o/t Spring Equinox

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

With 2 more days still to go to the Spring Equinox, the sun has now returned to the North Pole for 6 months of constant sunshine.

What will the sun reveal?.......over 1,295,000 sq km of sea ice is missing from the average!......1.295 MILLION.

This figure is quite simply stunning, and on the Climate Change forum that I frequent, scientists are frantically reaching for their calculators to work out how much EXTRA heat will now be absorbed into northern seas.....quite simply, ice reflects the suns rays whereas blue/green water absorbs it.

So we now have a rapidly warming world where the IPCC targets of 1.5 to 2 degrees of warming will be smashed within 20 years instead of 80 years.....and now we have the Arctic literally baking in sunshine.

.....and the UK is to increase the price of Solar panels by moving the VAT from 5% to 20%......absolute madness.

Unfortunately the West don't seem to care, "I'm alright Jack" appears to be the mantra.....meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people surviving in marginal land in Africa and Asia will starve this year....we could have sorted out this problem 30 years ago......maybe we will finally do something, especially when they all try to get to Europe!!

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

• 2 weeks later...

The start of spring in the Arctic......ice has peaked at 12,921,232 sq km and preliminary calculations to be released by NOA on Thursday show a loss of 104,900 in one day.

Will we ever get down to zero in my lifetime?.......the lowest on record was 2,244,440 on day 260 of 2012.

One thing is for sure, when it finally happens, not if, there is a good chance that huge areas of Nottinghamshire, even possibly Meadow Lane, will be under water!!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

so much for being echo friendly, 5% to 20% is a joke.

I have read two separate reports this morning, on how to slow down the expected sea-level rise.

Both seem like science fiction....or maybe not?

Both involve pumping sea water onto land!! .....the first is up onto the Antarctic Plateau and the second is to do the same thing into the interior of Alaska.

The Alaskan plan already has the infrastructure in place....ie the Alaskan oil pipelines.

These will no longer be needed once the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) is phased out, and can then be used to pump sea water.

BMW have already announced plans to increase production of electric cars with substantial new investment in their plants in Leipzig and Dingolfing, with broad hints that they MAY cease production of ICE cars within 10 years.....mmmmmm

The world has become a strange place.

9 minutes ago, liampie said:

so much for being echo friendly, 5% to 20% is a joke.

Did you say that twice?

The problem with the West, is that it's governments need to get elected for short periods of time, 4 years on average.....and it's not sexy or vote-catching to tackle Climate Change.

Changing people's habits or extra taxes don't win votes.....governments just "kick the can" further down the street and let future governments sort out the mess.

We now know with 100% certainty that the Earth's climate is changing....fast.

Take the flooding in Cumbria as a classic example....the governments know that the odds of this repeating itself are increasing every year, yet they actually CUT funding until there is a disaster....why did they build the Thames Flood Barrier?

Because all the reports said that London would flood more often every year....it was used once in it's first year....and only 4 times in 7 years.......how many times in the year 2014.......50 TIMES....wow....they say the barrier will suffice until 2070......anybody want to put money on it?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Unfortunately the powers that be won't give a hoot until the water is lapping at our feet. One oil company invested huge amounts in researching electric vehicles back in the 80s, but when they decided it wouldn't be profitable they hid the findings away, protected by security guards. There's an awful lot of knowledge that could be useful today that is under lock and key. Electric vehicles are only now coming into fashion as a result of oil price increases and "green" subsidies, but it's not because of the auto manufacturers' commitment to the environment. The internal combustion engine should have become a thing of the past decades ago.

The story about the Arctic ice is genuinely scary. What kind of a world are we leaving for future generations? And more importantly, how many matches will end up being called off due to a waterlogged pitch?

I genuinely fear for the future and have taken steps to protect myself.

Even learning how to grow food in the harshest of conditions, learning HugelKultur, the soil food web, grafting trees, taking tree cuttings, examining which crops grow when and where, researching "lost" foods like Hopi Corn......learning to live by the cycle of the sun and the seasons, not by a clock.

I have my own animals and taught myself, via Youtube how to butcher, skin and cook various animals.....even wild animals I can trap.

I converted my 50,000 gallon swimming pool into a fish pond.....I am serious!

I remember my first two baby chickens, I had never even had a dog before let alone chickens, sheep or goats.

Now, when I need fresh meat, I wander out to the chicken coop with an axe and a sharp knife.....and my kitchen table has 30 fresh eggs on it, marked in pencil with the date collected.

The first time I ate a piece of my own 90 day-old chicken...I was astonished, it didn't taste like chicken.

I remember looking down at the piece of breast I was eating and trying to figure out why it tasted so "different".....the same with fresh eggs and yesterday a fresh tomato straight off the vine.....your taste buds simply don't register these things as what your memory remembers them as.

Once upon a time, everyone knew how to do all these things, or lived in small communities where there was a baker, a butcher....a candlestick maker.

Now, nobody knows anything....except where the nearest ASDA is located......what happens when the supply of corn or maize dries up and the price of a loaf of bread is £10?

What happens when the marginal lands of the SAHEL, the middle-east, Pakistan and India become deserts due to the spread of drought in the ICTZ, all broadly on the 30 degree latitudes?....you think a few million Syrians on the march was a problem......wait until there is 30 million more displaced peoples joining them.....Turkey won't protect Europe no matter how many billions of FIAT currency you bribe them with.

I am uploading another English Guy in Mexico video now to Youtube.....yesterday I got my first thunderstorm.....you can clearly hear the joy and excitement in my voice.

All I seem to say on the audio is "wow, oh wow"....and laughing....I sound crazy I know.....maybe I am?

Have I turned Primal in my old age.....returning to my roots as a caveman....remembering all the things that I thought was lost, lingering memories from my DNA?

I know I love to sit alone watching the sun set over the mountains......and pray to some lost gods that it rises again tomorrow.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

2 hours ago, tarquinbeech said:

Have I turned Primal in my old age.....returning to my roots as a caveman....

I don't think so tarquin, otherwise you'd be a Mansfield fan.

The joy of seeing rain......millions in the world rely on the same thing.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

I believe in what many scientists are saying, it is now a race between humanity creating the technology required to leave Earth and humanity destroying the Earth.

Humanity destroying the Earth seems to be in the lead at the moment.

6 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I believe in what many scientists are saying, it is now a race between humanity creating the technology required to leave Earth and humanity destroying the Earth.

The numbers coming out of the Climate Change Forum........are staggering.

The lowest Arctic Ice Sheet ever......and has just dropped by 300,000 sq km over the last 3 days.

I sense a lot of the serious guys on there have given up? (one of them has moved from the US to Austria).......it's a bit like supporting Notts.......you can go on banging your head against a wall for only so long?......people don't listen unless a personal disaster hits them.

I noticed last night that Sky News was running a piece about Sea Level Rise..............do me a sodding favour.....I have been screaming about SLR for so long that I am hoarse......that is why I live at 5,000 feet above sea level

I am just about to butcher my first 40kg sheep.....I am not particularly happy about it (I am sure that Adam isn't either)......but I need to start practising......the end is coming....fast!

I intend to be the last man standing.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I watched a documentary where a team of scientists believe at the worst we will see 3 months of serve weather, once it ends the planet will re-heal.

They believe England would then have tropical weather, Australia and USA would freeze.

Central Europe would become like Africa.

The best place to live would be Asia which surprised me, supposedly we are not that far away from earths slates rapidly changing.

2 hours ago, notts-joe said:

I watched a documentary where a team of scientists believe at the worst we will see 3 months of serve weather, once it ends the planet will re-heal.

They believe England would then have tropical weather, Australia and USA would freeze.

Central Europe would become like Africa.

The best place to live would be Asia which surprised me, supposedly we are not that far away from earths slates rapidly changing.

The earth is changing fairly quickly......the desert zones (all roughly 30 degrees north and south of the equator) expand by roughly 10km per year ie 100km per decade .........North Africa was once the "bread-basket" of the Roman Empire for example...........but we can still probably adapt to this change by just moving more immigrants into Europe.

The problem gets much worse if we reach a "tipping point" ie the Arctic stops freezing......nobody really knows what would happen then.

We know that world weather patterns would change dramatically.....but nobody is really sure how?

We know that storms will get more intense, and more frequent as the world temperature imbalances will literally zoom around the globe trying to reach "neutral"....that is what storms are basically......storms carry moisture...but to where and how fast?

• 1 month later...

On 4/1/2016 at 19:41, tarquinbeech said:

The earth is changing fairly quickly......the desert zones (all roughly 30 degrees north and south of the equator) expand by roughly 10km per year ie 100km per decade .........North Africa was once the "bread-basket" of the Roman Empire for example...........but we can still probably adapt to this change by just moving more immigrants into Europe.

The problem gets much worse if we reach a "tipping point" ie the Arctic stops freezing......nobody really knows what would happen then.

We know that world weather patterns would change dramatically.....but nobody is really sure how?

We know that storms will get more intense, and more frequent as the world temperature imbalances will literally zoom around the globe trying to reach "neutral"....that is what storms are basically......storms carry moisture...but to where and how fast?

I hate to say "I told you so", but the May 1st situation on Arctic Sea Ice (interactive graph attached) is literally incredible.....May 1st is an important date in as much as the Arctic is now in "full melt" mode, having had it's first full month of sunshine, and we all know that World temps are rising rapidly.

https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/vishop-extent.html

By hovering the mouse over the red line May 1st date we find this....1980s average 13.97 million, falling to 13.48 in the 1990s and 13.1 in the 2000s.......and today 2016??

12.195......that is literally stunning........12.2 million is a loss of 1.8 million just since my first child was born and almost 1 million ahead of the record low year of 2012!!

The whole point is that THERE IS ONLY BETWEEN 3 AND 4 MILLION SQ MILES OF ICE LEFT AT THE END OF THE SEASON!!

ie......we only have between 3 and 4 million to "play with" before we are ice-free in the Summer......big business are literally wetting their pants at the thought of all the money they can save by sending World Shipping by a faster route to Asia

It looks like we didn't need the Suez Canal after all.

On this German colour-coded  map of the Arctic, you can zoom in to see the ice thicknesses.....updated daily at 6am your time.

http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsr2/arctic_AMSR2_nic.png

Archived