should we play lewis alessandra as a striker?

liampie

Its an option, though it would honestly make more sense to give Forte and Saunders more of a chance.

If we require a change to the flank(s), I wouldn't be as comfortable seeing someone else play there. I think Robert Milsom can play on the wing (as in he can do well) but that could change the dynamics of the team. I don't think it's wise to change too much, as Alessandra needs to settle on the wing for me.

Suppose it depends what formation Kev wants to go for. If he switches to something like a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 where the wide players adopt more of a striking role then yeah, Alessandra could compose part of the attacking trident. If we're sticking with 4-4-2 then he should continue on the wing, wouldn't send out a very good message if the current strikers (namely Forte and Saunders) aren't given a chance if Stead and Ameobi lose form or get injured/suspended, and find themselves shunted for a makeshift player in their position.

11 minutes ago, TheSkipper said:

No, we have options upfront as already suggested.

The problem for me is getting the ball into goal scoring positions but we can score so its not so much of an issue.  

i think it would be worth trying personally.

1 minute ago, Fozzy said:

I'm still waiting to see if they can find some before they lose it! :rolleyes:

That's pretty harsh on Ameobi Fozzy!

He's done a lot of ground work, and for me deserves a goal. I'd say his performances are also pretty consistent unlike his striker partner. ;) 

He's clearly a versatile player and we don't have a lot of strength in depth up front, so why not? He could offer something different there. Obviously it's too early to judge whether he's better than our existing options there.

Looking on Transfermarkt he's played either as a striker or just behind the striker for a good part of his career - 86 times, scoring 27 goals and weighing in with 13 assists. So that's a goal or an assist almost in every second match - not shabby at all, especially when you consider that the 86 appearances also include substitute appearances.

17 hours ago, Joe Jones said:

Suppose it depends what formation Kev wants to go for. If he switches to something like a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 where the wide players adopt more of a striking role then yeah, Alessandra could compose part of the attacking trident. If we're sticking with 4-4-2 then he should continue on the wing, wouldn't send out a very good message if the current strikers (namely Forte and Saunders) aren't given a chance if Stead and Ameobi lose form or get injured/suspended, and find themselves shunted for a makeshift player in their position.

I was thinking about formations too. I'm a bit of a fan of the 4-2-3-1 providing you've got the wide players and the striker to fit it - it provides plenty of protection to the defence while allowing you to dominate in midfield. Then we could have a defensive midfield duo of Milsom and Hewitt. Grant would be perfect in the more advanced midfield role. You need a striker who can play with his back to goal and bring others into the game - Stead and Ameobi are both ideal. And then you need wide players who can cover plenty of ground and like to cut inside to support Stead or Ameobi up front when we're in possession - Hawkridge and Alessandro are the obvious choices, but Forte could fit this role too (as opposed to playing as an out-and-out winger, which doesn't suit him).

Come to think of it, this would suit our team better than leaving a good defensive midfielder (Milsom) on the bench to accommodate a second striker who's hardly in the game. Gizza job Notts!

Archived