Fact of the day : Cup competitions

Piethagoram

While the statement that Luke Williams despises cup games may not come across as particularly well-articulated, it does give off a somewhat immature impression. However, it is worth pondering what has become of the individuals who expressed their dissatisfaction with the EFL Trophy owing to the participation of Premier League U21 teams, or their belief that it is merely a tinpot cup.

• Like 6

@AmericanPie never understood the reason as to why u21s are even included in this trophy. It takes away the competition from teams in League 1 and 2. Not to mention the fact that some of these teams field some first teamers from time to time. 

The Premier League shuns the EFL of propositions yet the Premier League are able to take into an EFL competition. 

I think the competition lost its credibility when u21 teams were able to join. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

The EFL trophy is a bastardised competition.  It is neither a competition for lower league sides, nor a competition for academy squads.  As a result it is treated with the respect it deserves - weak teams and small crowds. It needs a rethink to make it one thing or the other...a reserve team competition with the academy teams, or a lower league competition without them.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I’m unsure if there’s a hint of irony in the comment, as I find it hard to take it seriously. Otherwise, I’d suggest it was penned in a fit of pique because the author felt Notts were obliged to win the match. Football doesn’t operate like that, and I’m certain Luke Williams doesn’t despise cup competitions. If that belief is held, it’s simply a nonsensical viewpoint.

• Like 6

62 likes? That's ridiculous. Luke Williams formed a highly esteemed team, and I observed numerous individuals advocating for most of the initial players. I commend him for affording them the opportunity. I am confident that both the FA Cup and League Cup will receive greater importance.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The EFL Trophy isn't worth our time.

I have always been against the inclusion of Premier League U21s, just because the Premier League threw more money at us lower tier teams isn't a good excuse for me to give a damn about it. I only care about the League and FA Cup. These are the competitions as children most would dream of winning, if a professional football told me they aspired to win the EFL Trophy - I think I would laugh.

I say hate away in regard to this, I am sure when the League and FA Cup comes round more seriously.

• Like 4

While the statistics may be intriguing, they can seem pointless and appear to be quoted arbitrarily. Luke Williams doesn’t intentionally set his team up for defeat; it’s just that most games have unfortunately been part of this farcical competition.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

In my opinion every single club should play their strongest side for every game they play. If they don't field their best team they should be fined or removed from the competition.

There's too much of it in the Premier League because the rich teams focus is on the Premier League and champions league. That's where they make their money. It is even creeping into the lower league teams and I think it is a retrograde step.

Meanwhile, because these Premier  League teams have large squads with superior second string players, they can afford to put out a B team. When this happens the football fan is cheated of seeing the great players in action, and seeing their lower league side compete with the best.

I just don't like it when teams put out B teams.