Magpie Circle podcast with Messrs Palmer and Montague v Messrs Mace & Stallard

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man I think it’s on YouTube live so you don’t have to have X.

• Like 4

@Wheelbarrow repair man Magpie Circle is on YouTube. You don't need an account, just go to YouTube and search for it. And if you're too busy repairing wheelbarrows, you don't have to watch it live either (if it's like the other Magpie Circle episodes).

I'm expecting some politician's answers as club employees are limited in what they can say and they can hardly rip into our current players. That limitation aside, I think it'll be illuminating and it's good that they're speaking on a fans' platform that isn't controlled by the club. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I would have a few questions to ask.

I would ask if there are plans to improve/modify the concourses around the stadium to reopen the seats that have been covered up, so that Meadow Lane can become a 20,000 seater stadium again?

I would also ask if there are plans to have a standing area in the Stadium once again.

There will probably be more questions asked about Stuart Maynard's future but I believe the club has addressed that.

• Like 1

Supporter+
37 minutes ago, Robbie said:

I would also ask if there are plans to have a standing area in the Stadium once again.

I think the club have already committed to that unless I dreamt it.

Not that it would interest me my back wouldn’t let me stand for 90+ minutes. ☹️

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I think the club have already committed to that unless I dreamt it.

Not that it would interest me my back wouldn’t let me stand for 90+ minutes. ☹️

I probably should have asked  when will the standing only work be done?

I won't be standing, those days are long gone, but I'm sure the much younger fraternity would be interested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

@Wheelbarrow repair man Magpie Circle is on YouTube. You don't need an account, just go to YouTube and search for it. And if you're too busy repairing wheelbarrows, you don't have to watch it live either (if it's like the other Magpie Circle episodes).

I'm expecting some politician's answers as club employees are limited in what they can say and they can hardly rip into our current players. That limitation aside, I think it'll be illuminating and it's good that they're speaking on a fans' platform that isn't controlled by the club. 

I would hope the question doesn't go down that route as it would be a waste of time... those are for when Stuart Maynard is on! This really should be about process, vision and the organisation of the club.

I would hope they are questioned on the recruitment process; how many people are involved, who identifies the targets, how much input do various people have, what else they look at in addition to metrics, will there be more focus on defenders in the summer, does the system have a blind spot for defenders and if so what can they do to update the model, do they have plans in place to replace players should the need arise through transfers or injuries (i.e are we in a position to move quickly if the situation were to arise towards the end of the transfer window). 

Something else I would ask is how much input does the coach have into the style of play we have.  Continuity suggests that coaches that play a certain way are favoured, but how much scope does the Head Coach have to change things up - be more direct if needed etc (I am sure that would result in a political answer though).

What is the view on squad depth? This season we have seen that a few injuries have led to an inability to rotate and as a result players have been playing with minor injuries or fatigued and form has dropped off a bit.  As much as anything that could be the difference between playoffs and mid-table. 

Off the field - what is the vision?  How do they see Notts as a club in 5 / 10 years?  Not in terms of what division we will be in,  but in terms of facilities, brand awareness, visibility in the community, relations with the City Council etc and how do they get there.  

Lastly, and most importantly, where will the monorail station be located?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Brilliant Questions Robbie and Ohh Tommy Johnson. I would have questions along the same lines. The Problem is mostly when you ask a difficult Question the Um's and the Err's Start and the Question gets danced around and it's Not Answered to the questioner's Satisfaction. All this Nothing Is Off Limits Is A Load of Nonsense. Why don't they just say we'll answer Questions we want to answer? Mind you if they did they wouldn't have much of a Pod Cast or whatever.

It is unfortunate but I think that a Vast Majority of the Questions asked will be about Stuart Maynard, but those questions should be asked on another individual Pod Cast.

What I would like to know  Is Richard Montague Aware of the Massive Fan disapproval of his Recruitment strategy? By that I mean it's been painstakingly obvious that the Notts Defence as been lacking League Football Standard Defenders for several seasons now, So What is he and his team Going To Do About It? Another Question is why do Notts have Loan players, when surely Youth players deserve a crack at a first team spot, without being loaned out over and over again? 

To Joe Palmer I would ask, You keep coming up with these Big Ideas such as the Fan Zone etc My Question is how is this being paid for? And how much of an Impact will all your ideas have on the Ordinary Notts Fan's Pocket? 

And I am in Full Agreement Robbie, the Stadium and Fans Match Day Comfort should be the Top Priority, along with a decent playing Surface for Players to Show and Exhibit  their Footballing Skills.

• Like 2

@Ohh Tommy Johnson

Those questions are really good and would reveal much if they were answered.

Always wanted to know how the recruiters come to a decision on which players to approach, do they have a group of players on a shortlist, and who interviews them and makes the final decision on who to offer a contract too?

Is the Head Coach involved in all those discussions and who negotiated terms with the player or his agent?

Who decides when a players are to be released or transferred, is it the Owners, Head Coach, recruiters or a joint decision?

I can see that there will be lots of questions being asked. I wonder if they will be forthcoming with their answers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

I love the Magpie Circle and Paul Mace does a fantastic job, but he won't get some fans questions answered to their liking and that's just business for you. Football is no different, so I don't think it will be as eye-opening as the status would lead you to believe.

I am sure it will still be very interesting to listen too.

• Like 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man

@Chris

I believe the club have made two excellent statements during this last week. 

I think the club has been refreshingly forthright about their future plans regarding player recruitment, the improvements to the ground, a new fan zone, and their commercial plans to generate money.

They've also made it plain that they back Stuart Maynard.

It is really refreshing that the Club values keeping their fans in the loop and are prepared to put Palmer & Montague into a question and answer question too.

It may turn out that they can't answer every question to everyone's satisfaction, but the fact that they are going to be  there is a big positive for me.

• Like 1

Oh for sure, but my point is "No subject off limits" - it's hype.

Any difficult questions will either be ignored, or will naturally get the politician's type response which most likely will avoid the question by talking about something else. I do think it's great, but if anyone has been involved with a football club then you will know some subjects are quite safeguarded.

That's natural, and with any question we might see unsatisfactory answers given but if someone asks a good question, it should be treated with openness and honesty.

I thought Notts did well last season when they embraced the fans and were very open, but unfortunately there have been times this season when it's fallen short. When players could have been interviewed and put a message across about staying behind them. I don't understand why people complain the players don't tweet after games, but it's perfectly fine to avoid post-match interviews when we lose or draw (none are ever done when we lose).

Joe Palmer and Richard Montague have the ability to keep this in motion, with good faith and understanding - which would go down extremely well if they answered difficult questions in a straight forward manner. No diversion etc...

• Like 2

Piethagoram Yep. What usually happens in these sort of programmes the Same Old Same Old ground will be covered things will asked so has not to present the  guests with Awkward Questions they Can't or Don't want to Answer. When the Hard questions come to the surface it will be Well We've Ran Out of Time, we'd like to thank our Guests Joe Palmer and Richard Montague for their time and NOT Answering Any Questions That Notts Fans Really Want Answering. Yeah OK I Added the Last Bit. Will the Questions be written or Phoned in by Fans? If it's the latter, it will probably be and What is the Question you want to ask Joe or Richard? You tell them, and their answer will be Thankyou for your Question caller , your question is in a queue and will be answered if Time Permits. Sound Familiar?

• Like 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I can remember on the BBCs "Nationwide" current affairs programme when Maggie Thatcher was asked a question by a woman she hadn't been briefed on.

Maggie was caught unprepared and it was an embarrassing moment for her & since that moment, the politician answering the questions has always been told what the questions are or may be, & like you said, it will be no different here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

I remember that Robbie wasn't something to do with the Falklands War and the Sinking of the General Belgrano?

Yes I remember it was about the Falklands war, the controversy about the Belgrano went on for months after that question

Politicians insisted afterwards that they were briefed on what they were to be asked by members of the public on the TV or Radio.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 08:48, DangerousSausage said:

Yeah I'm not quite sure what some fans are realistically expecting from this. A lot has already been said in the statement the board put out earlier, fair enough if you don't agree with it but you're not going to get a different answer a few weeks later. And considering they themselves have admitted the season has been disappointing season, it's not been disastrous so I'm not quite sure what questions are even that tough for them to answer?

I think it'll be interesting to watch but at the same time part of me feels like I'll know some of answers they'll give. If for example they question why didn't we sign any defenders, I'm sure the answer will simply be; some of our targets weren't available/ some wanted too much money/ some signed for other clubs...

• Like 1

@menzinho I agree, I don't think we will learn much more than what we know already from both statements.

I'm sure both of them will stick to the script and ensure they don't deviate from what they wrote.

The most important thing we have learned is that they are behind Stuart Maynard, and they wanted to end any speculation about his future and they certainly have.