Memories of your driving test

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It's 80 years since the driving test became compulsory.

If you've taken a test did how many attempts did you take to pass? How many lessons did you have?

I passed first time but had to have lots of lessons, around 50 if memory serves me right. I had just met Mrs. H. and her last boyfriend had a car so I was determined to get one so I could taker out.

I was very nervous on my first lessons, I went to a driving school on Arkwright Street, the instructor used to take me down the Trent Embankment and even at 20 mph I was shaking like a leaf, I remember my instructor being very hard on me and telling me to get a grip on myself or I would never be able to drive.

When the day if the test finally came I was a lot more proficient although very nervous on the day, when the instructor told me I had passed I could have kissed him.

What are your memories.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I was taking lessons for about two years, I passed my test first time though. I took my test in an old diesel Ford Fiesta. When I parked it on a slope for a hill start, it crept slowly downhill despite me putting on the handbrake as far as it would go. Luckily the instructor realised it was the car and not me! I used to drive a lot, haven't driven in years now though.

There's a saying in Germany: mit dem Ford fort, mit dem Zug zurück. It means loosely, "If you go there with the Ford, you come back on the train".

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Did around 10 lessons, passed first time. Didn't come to a complete halt at a stop sign, but got away with it as the tester was a legend. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I haven't passed yet but I believe I am doing well, so it's only a matter of when now and when I do I will head here to share my account of passing. I also hope I can buy @Drivingmenotts a drink for being a fantastic driving instructor.

Obviously this would be at a Notts game. ;)

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I haven't passed yet but I believe I am doing well, so it's only a matter of when now and when I do I will head here to share my account of passing. I also hope I can buy @Drivingmenotts a drink for being a fantastic driving instructor.

Obviously this would be at a Notts game. ;)

I hope @Drivingmenotts is more patient with you than my instructor was with me 40 years ago, he didn't take any prisoners and was very critical but it was probably just what I needed to make myself "man up" and get over my nerves.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

I had been driving well before I took my test, so I found it quite easy. Things used to be more laid back than they are now, it did help having land to learn on as my parents used to own a farm.

My actual test I dont remember much of I am afraid but I did pass first time.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

Passed my test in a tank before my car test. Also have my C+E (HGV 1) and never driven one since passing the test 15 years ago

Regards Al

You Pies!

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i am still learning, im not doing lessons very regularly at the moment tho.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

I was 17 when I took my test. I had not gone far and all was well, approaching a zebra crossing at 30mph.

without looking a woman stepped on to the road where the zig zag lines were, yards away from the crossing but what seemed like inches from the car.

I stood on the brake, the car stopped and the tester banged his nose on his clip board. (didn't have a seat belt on)

I missed her, somehow  and passed the emergency stop,.but it shook me up. I carried on only to fail for not making due progress. 2 months later I passed.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

I had to take FOUR of the bastards! First time it was at like 7am and I was so nervous I ended up sleeping about an hour the night before. Second and third time I had a horrendous tester who was a spitting image of Boris Johnson and about as obnoxious. Fourth time I nailed it but yeah, I dread to think of the money I spent.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Passed the car test first time after 6 lessons, in Germany, much easier... no roundabouts to contend with.

Passed HGV test first time after a week training, and then looked to do HGV class 1 passed that on the third attempt, how can they fail you for the fact your instructors truck had a fault... grrrrr.

Archived