Ratings Notts v Tranmere

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,807
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Fitzsimons 7 Match turning save at 2-2, helped towards getting 3 points rather than none. Heart in mouth at some of his outfield footballing skills..impressive kicking against the wind first half

Hewitt 3 Not a full back, positionally unaware for Tranmere's second, jumps with no conviction

Turley 6 No nonsense centre half

Ward 5 Concerned by his lack of concentration at times

Jones 3 always offers a good ball in when attacking but gets taken to the cleaners defensively too many times

Davies 6.5 Well, have we had the O'Connor like midfielder all along? Neat in possession and in the tackle too

Milsom 5 Reads the game well, one good challenge of note but never feeling to be able to step up and control the midfield

Vaughan 4.5 Too weak in the tackle really should be exerting his perceived class. Maybe conditions yesterday not to his liking

Thomas 6.5 A whisker away from scoring in the first half, knew what he was doing to draw the penalty challenge

Hemmings 6.5 Impressive work rate alongside Stead, neat pass to allow Jones to cross and for Thomas's run for the 3rd

Stead 7.5 Cool head Jon..tucked Penalty away well, dispossessed Tranmere player to set up Hemmings. Worthy MoTM

Subs

Evina 3 Two kick it anywhere stray passes..should have done better

Dennis 5 Tested keeper from tight angle

Ardley 7

Impressed at organisational skills when the team is without the ball. We actually looked like a team today...not a team of misfits

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

I agree with everything here apart from Vaughan @Piethagoram. I also think that just because we won should not hide the fact we conceded another 2 at home. On any other day this was a Tranmere win I think. But is this the attitude Ardley is trying to get into the players a winning mentality? I definitely saw more fight yesterday.

I wasn't impressed with Fitz, apart from the save which credit where it's due was fantastic. But ... he didn't even make a half heart attempt for the 2 goals. One flew over his head but didn't even look to go for it. The first one was poor positioning. If positioned just a tad better he could have stopped it. Just felt he could have done more yesterday. 

Hewitt did OK but that's it. Your comments about his lack of conviction are correct but thought he had a better game than recent weeks. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

Fitzsimons:

Hewitt:

Turley:

Ward:

Jones:

Davies:

Milsom:

Vaughan:

Thomas:

Hemmings:

Stead:

Subs

Evina:

Dennis:

@samwatto2008you didnt articulate your opinion on Vaughan...higher or lower??? What I would add on Fitz, first goal came through a crowd of players..perhaps unsighted. I take your point on the second but really the flicked header could also have gone into the other side of the goal. The defending of their 2nd was truly awful

• Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

@samwatto2008you didnt articulate your opinion on Vaughan...higher or lower??? What I would add on Fitz, first goal came through a crowd of players..perhaps unsighted. I take your point on the second but really the flicked header could also have gone into the other side of the goal. The defending of their 2nd was truly awful

I thought Vaughan was higher, I think Ardley has told him to play with freedom. He has really improved over the past couple of game and hes finally been given the freedom he can thrive in. He will prove key in our survival and hopefully push us on. I would have given him at least a 5.5/6 just because he came off early. Glad to see him in the lineup for 2 weeks running now and hopefully can remain next week at Grimsby. 

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Fitzsimons 7 - Once again another steady performance. Made a brilliant save at 2-2 after Jones and Ward couldn't make their mind up whether to clear it or leave it. 

Hewitt 6 - Solid job at right-back despite not being his best position. Improved on his performances when playing at RB earlier in the season

Ward 6 - Comfortable with the ball at his feet and his passing for a central defender is brilliant. Could have done better for the second goal but I don't know whether that was Turley or Ward's man. 

Turley 6 - An improved display on last week. Him and Ward kept James Norwood at bay and made him look very average 

Jones 3 - Got the assist for the first goal and is ok going forward but the bloke just cannot defend. Both goals came from his side when he should either push them towards the by-line or smash them one

Davies 8 - Superb game from the Swansea loanee. Took to the midfield position like a duck to water even if it isn't his normal position. Tackled well and won the ball back on numerous occasions. Made life very hard for McCullough and Cole

Milsom 5 - Started well and then turned into a clown at the start of the second half only to improve a little late on. Still not brilliant though

Vaughan 5 - Did well at the start of the game and put a shift in but as the game went on his impact on the match reduced

Thomas 7 - I was so annoyed at him after Mansfield but Ardley looks like he's woken him up. Good going forward, tracked back (at last) and won the penalty. Passion at the end

Hemmings 7 - Linked up well with Jones for the first goal. Got into a good position for the second. He works hard, can score goals and links the play up well

Stead 9 - Do I really have to say anything about this man. Give him a knighthood, statue and the keys to the city. Leads by example, loves the club, scored the winner and won the battle against Ritchie Sutton and Mark Ellis

Subs

Evina 5 - Did what he had to do when he came on. Win the ball back, protect Dan Jones and make sure Tranmere didn't get up the pitch much in the last ten minutes

Dennis 6 - Almost scored with his first touch. Gave absolutely everything. He closed the Tranmere defenders and keeper down, putting them under pressure constantly. Fans love him

Ardley 9 - Well set up. We look like we have an actual game plan now. Jones' defensive frailties are an issue but I know we will improve defensively over time and he'll get a replacement in, in January. Brilliant tactical substitution bringing Evina on for Vaughan to cover the left hand side so Tranmere couldn't get down the wing. That hug with Stead at the end and the passion shown during and after the game was great. We may have finally found the manager

• Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

Fitzsimons 4. He knew absolutely nothing about the save at 2-2. Poor position fir the their 1st made no attempt at their 2nd. Found a Notts player only once with a throw out. Never collected one cross. His days must be numbered.

Hewitt 5.5 Never a full back. He didn’t ask to play there!

Turley 7.5 Commanded the defence in the first half hour taking the pressure off.

Ward 6 Reasonable performance. Taking notice of direction from the manager.

Jones 3 he gets a point for the assist, otherwise very poor.

Davies 7  Worked hard to good effect.

Milsom 5 tries hard but not much coming off just now.

Vaughan 4.5 Gets the .5 for trying to motivate.

Thomas 6.5 Tries hard gets a point for winning the pen.

Hemmings 7 Good work rate as always.

Stead 8 never stopped trying & 2 goals

Subs

Evina 3 could have done better

Dennis 5 Tried his best as always. Almost scored.

Ardley 9 Showed he could change things to great effect.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Fitzsimons: 7 - Good performance, I don't think he could have done more about the goals.

Hewitt:: 4 - Okay going forward, a little clueless at the back but I think he would have been the strongest player there.

Turley: 7 - nonsense and dealt with most things well. He does all the stuff people take for granted.

Ward: 6 - He did well, tied himself a fair bit but his footwork and defending was okay.

Jones: 3 - Bad going forward but better than he was in defence, very poor game for him.

Davies: 6.5 - Looked very good, did well.

Milsom: 5 - I wasn't impressed but he worked hard, he killed good moves and was quite wasteful IMO.

Vaughan: 6 - Good performance, he pulled some strings and created good movement.

Thomas: 6 - Acceptable performance by him, he worked hard and performed well.

Hemmings: 6 - Worked hard and did a lot of stuff which helped that I can imagine was missed because it's not so much about pretty football.

Stead: 8 - Solid performance, good on goal and did everything we would expect or ask.

Subs

Evina: 5 - Wasteful going forward but he did alright. he improved the back four which was a bonus.

Dennis: 6 - Looked good from his movement, he nearly scored with his first touch and looks eager to keep playing.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,304
  • Days Won:  69

I listened to the Radio Nottingham commentary and I must say the comments and assessments by PoN members above are much closer  to my own conclusions than  the Nottingham Post ratings.I must also give a special mention to Neal Ardley.Yes ,I know nterviews are easier to do after a (rare) win but I thought he came over really well .It's great to listen to post match interviews without excuses ,waffle and umming and ahing-take a bow Neal Ardley (and Frank Lampard)

Archived