are we as fans guilty of being too critical at times?

liampie

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

i have been watching a lot of pundit videos on football, along with vlogs and articles.

our recent game against tranmere rovers was a very enjoyable game.

not just because of how notts played but also how tranmere did, the game was very lively and i thought the atmosphere made it even greater. but i found myself asking are we being too critical at times? does it effect the fun of watching games back?

dan crowley missed a sitter, after david mcgoldrick hit the post from his shot. it bounced around and somehow perfectly found its way to matt palmer. who put in an excellent pass for crowley who really should have scored but placed the ball wide of the goal post. this moment in the game had me very excited, almost on the edge of my seat because notts had put a lot of pressure to score a 2nd goal. reading back, seeing all the comments, i do wonder if we are guilty of being too critical and if it comes as a cost to the enjoyment?

i am not saying its wrong to be critical, i am just asking does it ruin the enjoyment of that moment in the game when things that entertain us happen and then looking back we tend to put it under a magnifying glass.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  10,959
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I try not to be over critical because I know that the last thing the players want is to miss that absolute sitter or let that attacker get the better of them and score a goal but at times it does happen and when it does at a match I might let out a groan but it’s not a negative groan just a disappointed one. I hate it when fans shout negatively towards players who make a mistake.

Similarly when posting here and elsewhere I’d rather post positively than the opposite.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

Yes, I think so.

I don’t think your point is about being negative, but more about dwelling on mistakes. I heard some daft comments, albeit acceptable ones, about Dan Crowley. I think if people can’t get over incidents, then it falls into this category. They are being too critical, and I would imagine it does impact the fun of just experiencing a good time. I hate when Foghorn Leghorns shout nonsense and judge everything as if they were either playing or the manager. I would much rather sit in a quiet area without any atmosphere. Everyone from time to time will be critical to a degree; I think it’s about perspective and balance. If Notts are doing well, the players put in their duties and give 100%, then it’s not the worst thing to let things go.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I believe that we all have the ability to persevere, even if the outcome is not in our favour. It’s not a failure if you can move forward. I concur that some football fans can be excessively critical, but thankfully, such behaviour is not exhibited here. While I admit to being critical at times, I believe that it can be constructive and positive, as long as it is done with sincerity and in a healthy manner.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,488
  • Days Won:  5

It’s an interesting point; I think we all do from time to time. I would rather support and enjoy watching Notts than allow what happens to cause me to be too critical. At times this will happen, but I think I am able to reset. I know there are people who have a disliking for Sam Slocombe, and this season it seems to be Connell Rawlinson and Kyle Cameron. To be at the point where you call for them to leave or complain after one mistake, not taking into consideration all the good they do, then I would hate to be those types of people. They are far too unreasonable and critical of things.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

@Fan of Big Tone i think most pon members are able to put mistakes past once the game has finished, some may need a day or two but usually common sense prevents it being long term. i was not bothered when dan crowley missed, but its the type of thing had notts drawn some might have been a bit critical of. i think enjoying the game first and foremost is important as thats what we pay to see, a good result is only a bonus.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,134
  • Days Won:  2

I think we are at times guilty of being too critical, but maybe not completely negative. It is normal to hold players to a high standard, but the point about just enjoying football is something worth remembering. I would rather see Notts win having played well than complain about a few mistakes and only have that as the focus.

• Like 5

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think when you feel critical of what's happening, it can impact the enjoyment.

It's hard for me to pick at faults and keep doing so, because I am not that critical of things because I feel that usually the better things that happen out weigh the negatives. We all have the potential to lose the enjoyment of a game by overthinking things, that's just football within itself and human nature. As I say, I try to be very positive and rather look on the bright side. I wished I could make a difference by printing this discussion off and giving it to some of the new annoying fans that sit near to me.

When Dan Crowley missed, f-bombs and he's f****** useless cried out.

The moment Connell Rawlinson scored, one of the mentioned fans shouted "how long to score a second, these are easy."

I won't go any further, as the comments shouted to Cedwyn Scott did anger me. I didn't say anything this time, but I found myself stirring and being told off by @super_pie. With the encouragement of "just ignore him, dad." muttered to me.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

This is an interesting point @liampie. I would wager that most people on here aren't nearly as critical or analytical when they're actually at a match. This is a place where we can mull over and analyse what we've seen, but as the match is usually long finished by the time most people log in to PON, the spontaneous excitement of a match doesn't really come across. It might do when there are live updates, but most people's attention is elsewhere.

I think that's reasonable. What is less reasonable is just being an absolute misery as @Chris describes, but that's people for you.

• Like 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

I try to balance criticism with positives. I always try to see the brighter side of situations, and although that can be hard, I feel it’s something I do well. I can perhaps be a little critical, but I would never let it cost my enjoyment. We have had our ups and downs, mostly downs, and it’s nice to have a club that is trying to move forward in the right way. I do think we have some massive idiots on social media, people who take joy in picking at the players and moaning. They’re extremely critical, but I don’t focus any energy or time on them.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  686
  • Days Won:  1

It's my belief that fans often live in the present and don't consider events beyond what has recently occurred. While it's uncertain whether some fans are too critical, it is a possibility. Generally speaking, I find that fans frequently undermine the joyous moments by continuously fixating on the negatives, like a broken record. I personally find these types of fans to be dull and excessively serious. Football is a game filled with passion, but we must remember that the players on the field are human beings who shouldn't be subjected to the incessant complaints of such individuals.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

On 31/08/2023 at 21:34, BromPie said:

It’s an interesting point; I think we all do from time to time. I would rather support and enjoy watching Notts than allow what happens to cause me to be too critical. At times this will happen, but I think I am able to reset. I know there are people who have a disliking for Sam Slocombe, and this season it seems to be Connell Rawlinson and Kyle Cameron. To be at the point where you call for them to leave or complain after one mistake, not taking into consideration all the good they do, then I would hate to be those types of people. They are far too unreasonable and critical of things.

This is the attitude that irks me.  If everyone criticised Macca on the same basis (i.e. every time he missed a shot or a pass went astray) then we would have a very different view on his abilities. It seems that every season there has to be a scapegoat, and it seems pointless.

• Like 2