do we need to strengthen in january?

liampie

i know its early but i thought i would get the question out there any way. do we need to strengthen in january?

if we do, surely some of the players within the squad need to be released to make room? i do think we need a striker but maybe we can get a way with just that. i cant see notts signing many players, we already have a few loans and liam noble will be available to play in january anyway.

I think we lack pace, so I would like to see some athleticism injected into the squad.

Some of the existing players are only development recruits, so I think we could get a way with the odd signing. A striker and winger would be on my list to secure, we need someone out wide that can just run with the ball and a striker who can do the work our 70+ strikers can't. 

We really could do with having another striker with pace, plus a CB.

A winger seems to be a bit of luxury for me, we won't sign may players and I really don't expect it. However, a couple of reinforcements would be nice because again - I don't think we should allow this good start to go to waste. 

YES !

we do need better defensive cover and a striker. i think after carlisle it shows how we are running low on ideas and i am concerned that the good start we be wasted. the gap wont stay like this for much longer but we are not making the best of this opportunity at all.

6 hours ago, Who r ya?? You Pies!! said:

Maybe the checkatrade trophy showed us a little about the quality of the depth to the squad and that we could do as said above with a couple or so additions , not got great depth that you could call on for the league in my opinion .

The line-up was baffling, the problem with it we seemed to be saving legs and I do relate to fans who believe the club didn't take it seriously.

I don't think it's so much about the depth itself.

We do have a good bench even when the consistently selected starting 11 is chosen - I don't think you can throw in an experienced keeper into a game like that. Obviously again, I'm no expert but the squad was weird for a club stating the 20k winning fee is enough to side over the majority of fans opinions.

Agree to a degree I guess @Chris , if we keep relatively injury free and suspensions don't hinder us down the line then the squad is not bad for the starting 11 + subs , plus the starting team in the league wouldn't be anywhere near last night's team selection wise , would be good to have a CB Striker and creative midfielder in January tho , COYP 

46 minutes ago, Who r ya?? You Pies!! said:

Agree to a degree I guess @Chris , if we keep relatively injury free and suspensions don't hinder us down the line then the squad is not bad for the starting 11 + subs , plus the starting team in the league wouldn't be anywhere near last night's team selection wise , would be good to have a CB Striker and creative midfielder in January tho , COYP 

Midfield we are quite blessed, there's players who simply won't get a chance to play or feature much.

Really this is our strongest department (not that you would tell when we hoof the ball) - yet we have capable players who can be creative and assist the defence. Michael O'Connor will be a massive player once he returns but even he may struggle.

Defensively we are capable, yet we lack cover for Brisley and Duffy.

Up top, we simply don't have anyone of the Forte mould and we don't have that tall presence that we get from Ameobi who simply can't play every game. Stead is capable but he's really struggling IMO.

With Noble's arrival, I'm sorry to say we simply don't need any more midfielders. We all know the saying about too many cooks!

I would say a centre back (although I would like to see Bird given an opportunity) and a fast central striker are a must. I would also prefer a central midfield play-maker as we don't really possess a player that goes "give me the ball" and dictates play to make things happen. However, there isn't a limitless pit of money and some players may have to leave to make room within the budget. Curtis, Hollis, Stead ( being a touch controversial) maybe even Walker too.

As mentioned above, it is pretty certain that we need another centre half and a goal poacher of decent quality. I would also like to see a winger, but would trade that for a decent left back with pace who could cover Jones.

Try to Offload Hollis, Thompson and Dicko.

19 hours ago, Chris said:

The "give me the ball" is Jorge Grant and Liam Noble.

We really haven't been using Grant that wisely which has impacted his form (he struggles being heavily marked too).

Grant is out wide so cannot play that role, it has to be one of the two central midfielders. There is a real chance that Grant gets recalled in January and Noble fills Grant's present role. Stanley anyone :D

Archived