The best by a country mile for years

RetroPie

I have a hatred of listening to managers, I think my favourite in the past 20 years is Martin Allen.

He cracked me up, but I also felt he explained things well and kept it interesting. Kevin Nolan at times could provide good thoughts, plus a cheeky tone to his responses, but for the most part, I found them to be dull. Harry Kewell and, Neal Ardley tended to put me to sleep. Ardley was better, sometimes reminding our fans that he cared/is human. Yet his talk of football just seemed defensive of his decisions to set up our squad to draw games.

We've had some really baffling managers who gave poor interviews, no worse than Jamie Fullarton.

I do, from time to time, listen to Ian Burhcnall, who does speak very well and shows a good level of understanding of how things pan out during games.

I also like how he admits when he's wrong, whilst carefully criticising certain play - I don't think he names players either when its called for. It's good to have someone whom the fans are getting behind more and more.

I've never been that fussed about post-match interviews, but I do tend to watch Burchnall's. He comes across very well and clearly has a good knowledge of the game. Of course, there's a difference between recognising where things are going wrong and putting them right, and that'll be the proof of the pudding in the long term. Ardley was similar. Both of them take responsibility and never give you the feeling they were watching a different game.

On the other side of the spectrum there are managers who are immediately on the defensive and who try to fob off the interviewer with cliches. No names, but John Sheridan and Harry Kewell will know who I mean.

Agreed, I always listen to his interviews and if I miss one, I will go back to it when I can.

He just speaks so much common sense, you get to see his inner workings and I think his knowledge of the game comes across more than what others do. He's not just a talker, he's a thinker and practitioner.

i like how hes connecting and spending more time with the fans, its really nice to see. he said in one of his interviews how he speaks to the fans who go into the suites at meadow lane before games, i think things like this shows his commitment as its a nice tough.

his interviews are fine, i dont find them boring.

i have other peoples in the past.

6 minutes ago, liampie said:

i like how hes connecting and spending more time with the fans, its really nice to see. he said in one of his interviews how he speaks to the fans who go into the suites at meadow lane before games, i think things like this shows his commitment as its a nice tough.

his interviews are fine, i dont find them boring.

i have other peoples in the past.

He does my brother did the hospitality thing for his birthday a few games back and Ian was in there before and after the game chatting to the supporters my brother says he came across really well

Archived