Goal Line Technology

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I see that the Premiership is going to get goal line technology next season, they are utilising the Hawkeye system that is used in tennis.

Good thing or bad thing? Discuss.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Good if it's used in the right way, though I think we need more than just goal line technology. We need replays like in rugby, it just needs handling properly and respective of situations which may arise from what. Would make lifes easier for the officials and may actually speed the game up imo :) 

• Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

needs to be outlined before hand and they need to collect opinions not just from those involved but fans too.

im not sure, think it could be mishandled.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

A step in the right direction,hopefully. I read somewhere last week ,on teletext I think ,that FIFA had opted for a diiferent option. I was hoping for Hawkeye the same as the F.A.. Suppose there will now be arguments about which format to use. :cry:

A step in the right direction,hopefully. I read somewhere last week ,on teletext I think ,that FIFA had opted for a diiferent option. I was hoping for Hawkeye the same as the F.A.. Suppose there will now be arguments about which format to use. :cry:

Most likely a stalling tactic, then somewhere like Spain will use it and then it's quickly accepted elsewhere.

I read about it on tv text last week but forgot next next morning.

It worries me a bit because there was a lot  (mainly foreign) of opposition to it and now, all of a sudden it's to be used. Maybe it's just my suspicious dislike of Blatter and Platini.

I read about it on tv text last week but forgot next next morning.

It worries me a bit because there was a lot  (mainly foreign) of opposition to it and now, all of a sudden it's to be used. Maybe it's just my suspicious dislike of Blatter and Platini.

The Chuckle Brothers know more about football than they do, I wouldn't expect for them to pass it until another country does. (hence why I thin they'll stall) Most likely enforce the other rule and out F.A will crumble so our teams can play in Europe.

Rotherham United is also bigger than the board of FIFA directors, more reputable too. LOL

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It just worries me how much it will disrupt games, we have enought stoppages for fouls, injury feigning etc., it is a different game to tennis and should flow more with a good ref.

Also how far do we take it, what is the next step? Video replays of fouls by an unseen official who contacts the ref and says "that was a foul, give a free kick". Penalty decisions, video replays showing when contact was made or whether it was a dive.

A lot of the refs decisions have a huge impact, sometimes it can affect whether clubs stay up or go down and the financial implications from that are immense in the Premiership, it can affects manager's careers etc. so it is important that the ref is spot on with his decisions and technology can help but at what cost to a free flowing game?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

It is a good thing if it gets used properly, it will hopefully stop all the goal arguments.. if its gone in or not.

If its not used properly though it will just waste time.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  1

i think it is a good idea. it is needed definitely  we need a lot more of this in sport. a lot of footballers now aren't honest plus some cannot see if it is over the lines. so im looking forward to this improvement

I think most of the problems lie with the lines men(assistant refs as they are now) not noticing if its gone past the line or not and the ref doing the same. They can be very biased and nothings ever done about some teams getting away with things others never do.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

Examples should be made of other sports, the likes of Rugby, Cricket and even Ice Hockey.

I have to say, I am not solely for this because as others already have mentioned, there's often mistakes which occur when we make alterations. I don't know if we would manage to still make the right decisions, unless we look to sort out other areas. The ball crossing the line is a small part of the things which go wrong in my opinion.

Fouls and diving are more of a problem than this, but that isn't easily sorted unless we get less biased refs or a few more types of assistants to see them because they will always be missed with one ref (whos not always paying attention to all areas) and lines men/assistant refs.

There is a  solution .If a referee definately thinks a player has dived, then book him. I f he is not sure  then make it clear to all players that the next time it happens he may not be so lenient. If players don't retreat to where the ref wants them to line up,  book all the players involved. A little common sense by referees would go a long way. Unfortunately there are a lot of players that try to take advantage in certain situations and , to be fair to officials, it's not easy when the action is very fast.

Very often ,on TV, it still remains unclear exactly what has happened, even with numerous replays from different angles.As I say,a bit of common sense AND more consistency.

Yeah i see both sides of that too, but the refs can be very lenient at times and completely the opposite too, thats where the players see what they can get away with. Its abit like comparing it to a teacher controlling teenagers in school without many punishments and varied boundaries.

As I said, common sense! To be fair to referees and linesmen(yes LINESMEN not referees assistants) the game today  is played at such a pace that it is very, very difficult to make a spot decision. There is an enormous amount of pressure on the officials to make the right decision. Some players do not help with their theatrical behaviour. Managers do not help with their after match  comments,  often blaming the referee. I admit that i have come home from a match  calling a referee and then changed my mind after seeing the same match on TV,  with the benefit of replays. More often than not though my original opinion has been correct..In my opinion though , referees don't help themselves. They very often seem to be biased in their decisions, letting some 'fouls 'go but giving others , with no consistency.

If they were fair i don't think fans would mind the odd mistake, its when they are clearly unfair thats the main problem

I think had you seen the ref at Doncaster, you would feel how Notts fans do. The referee's are very inconsistent, yet it were nice to see Mrs Trew wagging her finger and shouting 'come on' etc. Great backing back the fans, as the ref made some very favourable decisions which need kicking out of the game.

Archived