Match Discussion: Game 20 - The Red Devils (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
37 minutes ago, menzinho said:

Really pleased for Morias, I feel he gets some unwarranted stick considering his playing time is minimal.

I couldn’t agree more, in fact I was coming on to say almost exactly the same thing, I’m delighted for him and now hopefully he can kick on if he’s given some game time.

The first half I was worried Slocombe seemed to be really struggling the fact that he was taken off injured at half time perhaps explains this, Stone came and dealt with everything that came his way admirably. Overall a good positive showing from Notts especially in the second half, we need to start working on our goal difference now so we can move up the table.

• Like 11

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,742
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

A big shout out for Adam Chicksen. Thought he offered a new option for a defensive midfield role.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

On 27/11/2023 at 18:27, RetroPie said:

Please, let’s try not to criticise the players in the first half if the performance isn’t up to par. Let’s encourage them instead. I have a bad feeling that Crawley might score early, which could lead to a barrage of criticism towards the players. On paper, Notts should be fine, but I do worry about this team when they concede early and start to panic.

That was very prophetic.  I looked in on another forum and it was in meltdown!

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,962
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have defended how we play the ball from the back, including how we have a tendency to bring the ball back from an attacking position to the keeper. I can see how effective this can be in some cases, but it's not when you are being pressed so much and the opposition are relentless with doing so.

Notts started off well, very early on but after a very short time it quickly became Crawley's opening.

They seemed very efficient with playing smart little one, two's and at times we simply didn't suss out that they would make such quick movement. I can understand how this situation would make you nervous, but defensively and from Sam Slocombe's point of view it just made things worse. I felt very sorry for Slocombe, he's clearly giving 100% but isn't used to playing in this way - at his age it can be difficult if you are not comfortable with the ball at your feet, passing to and from nearby players.

Some fans near me thought it was appropriate to give Slocombe stick, some very foul comments and I told one usual suspect to "shut up, and sit down". Right at the moment David McGoldrick went on to score for us.

But going back a little, Adam Campbell's effort wasn't going to be saved it was just a superb strike.

Crawley truly deserves credit for their exceptional passing movement, relentless pressure, and unwavering determination to chase after every single opportunity. I must admit, it was truly impressive. Credit should be given where it's due.

McGoldrick proved to be a game charger, and he worked so hard to get us going. It gave us what we needed going into half-time, as we needed to adjust to how Crawley were playing. I wasn't pleased with some of their antics, such as their number 9, Danilo Orsi such a dirty player. Elbows, stamping, and forcefully pushing with aggression. How he wasn't sent off, I don't know.

Second half, we did exactly what was needed, and I think Aidan Stone wasn't a needed change, but I do acknowledge that he's far more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

The cross for Jim O'Brien's goal, it was perfect! I saw it in slow motion, and it was timed to perfection. O'Brien deserved the goal.

Dan Crowley for me played very well, he was my Man of the Match. Playfully, Crowley teased Adam Chicksen after the game, suggesting that Jodi only won the vote due to the presence of his family. 🤣

Jodi Jones played very well, looked hungry to score and create chances but for me Crowley got us moving with so much purpose. His interceptions and quick turning gave us a front foot, and although he missed a couple of chances. He helped others to get into the game, whilst showing so much of his own energy.

Before the game, I spoke to @ARLukomski. I asked him for his score prediction, and he said he wasn't sure.

I replied, 3-1, and that I can see them scoring first.

• Like 10

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  731
  • Days Won:  3

The match had a shaky start, but it eventually found its rhythm. The second half was a game-changer. We started playing more like Crawley did in the first half. We put a lot of pressure on them and looked much more threatening. Realistically, we could have scored two more goals if our decisions and finishing were better. But, I’m happy we managed to bounce back after being 1-0 down.

• Like 7

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Days Won:  17

Great game and good to come away with 3 points. Their number 9 was a dirty so and so, should've been sent off not fetched off. Girl behind us shouted dirty cheat to him and he looked up at her and grinned, so he knew he'd had a lucky escape. COYP

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

Well, that game was very "League Two" - scrappy, lots of misplaced passes and some nervy defending from both teams. We badly needed a Palmer in there in the first half to help us play it out. But the way we took control in the second half and came back showed real character. Really chuffed that Morias scored and JOB finally got the chance to show off his tattoo!

7 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

That was very prophetic.  I looked in on another forum and it was in meltdown!

It always is. We're a newly promoted team, it was highly unlikely we were going to sail through the division. Some people need to get a grip.

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Danilo Orsi such a dirty player. Elbows, stamping, and forcefully pushing with aggression. How he wasn't sent off, I don't know.

Was he the one who elbowed Macari(?) in the face off the ball? I've seen players get a straight red for that.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  1

AN having more trouble taking throw ins now... Not only does he take a long time.. He can't keep both feet on the ground..... He got pulled twice last night... They were the only times the lino saw him...... But it happens more times than not!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,962
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

Was he the one who elbowed Macari(?) in the face off the ball? I've seen players get a straight red for that.

Yes, he also stamped on Lewis Macari after knocking him to the ground. Both incidents he did on purpose, I heard the yell and from Macari as he was on the ground.  Orsi ran to another Crawley player, quite close to where I was sat, put his hand to his mouth then started making hand gestures, that seemed to motion that he believed Macari had dived. They both proceeded to laugh, when the referee finally spoke to Macari, Orsi  jogged to the half way line to surround himself more with their players.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  525

Crawley should have stuck to their strategy that allowed them to control most of the first half. Instead, they let Notts start to show their quality. Our midfield, even though it was a bit makeshift, did incredibly well. I thought the second half was excellent. We won’t always dominate teams for the full 90 minutes and sometimes we’ll find it tough, but that’s why our possession and passing are so crucial.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Days Won:  5

Crawley looked strong in the first half, not so much in the second. They might have tired out, but that’s no excuse. I still think the result would have gone our way because Notts tends to perform when attacking the KOP. We usually play well in either the first or the second half, rarely throughout the whole game.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

It’s a victory, and that’s the main thing. The first half wasn’t great, but games like this have their moments. I think the two key points were that we didn’t let in a second goal and David McGoldrick got us back in the game. The second half was outstanding and very satisfying. Much improved!

• Like 5

• Content Count:  367
  • Days Won:  0

It was a great win. If we’d started brighter, I don’t think there would have been any doubt. I think we need to be a bit more consistent in defence. If we handle those early decisions better, I think we’ll get into the swing of games much quicker. Jodi Jones, Dan Crowley, Aarone Nemane, and David McGoldrick were all top-notch.

• Like 3

• liampie unfeatured this topic

• Content Count:  278

Crawley Town seemed really prepared for the game, pursuing and shutting down everything. They put in a lot of effort to create opportunities and could be seen as unlucky. Adam Campbell’s strike was very well aimed.

David McGoldrick’s strike was also impressive, he was at the heart of most of our best play in the first half.

By the second half, our team had really come to life, and the substitutions added an extra spark. I thought we turned the game around brilliantly and could have won by more than a 2 goal lead. A 3-1 win overall seemed quite fair.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,128
  • Days Won:  2

Notts turned the match around with their start, even though it wasn’t the prettiest. I had the impression that Crawley, with their style of play, would score a few past Sam Slocombe. Luckily, David McGoldrick equalised for us, which I think significantly dented the confidence of our opponents. I wasn’t impressed with their goalkeeper, who seemed a bit lost, but the rest of their team appeared quite competent. Thankfully, they weren’t as good as our squad, and we managed to secure the victory.