Would Craig Mackail-Smith be a good signing for Notts County?

Joe Jones

Football League World (click here for link) have speculated about Craig Mackail-Smith being a potentially good signing for Notts. Here's what they say:

"One problem this season, that Nolan will be looking to address in the summer was the lack of goals that the team scored, as they only found the goal 54 occasions, which if they are to be pushing towards the promotion places they are going to need to dramatically improve upon.

"One player that could bring goals to the team is experienced striker Craig Mackail-Smith, who is set to be released by his current side Luton Town.

"The 33-year-old has good Football League pedigree having played for Peterborough, Brighton and Luton Town respectively.

"Having scored over 140 career goals, Mackail-Smith certainly has an eye for goal, and having won promotion with Peterborough he is somebody who knows what it takes to get out of League Two, and could be somebody that helps Notts County push on up the table."

What do you reckon? Would he be a good signing?

He's never really impressed me when I've seen him play.

When I frequently scanned other clubs highlights, he just looked a vast different player from his Championship days - that said we really don't know how he would settle in Notts. If there's any serious interest I would have faith in Kevin Nolan to judge. He could be similar to Shola Ameobi and be a great blessing, or he may turn out like many others have be another Ben Burgess.

No, we don't need another old man striker as he will just be coming for the pay check. He just hasn't been the same player since rupturing his Achilles a few years back. If Ameobi signs, we need a younger pacier striker to play alongside him as that is what our squad is missing. Nolan appears to want to play a more expansive passing game next season and we will need a lot more pace throughout the side to achieve this.

Archived