Match Discussion: Game 10 - The Valiants (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Sorry, but playing Crowley so deep is ridiculous, he’s having very little impact on games and he needs pushing further forward. Time after time, it was Crowley to Gordon, cross. Almost every cross was in the air and it was just one dimensional football, the one time Gordon did drag the ball across the ground, Crowley should have scored. Get Crowley further forward, playing in through balls and ghosting in at the back post, like last season.

I thought every substitution made us worse yesterday, Abbott for Tsaroulla made no sense, Scott was really poor, Martin was just plain awful, and whilst Cundy for Palmer was a last throw of the dice, it pretty much killed the game. 

The amount of crosses into the box was screaming out for us to play two strikers. Scott or Brown (or even Cundy) and a shift in formation to 532 (or 5212, or 3412, however you want to look at it), with Crowley pushed up behind the forwards and Palmer and Robbo sitting in. Jatta was totally isolated and had nothing played into his feet, he was just expected to challenge for every header, which I don’t think he is particularly good at.

Hoping Didzy is back for next week, to help unlock the Cheaterfield defence.

• Like 4
  • Surprised 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,373
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Super_Danny_Allsopp

I think 2 is very harsh on Maynard.

He played what he thought was his best eleven & you have to remember that Notts have 4 of their best players out, including their best, Jodi.

It will take a few games for the team to adjust to his loss.

With Maynard you just have to look at the bigger picture. He's sorted out the defence, which has improved immeasurably.

Apart from the one goal conceded, the defence played well & the team created chances, but we just didn't take them.

For the 10 games so far I'd rate Stuart 7.5/10

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  389
  • Days Won:  0

@Joshua Jatta did some good work. He almost scored twice and can’t be faulted for the lack of creativity behind him.

Fair play to Robbie Cundy for going up top, but he wasn’t any better than Jatta. I wouldn’t rate him because he wasn’t on long enough, but if I did, I think 4 would be about right, if not a bit harsh.

Notts didn’t play terribly. There are words on social media like ‘**nk’ being thrown around, but those seem to come from fans with unhealthy expectations.

• Like 4

Supporter+

Hey guys. We sit on 18 points one point behind leaders Walsall.

Are things that bad. I don't think so.

• Love 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

1 hour ago, Joshua said:

I think we needed a bit of magic. I thought Dan Crowley might save us, but it wasn’t to be. Port Vale aren’t better than Gillingham and aren’t as good as us as a footballing team. We did everything but score. If we’d taken one of the early chances, it might have changed things, but I still think a draw would have been fairer. There doesn’t seem to be much difference between the top half of League Two, but if we still had Macaulay Langstaff, we’d be a cut above the rest. He’s what we’re really missing, and I hope the club sees that. Jatta and David McGoldrick can score, but we can’t rely on them alone against strong defensive teams.

@Super_Danny_Allsopp Does heading the ball and making one pass really put Robbie Cundy on the same level as others? I’m not sure about that. He wasn’t nearly as good as Matt Palmer, George Abbott, Kellan Gordon, Matty Platt, and Scott Robertson.

I respect your opinion, but giving Josh Martin a 1 seems unfair and a bit biased. He did more than Cundy and just needs time and match sharpness. It was a tough game to bring him into. Cundy doesn’t deserve more than a 4.

Yeah, Cundy did alright when he came on in the position he did. The rating for doing pretty much alright is a 6, which is why he got it. Did you think he did something wrong to warrant him being knocked down to a 4?

Not sure I can be accused of being biased against Martin. It's the first time I've seen him play. Unless I have a passionate dislike for Martins. He didn't take on his man, lost the ball twice whilst doing fairly mundane tasks and generally looked pretty useless. Maybe 1 is harsh, but it wouldn't be above a 3.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Robbie said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp

I think 2 is very harsh on Maynard.

He played what he thought was his best eleven & you have to remember that Notts have 4 of their best players out, including their best, Jodi.

It will take a few games for the team to adjust to his loss.

With Maynard you just have to look at the bigger picture. He's sorted out the defence, which has improved immeasurably.

Apart from the one goal conceded, the defence played well & the team created chances, but we just didn't take them.

For the 10 games so far I'd rate Stuart 7.5/10

I don't think it is. We've played 2 decent/ steady league 2 sides at home, We've lost them both in a very similar fashion.

"He played what he thought was his best eleven" - well of course he did!!! It'd be weird if he wasn't.

He played an abundance of defensive midfielders in forward positions, while playing an attacking player deep in midfield. Resultantly, we failed to create chances. Our game plan never changed all game, swing balls into the box and it wielded almost nothing, we never changed it. 

None of the substitutes had any impact on the game.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Super_Danny_Allsopp

Notts are one point behind the league leaders. They have scored 17 & only conceded 9. 

Williams had conceded 19 goals at the same stage last season.

Have faith. Stuart will work it out. He's done quite a lot to improve  the team already. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Robbie said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp

Notts are one point behind the league leaders. They have scored 17 & only conceded 9. 

Williams had conceded 19 goals at the same stage last season.

Have faith. Stuart will work it out. He's done quite a lot to improve  the team already. 

That's all well and good if I was giving Maynard a rating for the season. 

I wasn't. It was for this one particular game.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

25 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Yeah, Cundy did alright when he came on in the position he did. The rating for doing pretty much alright is a 6, which is why he got it. Did you think he did something wrong to warrant him being knocked down to a 4?

The rating for doing arlight is a standard 6? Even though he didn't do much, it's that alone that comes across as being biased because he didn't do much at all. Nothing to leap any praise, if we voted people ratings based on being out of position so highly, for little to no involvement it just seems a bit unfair.

His presence pretty much helped Port Vale's defence, he wasn't any sort of a threat. The single pass he mase, was worse than the one Josh Martin made which didn't go to his intended target. It broke down what was a promising attack, his flicking header, someone more natural would have tried to direct towards goal, instead of back without any awareness in hope someone in our colours would get onto it. The 4, I would give him reflects being played out of position.

25 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Not sure I can be accused of being biased against Martin. It's the first time I've seen him play. Unless I have a passionate dislike for Martins. He didn't take on his man, lost the ball twice whilst doing fairly mundane tasks and generally looked pretty useless. Maybe 1 is harsh, but it wouldn't be above a 3.

I'm not suggesting you dislike Josh Martin, but he was more involved in the game. Yes, he made mistakes but he also contribute somewhat to the game. It wasn't a great performance by him, but the rating of a 2 seems way to harsh.

I would be interested to see Martin's stats from the game, as I don't think he was as bad as "2". Certainly, I wouldn't rate Cundy above him based on being played out of position.

• Like 3

Supporter+

These are the ratings for the Notts players against Vale from

whoscored.com

Screenshot_20241006-233053.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1