Notts County Vs Brentford

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Well here we go, another home tie and one of very few during this festive period. Not much for our fans to be 'merry about', however if you like the fact we've made some additional signings (loan) this is about as good as it gets right now. I have to say, I'm going to miss going to away games - they really are something!

Brentford, very overrated in my opinion. They're a good side but without the investment, they'd be a regular side and I still recall what some of their fans said about us not many moons ago! Now look at them!

Uwe Rosler's been making waves in the media, it seems a weekly basis he tells some sort of story regarding his past!

Notts have a little bit of momentum and the potential of having us firmly behind them. If the squad continue to keep trying, giving 100% and play fairly well then I can certainly see the KOP getting right behind the game. It will be interesting which youngsters will feature, I suspect the Callum Ball will - however it's a shame young Murray's been forgotten so quickly.

Ah! What the heck... In Shaun Derry we trust!

COYP! 2-1 Notts for me..... Thoughts?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well here we go, another home tie and one of very few during this festive period.

Festive period??? Not yet Joe please, it's not even December!!!

Anyway now I've got that off my chest on to the match, I am hoping it will be a good match and as you say Notts will take some heart from the point they got last week, hopefully we can build on that and get a win but I think it will be a hard match. I am hoping for a Notts win I will say 1-0 and a very nervy last 10 minutes, when the final whistle blows it will be like we have won the cup.

I will be interested to see how Rossler and Derry get on in the dug out, there could be a few fireworks and from my vantage point I will get a grandstand view. It's good to have a manager and his assistant who appear to be passionate and contest every decision.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

Brentford are likely to leave with the points I am afraid, even with a strong squad and a better position for us. We are simply down and out at the moment, It is important that we try but I will go to Meadow Lane with the expectation of leaving without any points. I am not trying to be negative, as if we leave 1pt or even 3pt I will be delighted but sadly its how I see things going.

They are a classy side, including much added depth that we do not.

I hope the new boys feature, it will be nice to see them play.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

3 weeks ago I would have predicted a slaughtering, but after our recent performances and the gradual improvement, I am not so sure.

My heart says we can do it, the head is a little fuzzy. The splinters are going to hurt here, but I think we are good for a draw or a narrow victory.

COYP

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

This is a tough call - depends how we cope with a few new faces and trying to build on the confidence and momentum from Tues night.

I'd say another point would be a decent return against one of the best organiseda and fluid teams in this division - that, coupled with an industrious and enterprising display will be fine. Anything more would be a bonus IMO.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Todays the day! Notts to win! :thumbsup:

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

We must win sooner or later so why not today? I hope the new loans settle in quickly and give us a much needed boost.I hope Callum Ball scores for us.That would please Super_Ram.A Notts win but no score prediction.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

Three loanees and not one in the starting line up. Playing one up front and not even a prolific goal scorer! Ok so first half we gave it everything until Boucard made one of his usual clangers. No coming back from that because we seem to be incapable of creating a chance and putting it away. Second half got worse and worse. Were we beaten by a better team? Not really we were beaten by our inability to cut out the individual errors, inability to score when we've created a chance and as usual beaten by a player who only needs one chance to score cos he knows how to! Oh and let's not forget the referee's influence on the game. Do we ever get a hand ball decision in our favour?! Is there any chance of anybody else taking a free kick other than Sheehan (well actually Fox was allowed to once) but we need to vary it more. There'll be no great escape as Colin Slater said without spending money on a decent striker in January. Couldn't agree more Colin. Am I frustrated and fuming after watching another loss at home....you bet I am!

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Yet another odd goal defeat, and somehow we remain just two wins away from safety. It's a miracle. But that won't be the case for much longer unless we start picking up points.

We seem to have a very frustrating habbit of creating good chances but not taking them. We're crying out for a poacher. I don't mean Lee Hughes, but his type if you know what I mean? Somehow with that instinct of being in the right place at the right time to take the chances.

Next game against Gillingham is quite simply a must win game now. We have Gillingham, then Colchester away, then Bristol City at home. Those are games we need to be picking up plenty of points from. We're already at the point of needing roughly 2 points a game to make 50 points. Lose next weekend, and it'll be a long way back...

Key points....

*We played very well
*The defence did well
*Bart had only a hand full of things to do
*The youngsters shown a glimpse of what they could do

Now, the game was firmly in our control the first half. We just needed to gamble but poor Haynes couldn't solely do this and I felt around the 35th minute we actually needed a second striker or someone to work more closely with Haynes. Chance after chance, denied by either good defending or a brilliant keeper which is the luck we have these days. We play well when opposition keepers do! Haynes ran and tried, he didn't have the best game but considering we're not suited to a lone striker, very little I feel can fall onto his shoulders.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce shown why I liked him, you can't fault him for anything because he put in a great shift and the times he lost the ball, he wasn't supported all that well. Never did he lose it because he was greedy or trying to take too many on!

The goal they scored - it had me annoyed. We invited it and it should have been dealt with, I even feel Bart could have done better but at the range the shot was taken it was always going to be likely a goal would be scored. I felt we should have had a foul prior to that but hey ho! The thing for me is the ref was odd, he had an okay first half. Minus the two cards he should have given to two Brentford fans - One a blatant barge/push when Grealish was clean through and running and another where they took out McGregor I believe.

It got odd when the ref decided to give them a throwing due to one foul throw from ourselves. Yet Brentford repeatedly tried to offend free-kicks, they insisted on not moving to the adequate yards (every time to the point cards should have been given). Brentford was always allowed to take quick free kicks from any location, the time we tried to do it - the Ref decided he was going to slowly book one of their players. If we placed the ball not far from the foul, he'd insist we'd move it (even if it was barely worthwhile - at no point was it far from where it happened, apart from when Brentford took one) Don't get me started on their throwings, they walked miles down the line and thrown the ball over the line (two feet).

This said, Notts played bravely and despite all these things they kept trying. This is a day any fan would be proud of how we played, if not I'd like to know why?

Horrible game for me, I sat near this idiot who wanted to argue with everyone. Only reason I couldn't move is because my son wanted to be sat near a friend but I really wanted a way. I have no time for fans who clearly want to fight or argue with their own! Waste of space.

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

im glad i was wrong, i did not see much quality from them. if they manage to get into the playoff spot or remain there, they will be lucky to be promoted. we played far better than them, just lacked finishing.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

im glad i was wrong, i did not see much quality from them. if they manage to get into the playoff spot or remain there, they will be lucky to be promoted. we played far better than them, just lacked finishing.

It was a lively game, full of chances but sadly one of those games we needed to score to go further.

Well worth the trip to Meadow Lane, seeing some good friends who have become disillusioned by our season. The signs are promising, the lads have to keep working at it. Well Done Notts! 

Supporter+

In spite of having a bad morning feeling I'll I dragged myself down the Lane and despite the fact that we lost I am glad I did.

It was another committed performance from the players who seem to be buying into the Derry message that hard work will bring rewards.

The first half in particular I thought we were well on top and but for an individual mistake and lack of skill and a bit of luck in front of goal could have won.

Next week is massive It's a match we can win and 3 points could do wonders for the players confidence.

Ok, having listened to the game at valley parade yesterday, where the common tator was full of praise for the effort at Brentford on Tuesday night

WOAH...........

Time warp... Sorry Colin but that just wasn't funny.

Back to the action, it sounded like we bossed the first 35-40 minutes, it is crying out for us to have somebody like Inzaghi, ok Notts are never going to get a striker of his calibre, but through out his time at Meeeeelan, he was always there at the end to put the ball in the net. Quite a lot of his goals, scrambled or untidy efforts. Oh to have somebody who was just THERE, wherever there proved to be.

It sounded like we put in some decent crosses but the were over the man, well if you had two men, there is double the chance of one of them being THERE. Another partnership I liked that probably weren't given the credit was Sharp and Heath at Everton, we need a solid front two!!! how many times do we have to tell em.

An individual error led to the goal for the Nylons (sounds better than the Bees). These will happen in the game, but like others I feel we should have dealt better with it.

Second half seemed to be tetchier, and from my listening position, we tried and tried, but lost a little of the quality in our possession that we had shown earlier in the game. Or at least this is the way Colin led me to believe.

So a narrow defeat, a great effort again by the lads out on the pitch, something is going to give, one of the sides in this division is going to be on the wrong side of a hiding, IF we can find our TWO frontmen and stick with them.

Well Played lads, well played SD and Bud. Pleased with how things are going, just not getting the results, YET !!!

January 1st - Get Haynes out ASAP.

Waste of a wage. Not a football player. 

Whereas I think he's been disappointing, in his defence the service he gets as been. I think he'd score if we stopped making him run for it, he does try. A lot of people I know have been comparing Arquin and Haynes but they're different players.

Haynes needs more direct play, Arquin can run and create something from nothing.

Neither are good as lone strikers, we aren't a side who can do this.

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

i enjoyed the game, it was nice to see other notts fans and i thought we did well. shame we could not have scored before them but we played well against a side higher up the table than we are.

i'm looking to forward to returning

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

I'd sooner see Arquin go to be honest, at least Danny puts in a shift. It could well be a case of needing one goal to go in and he'll go on a roll.

Thing is as Joe says neither Haynes or Arquin are going to do anything playing up front by themselves. Annoyingly we are good as playing strikers in a role that dosen't suit them only to see them go and and have success at a different club being played in the role that suits them. Francois Zoko case in point.

Oh what the heck, let em both go. I want players here, that want to be here. That want to play for this club, and that want to give 100%.

Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio :waving:  :waving:  :waving:

Supporter+

You can bet your life if and when they do go they will start banging goals in on a regular basis for someone else.

That is almost a given. But not every move works out for every footballer or manager etc. And for whatever reason Notts seems to be the move that doesn't work out for most of them.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

I listened on the radio and it sounded like Keiron Freeman played well but what about Callum Ball anyone?

I listened on the radio and it sounded like Keiron Freeman played well but what about Callum Ball anyone?

Didn't do enough to judge, he had limited chances/time on the ball. It did appear for me he tries, he held the ball up very well a couple of times but he should have featured early, if so perhaps I could say more.

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

we wont get rid of either, both players are decent enough in this division. im pretty sure sd will think if he can sort the midfield and improve the leaky defence we will have every chance of having two strikers scoring.

Supporter+

Didn't do enough to judge, he had limited chances/time on the ball. It did appear for me he tries, he held the ball up very well a couple of times but he should have featured early, if so perhaps I could say more.

Yes I agree, he wasn't on for long enough really but I am sure we will see more of him in future games.

Archived