Match Discussion: Game 42 - The Dons (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Goal to MK Dons 2:2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

2-2 now. A point would be most welcome but 3 points would be better!

Supporter+

Another goal to MKDons.

Our defence woeful.

Notts 2 MK Dons 3

I'm sorry but why make substitutions to a side that was doing so well.

Taking Austin off and Jatta absolutely criminal.

Supporter+

Goal number 3 for Notts.

Nemane with the goal from a cross by Jones.

Supporter+

Goal number 3 for Notts.

Nemane with the goal from a cross by Jones.

It ends as a 3:3 draw 

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I thought a point was the least we deserved today, we played a lot better in the first half and tired in the second half. Very good entertainment for any neutral that attended.

Sad to see Maynard Out banners appearing I don’t think it helps.

• Like 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

6 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I thought a point was the least we deserved today, we played a lot better in the first half and tired in the second half. Very good entertainment for any neutral that attended.

Sad to see Maynard Out banners appearing I don’t think it helps.

And they call themselves Notts fans. @Fan of Big Tone I did listen to the match and it was great to hear the genuine Notts fan getting behind the team.I was obviously hoping Notts would win and it did sound like a great game for a neutral.

• Like 1

Supporter+

A much better performance by Notts today. It reminded me how Notts used to play earlier in the season. 

The first half performance was just what the fans wanted and we were unlucky not to be ahead at the break

We went behind to a good goal by MK Dons but Notts got the deserved equaliser just before the break when Austin poked home.

We started well in the second half and went ahead by a good header from Jatta from an excellent cross by Chicksen.

After Notts went ahead they allowed MK Dons to dominate and 2 mistakes in our defence again let Notts down.

Deservedly Notts got the equaliser late in the game, Jodi Jones crossing for Nemane to stroke home.

The positive thing from this result is that we have avoided 6 straight defeats at home which would have been an unwanted record.

The performance today gives me hope that things will get better at Meadow Lane. A good performance against a top four side just shows what this side is capable of.

By the way, we are staying up 😁

Forest Green and Sutton can only get to 51 now we are on 52

• Like 1

Supporter+
46 minutes ago, super_ram said:

And they call themselves Notts fans. @Fan of Big Tone I did listen to the match and it was great to hear the genuine Notts fan getting behind the team.I was obviously hoping Notts would win and it did sound like a great game for a neutral.

Thankfully the fans with banner were a small minority @super_ram the majority gave the team a great reception at the end.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Enjoy watching our three goals against MK Dons today.

The goal by Jatta reminded me of Tony Hateley at his best. Looks like we've got a good outlet for next season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,145
  • Days Won:  17

The Banner regarding Maynard Out it was only a matter of time, and to be Honest I was surprised it took this Long. I don't Agree with it but those Notts Fans are Entitled to Opinion. It may be only a Minority  at the moment but how long before it becomes the Majority? Why did Maynard play Chicksen and Not Jones? Despite Jones being on the pitch for what  11 minutes? He still chalked up another Assist . I can't believe Macca's Luck in front of goal just lately he must be wondering what he needs to do to get back on the score sheet. Well it now seems Notts can't be relegated even mathematically.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Another angle of Jatta's Hateleyesk Header for our second goal.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Can’t really fault the first half, they score out of nothing but we were a lot more pro-active in trying to create chances and deservedly equalised.

But we kind of sat back too much once we scored our 2nd. I get that it’s natural to sit back and protect the lead, but we still needed to provide a threat on the counter and keep the intensity with our pressing. We had a really poor 30 minutes where MK were in control and grabbed 2 goals. Their triple sub helped them, whereas I thought for 20 minutes Bostock really slowed us down.

At least we showed a bit of character and got the equaliser but it’s a tad frustrating to score once we went behind. Overall given our second half performance a draw was probably a fair result. You can’t fault the effort and there seems to be no issues with the relationship between SM and themselves.

Missed opportunities is how I feel best sums up SM time so far and seeing that Sutton put 3 past Swindon makes that result even worse. Today was better and MK are a good side but we desperately need a home win before the season is over.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man Jones's wife has had a baby, he's had no sleep or training done this week. That's why he wasn't selected to start.

I think we have to give Maynard credit for his team selection today,  Ashby-Hammond, Chicksen, Jatta and Austin all featured today. 

Ashby-Hammond distribution was good, couldn't be faulted with any of the goals, Chicksen has an assist, Jatta scores again, Austin scored and Jones came on later and had another assist.

Chicksen played very well today and it was like old times with him just like he was playing last season. 

The side played with pride, passion and an intensity today which was most welcome. We lost some of that when Austin went off injured. Austin had been pressing so well before he came off. Bostock is not the same player he was earlier in the season.

I thought Notts were unfortunate not to win the match and were let down by two avoidable defensive errors once again.

I'm pleased with the result, we are mathematically safe for another season, we have an exciting player in Jatta to look forward to next season.

Sort out our defensive frailties with new players and we will be a threat to anyone next season.

The banner was unfortunate but soon got folded away when we scored.

It is clear by that performance that the players are still behind Maynard and if we play like that for the last 5 games, I think he will still be there at the beginning of the next season.

• Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,145
  • Days Won:  17

Robbie

I didn't know about the Jones baby but sleepless nights are something he'll have get used too, and hopefully won't effect his training to much in the future. The problem is Notts had a decent sort of result today but it's still Not Enough (in my opinion) for Maynard to keep his job. It seems if Notts get a Result i e the victories at Newport and Bradford and todays draw some Fans think the worst is over but what usually happens in the following match the Magpies drop back into the same Old Routine  it also seemed that once Notts had gotten in front they reverted back to their tippy tappy Football instead of going in for the Kill and once again the Dons third goal their player had acres and acres of room, by easily beating the offside trap, then it was thankyou and another goal for the opposition how many times have we Fans seen that this season? The Bigger picture should be looked at and not just the Odd Good Result. After all 9 points out of 42 isn't anything to write home about. The Form of Jatta is certainly a Bright Point amongst the Gloom at Notts and hopefully he can carry on with his Goal Scoring Prowess in the Future.

• Like 1

Supporter+
2 hours ago, Robbie said:

The goal by Jatta reminded me of Tony Hateley at his best.

That is exactly what I thought @Robbie what a great header it was, Big Tone would have been proud of that.

• Love 2

Supporter+

I agree with @Robbie the thing we can take from that game is that Maynard hasn’t lost the dressing room, the team were definitely putting a shift in, showed passion and a desire to win which is all we can ask as fans.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

Convinced myself to go after saying I wouldn’t after the Salford game. Much better performance for 60 minutes and then we lost control of the midfield when Sam had to go off. JOB should have been brought on to maintain the midfield’s energy because Bostock has become terrible and we were left with a tiring Robertson trying valiantly to keep control.

Positives were that Jatta & Macca both played well and Macca definitely didn’t go missing like he often does against big clubs.

Losing the press through tired legs isn’t helping, but JB and Didzy aren’t capable of continuing it when they come on. Their keeper looked well suspect early on with the ball at his feet when our energy levels were high.

Thought it was funny when SM said that he didn’t see the banners, I think he was the only person in the ground that didn’t and that could explain some of his past pressers as to how he sees a different game to the rest of us.

Supporter+

Interesting remarks from the MK Dons Manager saying complementary things about Notts after the game to the media.

• Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

The overwhelming feeling is that we are just woeful at defending. The slightest bit of pressure almost guarantees the opposition a goal.

Substitutions almost cost us the game. Energy that Austin brings completely lost when Bostock was brought on. Taking your best defender off and bringing on Warner is baffling. The kids on twitter proclaimed him to be the next van Dijk, however the more I see him the worse he becomes. Not a clue how to position himself defensively. Jatta off was another strange sub. 

• Confused 1

Supporter+

@Super_Danny_Allsopp

Austin was injured, so it was a forced change, and Stuart changed to another midfielder. Bostock isn't the player he was earlier in the season, Jatta had run his socks off and his not yet up to full fitness and was taken off for McGoldrick who is regarded as one of our best players.

Just remember, Stuart selected Jatta to start the game ahead of McGoldrick so that was a good move on Stuart's part.

Ashley-Hamnond, Austin, and Jatta were picks that paid off today, Jones was another good substitution that supplied an assist for the third goal.

So all in all it was a good game for Stuart, You can't blame him for individual defensive errors either.

Supporter+
9 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Thought it was funny when SM said that he didn’t see the banners, I think he was the only person in the ground that didn’t and that could explain some of his past pressers as to how he sees a different game to the rest of us.

On social media those who had sat in the cop said that those so called supporters put their banner away when we equalised but never celebrated our goal. 

7 minutes ago, Robbie said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp

Austin was injured, so it was a forced change, and Stuart changed to another midfielder. Bostock isn't the player he was earlier in the season, Jatta had run his socks off and his not yet up to full fitness and was taken off for McGoldrick who is regarded as one of our best players.

Just remember, Stuart selected Jatta to start the game ahead of McGoldrick so that was a good move on Stuart's part.

Ashley-Hamnond, Austin, and Jatta were picks that paid off today, Jones was another good substitution that supplied an assist for the third goal.

So all in all it was a good game for Stuart, You can't blame him for individual defensive errors either.

Was he? Didn't seem injured to me. Bostock was the wrong sub to bring on, lost the midfield from that point. 

McGoldrick didn't look fit. 

I'm sorry, you can fanboy for SM all you like, but 1 single point at home does not constitute 'a good game for Stuart'.

• Surprised 1

Supporter+
5 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Was he? Didn't seem injured to me. Bostock was the wrong sub to bring on, lost the midfield from that point. 

McGoldrick didn't look fit. 

I'm sorry, you can fanboy for SM all you like, but 1 single point at home does not constitute 'a good game for Stuart'.

Half the side are simply not good enough for league 2, we all know that. That's down to the previous Manager not sorting the problems out when he had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Most on social media were praising Stuart and the side after the game 

Some people need to get over Luke Williams. He got us promoted then messed things up big time. 

Looks like the owners want to give Stuart time. We weren't ready for promotion anyway.

I remember big Sam had a very bad start and people at the time were calling for his head too. Look how that turned out 

20 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Half the side are simply not good enough for league 2, we all know that. That's down to the previous Manager not sorting the problems out when he had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Most on social media were praising Stuart and the side after the game 

Some people need to get over Luke Williams. He got us promoted then messed things up big time. 

Looks like the owners want to give Stuart time. We weren't ready for promotion anyway.

I remember big Sam had a very bad start and people at the time were calling for his head too. Look how that turned out 

??!!

Luke Williams is the reason we have a L2 team to support next season and not a National League team. Let it be clear; if the team performed for LW like they have for SM, we'd be back in the pit of misery next season.

• Like 1