National Football Museum

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Went to this a few days ago expecing to see a whole lot on Notts. We didn't really get a mention!

Nothing about us being the first League club in the World etc...

Only one cabinet piece and that was a funeral card that fans could buy outside the ground in the early 1900's commerating the loss of the great Notts County after a bad run of defeats.

To find anything you had to type into their interactive screen and search Notts!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I'm surprised there was nothing more on Notts, surely they should feature heavily as the original league club, we started it all for gawds sake!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

We didn't start it all, we were one of the first 12 League clubs and most of the others are still around. Of all the professional football clubs in the world, we happen to be the oldest. If Sheffield FC soared up the leagues and went fully pro, we would no longer hold that title.

That said, we played our part in creating the rules as we know them today, not least the penalty kick, and a bit more attention wouldn't go amiss!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm surprised there was nothing more on Notts, surely they should feature heavily as the original league club, we started it all for gawds sake!

A lot of memorabilia and historic items relating to Notts is actually owned by the football club, also there's a lot in private collections and places like prefer to have original pieces on display. I'm not throwing this out there as an excuse but it's part of the reason, I have heard there's little on sides like Preston and other clubs which have a good rich history.

I noticed the picture on Facebook, my first thoughts was that I'd love PON to become featured as clearly as people see the 'Pie Fanzine'.

Nice to see our friends listed within it.

We didn't start it all, we were one of the first 12 League clubs and most of the others are still around. Of all the professional football clubs in the world, we happen to be the oldest. If Sheffield FC soared up the leagues and went fully pro, we would no longer hold that title.

That said, we played our part in creating the rules as we know them today, not least the penalty kick, and a bit more attention wouldn't go amiss!

I don't believe that's technically true, we are the 'oldest professional' team.

Even if we lost the oldest 'league club' title, we would still always be respected for being professional throughout all of our existence to date.

I don't believe that's technically true, we are the 'oldest professional' team.

Even if we lost the oldest 'league club' title, we would still always be respected for being professional throughout all of our existence to date.

I disagree there, in that case Sheffield would also be professional, and older than us. Imagine you are 120 and the oldest man in Nottingham. If a 121-year-old moves there from Derby, would you still be the oldest man in Nottingham? It's unlikely to ever happen though!

Personally I think the "oldest League club in the world" label is nonsense, as the Football League only covers England and Wales and many countries don't have any kind of equivalent.

Going back on topic, it seems a lot of the club's memorabilia has gone missing over the years. I seem to remember one of the Trews commenting on how little historical memorabilia there was around the ground after they took over.

I disagree there, in that case Sheffield would also be professional, and older than us. Imagine you are 120 and the oldest man in Nottingham. If a 121-year-old moves there from Derby, would you still be the oldest man in Nottingham? It's unlikely to ever happen though!

Personally I think the "oldest League club in the world" label is nonsense, as the Football League only covers England and Wales and many countries don't have any kind of equivalent.

Going back on topic, it seems a lot of the club's memorabilia has gone missing over the years. I seem to remember one of the Trews commenting on how little historical memorabilia there was around the ground after they took over.

There's a lot on show these days around Meadow Lane, perhaps not much compared to how many years we have been going but that said, how much have we really done compared to the bigger clubs? Plus medals from ex players pop up every now or then.

Just to add, I think our history is something to proud of and many sporting clubs respectfully pay tribute to the years they have been considered professional.

We have been operating as professional for a considerable amount of time, that just doesn't get replaced.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  0

How is not being professional for 150 plus years something not to be proud of? How many times have Sheffield attempted to claim the title for themselves? Its something that we should all be proud of because its a great credit to the brand which is Notts County Football Club.

If being pro for over 100 years is not something to be celebrated, why did man united do it?

Dont disagree with all the above, it's just that as a Notts fan, it was disappointing to go the the National Museum and find it didn't have anything about notts apart form a piss take card and they were in the interactive directory along with all the other clubs. Preston were featured alot more btw. As were the redbacks!

How is not being professional for 150 plus years something not to be proud of? How many times have Sheffield attempted to claim the title for themselves? Its something that we should all be proud of because its a great credit to the brand which is Notts County Football Club.

If being pro for over 100 years is not something to be celebrated, why did man united do it?

Slow down! I was just saying that statements like "we started it all" and "we're the oldest League club" don't make a lot of sense. I'm not claiming that our history isn't something to be proud of and celebrated. I find the beginnings of the club in particular fascinating, such a shame that so much is lost in the mists of time.

I just feel that the phrase "The world's oldest professional football club" should be appearing on mugs etc., because that's what we are. But then I'm a pedant!

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

we are the oldest professional league club, i dont see why that should ever change either.

i wished notts would do more to represent our history, i have heard that the inside the the pavis stand is full of things and @notts-joe has mentioned to me in the past that there are walls covering the history in mnemonic pictures but often do we see them? i have never been inside that part of the stand and i doubt i ever will. 

I just feel that the phrase "The world's oldest professional football club" should be appearing on mugs etc., because that's what we are. But then I'm a pedant!

It's a good job you posted this here... LOL :thumbsup: ~

That's what is written on the Meadow Lane Stadium, it's included in staff members e-mails and it's something Sven felt quite passionate about. In all the times I spoke to him, which I did at quite some length - He spoke of how this is a missed opportunity for the club to bring in revenue, commercial partners etc.

I'm not sure it should be limited to mugs but I know what you mean. :devil:

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  310
  • Days Won:  0

Why don't the club try to make sure we have some representation there? You can't just blame the museum.

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

we are the oldest professional league club, i dont see why that should ever change either.

i wished notts would do more to represent our history, i have heard that the inside the the pavis stand is full of things and @notts-joe has mentioned to me in the past that there are walls covering the history in mnemonic pictures but often do we see them? i have never been inside that part of the stand and i doubt i ever will.

@liampie If you had a season ticket last season you would have been invited to a tour of the stadium, I did it with my grandson, it was very interesting but a bit embarrassing when he declared in a loud voice that the away team dressing room stinks :joker:

Kids! Who'd have 'em.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

@liampie If you had a season ticket last season you would have been invited to a tour of the stadium, I did it with my grandson, it was very interesting but a bit embarrassing when he declared in a loud voice that the away team dressing room stinks :joker:

Kids! Who'd have 'em.

Its kinda not the point, history should be on show to all.

Its kinda not the point, history should be on show to all.

In some senses I agree with @liampie. Our club should be proud of our title and have things like that around the public areas of the ground. Medal cabinets in the boardroom are pointless.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Did they not have walls with written history including us on? Things like that are easy to do and we should be featured!

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

You didn't happen to take any photos did you? I went many times to the one in Preston, before the move to Manchester and we did feature.

Not as dominantly as Forest but we still had parts within the museum.

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

There was a photo of @Blackville there at one stage, does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived