Leicester City 0 Notts County 4 .... 40 years ago today

Piethagoram

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I can't put my finger on who Mark Grew reminds me off, but he's a name that I don't recall ever hearing.

I bet he doesn't remember (or want to) much about this game, if I had made my debut and saw four goals smashed against me. I am not sure how I could handle that.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I wasn’t present at the match, but I remember it. Those were the good old days! Leicester City’s Foxes couldn’t handle our flying Magpies!

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

I wonder if this was the last time that Notts beat Leicester City in a competitive game at their ground. Those days are cherished forever. Such a good time.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

what a game that would have been, where leicester city a big club back then? i hope we can get back to playing teams like derby, leicester etc. it would be good for meadow lane and notts in general.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Despite Leicester City’s defeat, this must have been an exhilarating match. Does anyone have any memorable anecdotes from the game? I would be intrigued to hear them.

@Piethagoram, would you consider contributing something about it? It’s challenging for fans like me to elaborate further, but I am curious about the experiences of Notts fans on that day, their expectations, and so on.

• Love 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

I’d be interested in learning more about this game. Have we ever had a rivalry with them?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

Sounds like a good game even if we dont really have the rivalry with them.. its a good score for notts... Even on a friendly game level.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I took the train to Leicester. The terrace streets around Filbert Street and we had to queue single file along the street to enter the ground through the turnstiles.

It was Larry Lloyd's 1st game in charge, our 3rd season in the top flight, and we had signed Martin O'Neill from Norwich for £40k

Notts team: 1. Seamus McDonagh 2. Aki Lahtinen 3. Nigel Worthington 4. Mark Goodwin 5. Brian Kilcline 6. David Hunt 7. John Chiedozie * 8. Justin Fashanu 9. Trevor Christie 10. Rachid Harkouk 11. Martin O'Neill Sub: Ian McParland *

Leicester City: 1. Mark Grew 2. Paul Ramsey 3. Bobby Smith 4. Kevin McDonald 5. Ian Banks 6. John O'Neill 7. Steve Lynex 8. Gary Lineker 9. Alan Smith 10. Robert Jones 11. Ian Wilson

Lineker and Alan Smith (later at Arsenal) their stand out players

O'Neill opened the scoring but it was a Trevor Christie hat trick , that meant Notts sat on top of the Division 1 table (Premier League equivalent) that evening!

Mark Goodwin had an excellent game too, returning to his old club

I seem to recall we had police protection for the Notts supporters walking back to the station

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

This is awful, I’m ashamed to say I can’t remember this match at all, I doubt I would have travelled because I would remember it but I’m sure I would have been aware of it at the time and probably listened on the radio to uncle Colin. I can only think that 40 years ago I was deeply embroiled in family life with two very young children (5 and 2), we had very little money to spend on food let alone football so that’s my excuse. I do however remember the team @Piethagoram quoted some great players in that team.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

On 27/08/2023 at 21:32, Chris said:

I can't put my finger on who Mark Grew reminds me off, but he's a name that I don't recall ever hearing.

With the right beard he looks a lot like a young Billy Connolly, @Chris