Match Discussion: Game 40 - The Gulls (A)

PON_News

Game 40 - The Gulls (A)

Team: Torquay United

Date: 24/04/2021

Where: Plainmoor

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Supporter+

Torquay are on a roll. 5 wins in a row. 4 clean sheets. They are just point off the top of the table and have 3 games in hand on Hartlepool. They beat Sutton who are in 2nd 1-0 away recently. They came to ML in January and left with a point. Notts are not in good form . We are struggling all over the pitch. I think Torquay will be on a number of betting accumulators this weekend. Notts have the team to end Torquay's good run. The manager seems to have a gameplan in mind but the players aren't getting it as of yet as far as I can see. If IB plays the same formation again, I think Torquay will win. Hopefully Notts have been practicing their defending of set pieces! I hate to say it but 3-1 to Torquay for me. 

I assume Luke Steele will be straight in as the GK and then formation wise do we finally go back to 4 at the back and players in their strongest/natural positions? With Cal out now we really do need Enzio in an attacking role.

I hope the free week has been a mini-reset, all the videos that the club put out this week were very positive and encouraging (well they were for me anyway) and it reminds you we do still have good players here… You just don’t know if they’ll turn up at the minute.

It’s a massive game and it’ll prove a point either way. I’m hoping for the positive, that we still have a bit of fight in us.

I truly hope we stop the experiment with wing backs. We simply don't have the players to do it. I think a return to 4 at the back is likely, and Doyle will probably start too (hopefully in place of Reeves instead of alongside him).

So we've lost 3 on the trot, while Torquay are on a great run. All the more reason to play without pressure and turn the form book upside down.

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

If there were a pill that makes you lose all interest in football, would you take it? 

Yep. But then we'd probably go on amazing winning run and get promoted.

That game really was typical Notts. Before the game I’d have taken a draw considering our and their form. But they were down to 10 men and we still managed to chuck three points away. No idea where the 8 minutes of injury time came from, but it sounded like we stopped playing after about 70 mins… Still, we had a huge chance to make it 3-1 and didn't take it.

Supporter+
On 24/04/2021 at 19:08, DangerousSausage said:

If there were a pill that makes you lose all interest in football, would you take it? 

No but I'd think about it for a few seconds! The players are making the same mistakes over and over again. IB has worked hard on cutting out those mistakes but it's up to the players and they are not doing what they should be doing. 

god knows how the referee felt the extra time was fair, but i knew once it went past 5 minutes that they would pull level only to see the whistle blown for full time. dont quote this, as we should have buried the game well before this.

the first 75 minutes we could and should have nailed them.

i see no improvements though under the new manager when it comes to defending leads, it would not be as disappointing if it was not for the fact we needed the points. the win would have been a good thing for us, but the defending needs to be better.

When it was pointed out that their form was so much better than ours, I thought we had a chance. Football has a habit of turning the form book upside down like that. Sickening to lose out in the last minute like that, but encouraging to hear of the improved performance.

How did Steele get on?