taking priority.

First few games will really set the tone of the season, tough start, but need to get a few wins early in order to build the confidence, not only in the players, but also the fans.

I'm cautiously optimistic. We've retained virtually the entire team that performed so well at the end of last season, and our players are already used to playing together. We haven't signed anyone that really grabs the attention, but Allessandro and Hawkridge sound like they will improve the team.

Negatives: I'm not convinced we've fixed the defence and we appear to have very little strength in depth. Maybe I'm being cruel, but some of our late pre-season signings smack of "Oh crap, our transfer targets have gone elsewhere so we'd better just fill up the squad". That said, I'd love one or two of them to prove a surprise hit.

I'm very optimistic, but I need to keep in mind that we haven't kicked a ball competitively yet. I could come back from Coventry feeling very disappointed, or I could be feeling the same as I am now.

I think we are in a much better position than we was last season under John Sheridan.

With Kevin Nolan being more a hands on manager, who looks to get the best out of his players - so lets avoid stumbling to Coventry and get a result whereby we can build a firm base from. COYP!

Have some people forgot how we finished last year? Yes our defence was sh!te but we've corrected that with the additions of Brisley & Jones, we had nobody of a class above in midfield, we've corrected that with the addition of Walker, we had as much width as an anorexic ant, we've corrected that with two quality wide players who both have pace and can actually cross a ball in Hawkridge & Alessandra and we've resigned Jorge Grant.

For once our optimism at how we finished a season has been backed up by solid summer recruitment and some fans are moaning like someone stole their ball and won't give it back.

Lets enjoy the season with an optimistic and positive outlook and you never know what might happen

• 3 months later...

The good thing right now is the fact when Notts do play badly, we do manage to pick up points. I am optimistic about the team Nolan has assembled and their ability to respond when it matters.

There's still a long way to go but the season has been positive so far.

Archived