Colin slater

Magic magpie

So carrying  on with legends theme today I thought about two more people who makes County or who gave there careers to Notts and the first name was Colin slater mbe. Born in Bradford in 1934 he was the voice of  Notts since 1968. He joined Notts in 1959 behind the scenes writing match reports. Then 2001 he was given the mbe honour for not only services to radio but to football as a whole, then in 2015 Nottingham honoured him by name of a team after him. In his time he covered  over 2000 Notts games a milestone that on 17th November 2007 against Mansfield of all teams. Breaking this milestone  he had became the voice of Notts and known affectionately as uncle colin. But all good things must come to a end it was on the 24th April 2017 that Colin announced he was to step down from his commentary duties at the end of the season but would remain County’s corespondent. Colin would then be name a honoury life member of Notts County on the 15th November 2017. Uncle Colin still remains a Notts fan and is always welcomed back at Meadow Lane like the prodigal son. Below is an interview with Colin Slater if you would like to have a read.

Do/what are you have memories of Uncle Colin during his time with Notts.?

_95762955_slater_bbc.jpg

absolute legend, i really miss hearing him and i know charlie does a great job but its like somethings missing. i wished he would have been able to commentate one last good season.

he deserves to be recognised more across the football world for what he achieved and how long he did his job.

Supporter+

As I said in another thread there will never be another Colin Slater he’s been associated with Notts probably longer than anyone, he deserves his retirement which I hope is a long and happy one.

We once saw him shopping in Morrisons, we didn’t know it was him until we heard his voice my wife said thank you when he moved out of our way he replied “you’re very welcome” in that unmistakable voice we’ve heard so much of over the years. I did a double take and realised it was uncle Colin but I was too shy to say hello.

Sorry I digressed a bit there, yes he is a true legend.

He's a club legend no matter what you think.

I hate that he's received some unkind comments, especially for all he's done. People don't realise how much involved he's been with various things and he makes the Notts community richer. I'm delighted to have interviewed him and, for him to have written a few things for PON. It's a sad that he stopped, especially without messaging me but I know why. I'll always have the respect he deserves, he's such a treasure and he could voice the history of Notts County.

I'd love to see him release a book, I think he has a lot of things he can pass down.

A true gentleman is Colin Slater, there's not many as polite as him around these days.

I still see Colin from time to time at Meadow Lane, so he still goes. I think at his age it's important to enjoy a restful time and those long journeys. I bet the BBC haven't quite seen the last of him yet.

When Colin Slater retired it was an end of the era for Notts County.

Many fans grew up listening to him and its only natural that he would get muddled up with age, yet I feel he called games well and was fair to what was happening. He never sugarcoated what the game was like, he was never biased to towards the opposition. He will always be known as the voice as Notts.

Archived