Our day

Supporter+

Mrs H and myself had a day off today and took ourselves up to Carsington Reservoir in Derbyshire. We walked right round, a total of 8 miles, we were rather proud of that, it was a lovely day but very windy walking over the exposed dam.

We finished the day with a nice cup of cappuccino in the visitor centre and a well deserved sit down.

Mrs H and myself had a day off today and took ourselves up to Carsington Reservoir in Derbyshire. We walked right round, a total of 8 miles, we were rather proud of that, it was a lovely day but very windy walking over the exposed dam.

We finished the day with a nice cup of cappuccino in the visitor centre and a well deserved sit down.

Sounds like a lovely day out @tonyhateley,glad you and Mrs H enjoyed it.

I wish I was fit enough to walk up and down a set of stairs without coughing my guts up, got the flu bug from hell right now. Glad you had a nice day mate

There seems to have been more bugs about this winter. @weymouthPIE.I you feel better soon. :thumbsup:

That's where they tested the 'bouncing bomb' right?

I went on several hiking trips during school and walked all around that area. Our teacher told us that if we noticed water, then we was to notify him. You know how some like to scare kids into listening. It's a nice area around there, very nice to walk. We stood on a point, very tall hill and was pointed towards 4-5 cities. The farm we stayed on was very close to Sheffield.

Supporter+

I went on several hiking trips during school and walked all around that area. Our teacher told us that if we noticed water, then we was to notify him. You know how some like to scare kids into listening. It's a nice area around there, very nice to walk. We stood on a point, very tall hill and was pointed towards 4-5 cities. The farm we stayed on was very close to Sheffield.

No @notts-joe you are thinking of Lady Bower Reservoir. I'm sure that's where they tested the bouncing bomb.

Yes Joe you went near Ladybower.

No @notts-joe you are thinking of Lady Bower Reservoir. I'm sure that's where they tested the bouncing bomb.

Very close @tonyhateley but it was Derwent dam (as well as other places). No penalty points for trying.

Supporter+

Yes Joe you went near Ladybower.

Very close @tonyhateley but it was Derwent dam (as well as other places). No penalty points for trying.

According to an article in the Derby Telegraph it was Lady Bower Reservoir, perhaps they did both. @super_ram

"In 1943, 19 bombers rehearsed using Ripley-born Barnes Wallis' bouncing bombs at Ladybower Reservoir, in the Upper Derwent Valley, before using them to destroy three German dams."

I do a lot of walking here, yet I don't get out if the city much. Only in long drives, I hear Derbyshire's one of the most untouched countryside's in the UK.

Super and me used to do a lot of walking in Derbyshire years ago.He's from Alfreton in Derbyshire and a lot of nice walks were literally almost on his doorstep.

It seems the whole of the upper Derwent Valley,that's Howden,Derwent and Ladybower dams,were used for low flying flight practice by the Dambusters.

There's a commemorative plaque on the wall and a small museum in the west tower of Derwent dam

lDambusters' Memorial Flight at Derwent Reservoir - YouTube

there were tests at all three dams for different reasons. this is one of my special subjects and have always learning about.

Barnes Wallis was born in Ripley and knew the area surrounding these dams well and wanted to use them as they were the most accurate "copies" of the Mohne, Eder and Sorpe dams in Germany.

Archived