Lionesses

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,408
  • Days Won:  69

I really enjoyed the game.Some exceptional play at times.I hope we've got the controversies out of the way now.The commentators spoil it for me ,though.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

China’s ladies weren’t up to much, one of the poorest teams so far but a great win nonetheless. It will give our ladies the confidence to go forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSkipper said:

China’s ladies weren’t up to much, one of the poorest teams so far but a great win nonetheless. It will give our ladies the confidence to go forward.

I thought it was the Lionesses made China look ordinary @TheSkipper.They were far better in all aspects.China did put up a bit of resistance when they scored their penalty and our girls lost a bit of rhythm but not for long.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

The Lionesses rode their luck and were very fortunate to win the game today. It was far from a great performance, next game needs to be an improvement. 

Nigeria can feel very unfortunate they did not go through and get the win because they deserved it more than England in all honesty. 

Lauren James had shades of Beckham v Argentina in 98. It was absolutely the right decision to send her off, it also proved the benefits of VAR. No idea what was going through her head but there's no excuse for it and it made an already tough game that bit tougher. From then on the Lionesses were constantly on the defensive. 

Lucy Bronze also got lucky when she barged into the back of a Nigerian penalty and I'm very surprised that they didn't take a look at that because if they had it would have been given as a penalty. It was a definite penalty but fortunately from a Lioness point of view nothing doing. 

Jess Carter was absolutely magnificent today. She was there for everything. Covering, blocking, tackling. Solidified the defence. 

I really thought when Stanway missed the first penalty that that was it and the Lionesses had blown it. But fair play to the others for stepping up with such confidence and netting their penalties. Especially Daly and Kelly, both exceptional penalties. 

But, as they say, it doesn't matter how you do it the main thing is getting the result and that's just what the Lionesses did. It took penalties and alot of heart throughout extra time with 10 women to get through to the quarters. Hopefully performances improve and they progress even further. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,960
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

England were certainly very lucky to go through, Nigeria were the far better team. As you say @KB1862 England can have no complaints about the Lauren James sending off it was an awful incident, she should be ashamed.

• Like 2

@Fan of Big Tone without doubt Nigeria were the better team, they're very unfortunate in that game. Sense of frustration I feel from James but still no excuse. Thing is that's her tournament over now. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

Colombia on Saturday now, having already beaten Germany they certainly won't be fearing us. Having watched a bit of them I'd expect they'll approach the game similarly to Nigeria, they'll be physical against us and try and take the ball off us with a press.

Lauren James will be a big miss, scored some cracking goals already, but there are some good replacements in the likes of Toone or England.

• Like 3

The game against Colombia was never going to be an easy one. The crowd was hostile and had a major threat in Caceido, who is a really talented player bright future ahead for her. 

It was a tough, scrappy at times, kinda game. I can't help but feel that Lauren James would have thrived in a game like this. Not much room to move around the middle, which she'd excel at as she likes to carry the ball taking on players to make things happen. 

The referee seemed to let some clattering "challenges" go. The ones on Daly and Hemp should have been given as a foul but the referee just allowed the game to continue. 

I still don't believe for a second that the opening goal from Colombia was a shot, it was a miss hit cross that looped over Earps. However, Mary Earps positioning was all wrong. Had she been more in the centre of the goal as opposed to the front post she might have kept it out. Fun fact: Mary Earps is the first ponytailed England goalkeeper to be lobbed by a South American at a World Cup since David Seaman against Brazil in 2002 (saw this do the rounds on Social Media) 😅

A sense of fortune about the equaliser. The goalkeeper should have done alot better. But, have to give credit to Lauren Hemp she readied herself and stayed alert incase of a loose ball which paid off as she latched on to the fumble by the keeper. 

Russo played brilliantly yesterday her defensive work was great and she fully deserved her goal. 

The Lionesses weren't dominant in the game but they dug in, fought till the end and got the result to book their place in the semi final which again won't be an easy game by any stretch. 

I agree with Emma Hayes on commentary that this game was calling out for 2 pivots in the midfield as they struggled to get much of the ball or keep hold of it. 

Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to catch the next game or even the final if they make it. But I'll still be keeping my eye out for the results. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,488
  • Days Won:  5

I thought England might have exited in their game against Colombia, they did enough to prevent that, but there were some dodgy moments. Australia is perhaps even luckier than England, they haven't been exactly great.

• Like 1

• Chris unfeatured this topic

Supporter+

Anyone watching the semi final England v Australia, it’s just started.

Supporter+

Lionesses winning 1-0 at half time.

Lionesses 3 - 1 and not much time left

Supporter+

England are in the World Cup Final, not often you can say that. :clapping:

• Like 1

England are in the Football world cup final! Well done ladies. Now go on and win it.

Actually managed to watch the match despite being at work. Gaffer allowed us to have the TV on and watch it but if something needed to be done then we'd have to get back in the yard to get the job done. Fortunately nothing needed doing and we got to watch the whole match 😅

It was an more comfortable game than I was expecting tbf. 

The Lionesses did brilliantly well and are one step closer to becoming European and World Champions consecutively. 

Let's hope they can get the job done on Sunday. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Very disappointed that the ladies didn’t win the World Cup, I didn’t think they played to their best potential as they had in previous games possibly the occasion got to them but well done Spain, it’s clear that ladies football is here to stay and will only grow in popularity which is really good news for football fans.

• Like 1

I think you're correct about the occasion getting to them @Fan of Big Tone.They didn't play anywhere near as good as they normally do..The better team on the day won but I was irritated by the Spanish girls tendency to go to ground at the slightest excuse..

• Like 1

• Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

has it finished yet? i totally forgot about.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, liampie said:

The final was on Sunday morning, @liampie.Spain beat England 1 - 0

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  389
  • Days Won:  0

I sympathise with the England women's team; their performance was outstanding, and reaching the final demonstrates their significant progress. Spain's emergence as winners is unexpected; the pre-tournament favourites were Sweden and the US. The unfortunate consequence is that it exposes the absurdity of those who made sexist remarks, boasting about their superiority over the men's team. Drawing comparisons between the two is unnecessary; our focus should be on sheer pride.

• Like 2

Supporter+
4 hours ago, liampie said:

Have you been on a desert island @liampie? :joker:
They’ve talked about nothing else on the news, newspapers etc. etc.

• Haha 1

Supporter+

Nice to see Nottingham girl Mary Earp win the Golden Glove. She’s had an exceptional tournament.

• Like 1

Didn't get to see the game on Sunday. Went to Skegness Aquarium and trip to the beach but got back to the caravan for the 13 minutes added time.

Plenty of people were out and about around Ingoldmells and Skeggy in England tops, face paints and flags. Great to see how far the Women's football has come. 

From what people have told me about the game and from the read up on the game, it didn't sound like the Lionesses played particularly good which is a shame really. But all that aside, it's a great achievement reaching 2 consecutive finals and it's only the Lionesses first competitive defeat under Wiegman. 

The Lionesses can hold their heads high despite defeat. 

• Love 1

Another bit of positivity the Lionesses can take from reaching the final of the World Cup is that they managed it at half capacity.

Leah Williamson, Fran Kirby and Beth Mead all out injured. Millie Bright was a doubt for tournament leading up to it Not to mention the likes of Jill Scott and Ellen White both retiring. 

If they can achieve what they did with these sort of problems, imagine what they could do at full capacity. 

• Like 1