nolan and the needless changes

liampie

does anyone else think the constant changes made by nolan has impacted the recent run? i think its a big part of the issue.

we seemed fine when the changes was being made for the reason of injuries or to give players a rest but recently we are making them needlessly imo.

There's been mistakes made not just by Kevin Nolan (although his tactics and lineups are sometimes questionable - it can work) but also the players. I think we have just had a wake up call and as such we have failed to climb or respond from that slump, lets be quite clear we are - there's teams this month which fans would have thought we'd get close to the maximum amount but we simply haven't.

On paper this month hasn't been exactly 'difficult'.

I think its a mix of focus, performance, desire, confidence and belief.

Whilst the tactics and line-up hasn't helped, really the players should be jumping to get back to winning ways. Crewe was one of them games people will want us to forget, yet we saw the same thing against Carlisle in the first half. 

I understand that a Manager would want to give folk a rest; and I can understand that a Manager may also want to make his available team members, competitive for team places. What I can't understand, in games like Mansfield on Tuesday, is - when it's all going very, very wrong (like, from the 48th minute) - why a Manager wouldn't look to utilise subs until way too late (for me) in the game to benefit with a win?

Some of the play on Tuesday, quite frankly, made Notts look like a Sunday League side who a) hadn't practised ANY set pieces; b) hadn't worked together since the Sunday before (or ever); c) rarely won a hoof ball; d) couldn't head for toffee; e) were beaten on the run, almost every time and f) didn't really want the £20k 'prize'!

With no less than ten changes for that game, it'll be very interesting to see who's chosen for Saturday's home match. 1 - 24 Raffle Ticket, anyone?

he also changes people at the wrong time, look at the barnet game.

we was in control and the players that came off took a way that balance. collin had to go off due to his knee but why weaken the attack when your in control? i think we might be forgetting hes still inexperienced tbh.

We have seen that Kevin Nolan can resolve problems he hasn't created, he did this last season and we have seen what he can do when things are going in our favour. Problem right now is that he needs to accept the current situation, Notts have not been good on the pitch and the results are proof of this.

Injuries, suspensions, loss of form and fatigue will impact on any team.

Other teams will also suss out an opponent's style of play and can plan accordingly.

This has frequently been an undoing for Notts, so it's important that Nolan figures out a plan B and C and even D if necessary, especially if Notts are a goal / man down.

This time last year Notts were sixth after winning at Portsmouth. Three years ago Notts were third in League One having won a fifth game of the spin.

From now until January is a critical time for Notts, so let's hope they can keep it together, Nolan doesn't let his temper/stubbornness get the better of him, and deliver.

I think Kevin Nolan tries to play a guessing game with opposing managers and to be fair on a number of occasions it has worked like a dream. I've questioned the need to make five changes during a winning run but, as we've done well, he's kept on doing it. The trouble is, after a while it can be demotivating for players if they feel they can be dropped from the first 11 however well they play.

Archived