Old School or New School: How do you consume your music?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I consume music in various ways, from my desktop/laptop, to my phones and other methods. I mostly use YouTube music now as it's just very convenient and has literally everything I could dream of wanting to hear. On my desktop, I have an app called MusicBee, which nicely presents all the songs/albums I have on my hard drive.

It has a plugin to bridge YouTube Music, which is handy, but I also use YouTube Music in my browser.

It's one of the most used apps on my phone too. I don't own a hi-fi system, Kate has one we don't use stored away but in terms of traditional means of playing music, we don't have any. CDs are just a collector's item now; we barely use them.

Prior to Christmas, @cheeky~k8 and I put our heads together and decided to buy @super_ram a new record player. It brings the radio, and phone streaming together. He could also record his music from vinyl. We went over one Sunday and helped Super set it up, we listened to a few records, and it took me back. Something I really enjoyed, it was nice to see my dad smile knowing he can listen to his collection again.

He also loves listening to YouTube music!

So, how do you listen to music? Do you have a subscription to Spotify or another music streaming service? Do you use YouTube Music? 

What's your preference and thoughts on vinyl, tap, CD, digital music? Let's try to have a fun discussion and learn more about each other.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I sold a lot of my vinyl records on eBay some years ago, I had some quite rare Rolling Stones LP’s which fetched a good amount. I have lots of cd’s but they are stored away and I never use them, instead I listen to music on our Google Home Hub which is similar to Alexa, if I want to hear a particular track I just say “hey google play………….” and it plays it. Other than that when I’m running I listen to my Spotify playlist through headphones, although I don’t have a subscription so I have to listen to adverts as well.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

pc and phone, but i want to get a hifi system that plays cds, connects to my phone, has the radio. i do listen to youtube music but I also gave 40,000 songs fro cds that i own on my pc that uses winamp to play.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Journeys to and from work are mostly consumed by podcasts for me but there are times I do actually listen to music. 

I tend to use Alexa, Spotify or YouTube whilst at home but only really listen to music when out in the garden, doing the pots or putting something on for background noise whilst playing games with family. 

At work we have a radio, although it's basically my radio as I'm the only one that really uses it 😂 

Radio stations vary for me - Kisstory, Greatest hits radio, Heart 00s or Radio X Classic Rock. 

I used to have a big CD collection but once the CD player packed in, just got rid of the lot tbf. 

Before podcasts, I used to listen to music all the time. On my old phone, I had over 1500 songs downloaded which made journeys good as there was a variety of genres. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Also new school here. I've got a Spotify subscription and get a lot of use out of it as I listen at work. I've also got a sound bar at home I listen on. 

I've still got all my CDs and have saved some of them to my computer using a lossless format, but most of the time I just stream them as I can barely tell the difference and its easier. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

16 hours ago, Chris said:

I consume music in various ways, from my desktop/laptop, to my phones and other methods. I mostly use YouTube music now as it's just very convenient and has literally everything I could dream of wanting to hear. On my desktop, I have an app called MusicBee, which nicely presents all the songs/albums I have on my hard drive.

It has a plugin to bridge YouTube Music, which is handy, but I also use YouTube Music in my browser.

It's one of the most used apps on my phone too. I don't own a hi-fi system, Kate has one we don't use stored away but in terms of traditional means of playing music, we don't have any. CDs are just a collector's item now; we barely use them.

Prior to Christmas, @cheeky~k8 and I put our heads together and decided to buy @super_ram a new record player. It brings the radio, and phone streaming together. He could also record his music from vinyl. We went over one Sunday and helped Super set it up, we listened to a few records, and it took me back. Something I really enjoyed, it was nice to see my dad smile knowing he can listen to his collection again.

He also loves listening to YouTube music!

So, how do you listen to music? Do you have a subscription to Spotify or another music streaming service? Do you use YouTube Music? 

What's your preference and thoughts on vinyl, tap, CD, digital music? Let's try to have a fun discussion and learn more about each other.

Spot on  @Chris,YouTube music is fantastic and so convenient but playing my old LPs  when my mood takes me is even better. A lot of my favourites aren't available now ,especially the 60's and 70's folk.It brings back so many memories,too.

+++

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
52 minutes ago, super_ram said:

brings back so many memories,too.

Yes music can be very powerful and take you back in time to memories that can be good but also can be unhappy memories.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Upon moving to America, I neglected to bring any records or music collection with me. Having had a significant assortment, some of which I inherited from my father, I now wish I had held onto them. Lacking any dedicated entertainment system for music, I never saw a need for one. Currently, the only items in my home that possess speakers are my laptop, phone, and radio.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I possess a micro hi-fi system that includes a tape deck (which I've never utilised), a CD player, DAB, FM, and AM (though I wonder if AM is still prevalent). Predominantly, I listen to the radio. I have around 30 CD albums which I've converted into MP3 formats and now keep on my mobile and laptop. Although I once had a Spotify subscription and could afford it, I don't see the necessity as YouTube Music fulfils the same function.