Striker - Kairo Mitchell confirmed

gtownjohnno

Kairo Mitchell is the rumour from Leigh Curtis.

I'd be seriously underwhelmed if that's the case. We are crying out for a steady alternative and/or challenge to Wootton, not an understudy that has a handful of appearances for Kings Lynn and after 3 months at Chesterfield is unwanted and they're looking to offload him. Still haven't replaced Dennis or Thomas and while I know we don't necessarily play the formations anymore that would suite them, we have to be able to have more than one recognised striker in the squad. Knight is injured and Sam is never going to lead the line. 

I don't think 7 goals in 1100 minutes for King's Lynn is too shabby really, but I don't really have much else to go on.

But are we sure about this? It doesn't really seem to fit IB's talk about an "attacking option" rather than an out-and-out striker. Going by that, I'd expect someone who can also play as an attacking midfielder, unless Mitchell is coming as well. Whoever does come in, we do need a genuine alternative to Wootton.

Yeah from what IB said post-match it doesn't sound like he's an out and out striker… But I guess he could just be trying to not give anything away.

Then he’s goes on to say “We’ve worked really hard for a while and been really patient…”

I reckon this is someone from the “A-List” we’ve thought he’ll be worth waiting for. I’m sure with Football Radar we’ve looked over a lot of players and Mitchell is probably someone we have looked at. But from what’s been said I’d be very surprised if it was him.

The fact the number 7 shirt wasn’t taken when we announced the shirt numbers suggests we’ve been holding out for this guy – whoever he is! Just hope we can actually get it done!

11 hours ago, menzinho said:

Yeah from what IB said post-match it doesn't sound like he's an out and out striker… But I guess he could just be trying to not give anything away.

Then he’s goes on to say “We’ve worked really hard for a while and been really patient…”

I reckon this is someone from the “A-List” we’ve thought he’ll be worth waiting for. I’m sure with Football Radar we’ve looked over a lot of players and Mitchell is probably someone we have looked at. But from what’s been said I’d be very surprised if it was him.

The fact the number 7 shirt wasn’t taken when we announced the shirt numbers suggests we’ve been holding out for this guy – whoever he is! Just hope we can actually get it done!

I hope so. I can't see Andre Wright being told he can leave to then sign another unknown quantity on a permanent. 

His time at Chesterfield is a bit strange: but then again, their boss in a nut job.  Signs at start of April and played a handful of games in April/May, which was a bad patch for Chesterfield. He is dropped to the bench when they sign Rowe, then I think Tyson takes his spot on the bench. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/kairo-mitchell/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/428214/wettbewerb/CNAT

Clearly they must see something in him to be called a 'number one target' - although that could be to just hype him up. 

Scores here:

I've had a look through a handful of highlights when he played for KL. He looks similar to Kyle in the sense he's a big man that likes the ball played in to feet, he can pin in his CB and play others in, but also, dissimilar to Kyle, he doesn't mind turning the defenders and running beyond them; he seems to have a good turn of pace. He uses this pace and his physicality as a bit of a nuisance (4:18 on the below video):

Actually scored against us when they drew 2-2 with us, but you can't tell as it was in a crowded box. In one of those highlight reels, the KL owner, who doubles as their commentator, describes him as 'not the most natural finisher'. 

This seems to me to be another player that requires a bit of work, such as Lewis Knight. While I have no problem with that, I just think we could've done with an older, more proven operator up top. Time will tell, I suppose. At least he fits the system!

Hope he comes in and settles well, but I fear this could be one project too far?

Don’t think money is the issue and, being blunt, would have preferred a top striker for our league to be coming in. All the talk of a bench man for Wootton isn’t great imo. What we need(ed) was a top striker who would not only complement Woots, but challenge for the shirt if one up front, or play alongside if two up top.

A statement signing would have made a big noise in the league, but I assume IB is looking to keep the drama on Wrexham and Stockport signing wise.

At the end of the day, the team in charge of recruitment know what they need and I’ll trust that. Just as a fan, a marquee signing would have created some serious buzz!

Supporter+

He's an OK signing, that has the potential to be a great signing. Maybe a change of scenery will work wonders for the lad. He'll get plenty of service that's for sure. I'd be surprised if we didn't sign another striker. 

Well, I got that completely wrong! 😬

And wow, he’s been our number 1 target throughout the summer.

I don’t know much about him, obviously did well at Kings Lynn though prior to signing for Chesterfield.

Not sure he’ll be as raw as Knowles and he’s 6ft2, a bit older and looks a lot stronger. I can’t pass any judgement though cos I've not seen him play. But that’s a tidy finish against Hartlepool.

Weirdly not our first Grenadian either. Pretty sure Delroy Facey has that honour and Mitchell has already got a better international record than him!

If you break his scoring down it's a bit more reassuring. In the 20 games he played for KLT, he played the whole 90 minutes, in 8 of those games. In those 8 games, he scores in 5 of them, scoring 7 goals in total.

Wealdstone (H) ⚽⚽
Dover (H)
Notts (A) ⚽
Woking (A)
Wealdstone (A) ⚽
Hartlepool (H) ⚽
Torquay (A)
Altrincham (H) ⚽⚽

Also, had only three, full 90 minute appearances for morals fc. 

I don't think a permanent goalscorer coming in, would have been happy to sit on the bench behind Wootton for the majority of the season. At the end of the day, why would you drop Kyle, Rodri or Roberts? 

He looked like he was developing into a decent player and showing signs of potential, towards the end of his spell with King's Lynn. I don't expect him to be the finished article, especially when he's only 23 and this means we can develop him as a player even more, and that is something IB is excellent at doing. He helped Chicksen, Reeves, Rodrigues and Miller last season. He even got the best out of Jim O'Brien and he's 33.

Seems like a player in-between Wootton and Knight. Not a natural target man but can still hold it up well, but has a fair amount of pace on him.

He seems more of a shadow striker to me, I don't think we can feel underwhelmed by this - it seemed unlikely that Notts would be able to pull in a striker that has already proved themselves to be prolific.

Kairo Mitchell seems confident about his ability,  whilst Chesterfield not allowing him to settle in doesn't concern me either.

If Notts attack with the momentum we did at times against Derby, whoever plays up-top will find chances - Kyle Wootton will be our preferred striker. I wasn't expecting someone to replace him, so hopefully, Mitchell brings something different but does have similar qualities because that isn't a bad thing either. He seems to have a fair bit of pace, something Wootton doesn't really have.

Archived