Next BBC Radio Nottingham Notts County commentator?

Joe Jones

So yesterday we were faced with the news that Colin Slater would be stepping down from doing Notts County match commentary on BBC Radio Nottingham.

As much of a bombshell as it is, the show must go on, and someone needs to step up to the plate and take over Magpie commentating duties starting next season.

In your opinion, who should it be? Let PON know.

I would go for Dean Yates, him and Mark Stallard would be awesome but I suspect it will be someone internally promoted. Ideally, someone who knows and follows Notts would be great. I would also bet Colin Slater provides a lot of the stats before hand.

Commentary is a bit more than say chipping in with valued analysis in my opinion , so we need someone who can deliver , accurate running verse on what's going on , who can feel the excitement and enhance the spoken word to match that , who has insight into tactics being employed , passionate about all things Notts , you want to be enthralled by and made to feel you are there and not just listening , it's a difficult position to fill . Let's hope for a good character.

37 minutes ago, Who r ya?? You Pies!! said:

Commentary is a bit more than say chipping in with valued analysis in my opinion , so we need someone who can deliver , accurate running verse on what's going on , who can feel the excitement and enhance the spoken word to match that , who has insight into tactics being employed , passionate about all things Notts , you want to be enthralled by and made to feel you are there and not just listening , it's a difficult position to fill . Let's hope for a good character.

I agree with that, football commentary is a skilled profession where your main duty is to accurately convey what is happening on the pitch, but when it is for a low level local club you ideally need to have a slight partisan attitude, which isn't  an easy balance to strike.  Can't say I'm in favour of a former player stepping up to the main role, they are good for occasional comments but I doubt they would be up to the 90 minutes job.  Colin was definitely old school, I can't suggest any names for his replacement, but it will be interesting to hear who follows.

@Melikepie I seem to think that Andrew James used to do commentaries for Radio Nottingham many years ago, may have been for Rushcliffe Rovers?

Personally, I would like David Jackson to do it. He has commentated on a couple of Notts games in the last 2/3 years and I actually found that I could follow what was happening on the pitch. Plus whenever he commentates, we win 3-2! :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Fozzy said:

@ohstanleyaborah No, Colin Fray is the Forest commentator, David Jackson does a lot of presenting, but no real commentaries. I think he used to cover Mansfield before Charlie.

Spot on.

Charlie has been doing Match Talk a lot hasn't he? Could this be the reason why David hasn't? It's all second guessing now, though David would be a good call.

Archived