Are we stronger now that the transfer window is over?

Chris

Has the Notts signings from the January transfer window made the club stronger?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are we stronger now that the transfer window is over?

• Absoutely, each signing has improved the squad overall
    • It's a little early, but the signs are promising
    • We are about the same in my opinion
    • No, we are weaker than before January

I'm expecting this to be fairly straight forward, yet I know there's a lot of split opinions about if we have 'strengthened' or not in terms of the players brought into the club during the January transfer window. It's my hope that an early assessment will enable us to see what might have changed and, what the current thoughts are since the excellent performance over Crewe.

Personally, the deadline day signings made me happy - people have naturally questioned Bennett but he looks comfortable in this league and I always felt his pace would be an asset.

Hall will probably be a backup player, so until we see him play - we'll not really know if he adds much weight to the back but on paper it's a decent addition.

Noble, Virtue and Husin fills the void and improves the squad a fair bit.

That said, I'm personally not sure where Virtue would fit into the squad considering the current form and I think he could become a impact player from the bench - as I can't see him starting really.

We do look much more stronger in my opinion. What about you?

I think there are good signs that Husin can replace Yates. Noble and Virtue add strength in depth, but with Milsom, Walker and O’Connor on his way back not really sure it is needed.  Hall is a straight swap with Hollis as back up. I think the key player re whether we are stronger will be Bennett. Our attack lacked pace and he provides another dimension. I personally would start him with Shola because I think Shola’s ability to hold the ball,  awareness and distribution are far better than Stead’s. If Bennett becomes a starter and is a success then we will be stronger. 

its a little early to say but i think the signs are more promising then they are not. 4 4 2 suites notts and we have improved since ditching the 5 in midfield. i think the inclusion of bennett a little more and things will improve further.

Had my rant about this on another thread, but I will add that a return to 442 and the promise that Husin is showing is good.

As a Squad, we are stronger.

First XI, we are still a little weaker. Mainly because of Yates, but also missing Tootle badly and can't wait for him to get back.

Noble, Virtue, Bennett, Hall could not get in the starting XI for the weekend, only Husin and that is because of a natural position being available. I think Bennett will push for a place though.

Nice to see Milsom back as well, the only other player we have that can get near to doing Yates/Hewitt's job in midfield.

CM:

Some seem to forget that Yates could barely pass to a fellow 'Pie in his first few games, and that his passing, whilst improving, was probably below that of even Hewitt. The strength of Yates was his ability to get about the pitch and break play up, which he did well.

Husin, from what we've seen of him so far, is a better technical footballer. I think he will need to work on his closing down and rough and tumble tackling, but so far the signs are promising. Noble is very good backup and can come on and thread some lovely balls, but has the habit of going missing.

For me, Virtue is not a backup for Hewitt. We have missed Hewitt when he's played out of position or injured/ill, and this is because as yet Virtue is not up to the same level, and Noble doesn't provide that type of play. I'm not really sure why we have Virtue, he doesn't seem to be an improvement of what we've already got, and of CMs, we have plenty. 

CB:

We let go of Hollis, who was a known quantity, and we've brought in a loanee, who is somewhat an unknown, so it is hard to judge. Hopefully this lad is seen as an actual backup to CB, as Hollis was only going to be used if 2 or more of Hewitt, Duffy or Brisley were unavailable. 

ST:

Far too early to judge Bennett, but from what we've seen so far, it looks like a positive signing.

I feel a bit for Forte, because the tactics have now changed slightly which would be more adapted to his game. Our 'before January' tactics were hoof it long to Ameobi and Stead, try and get the 2nd ball, and if not, let the hounds of Yates and Hewitt track them down to try and win the ball back again. 

Now we have Husin and players like Noble, we are much more well equipped to string a number of good passes together and unlock the defence on the floor, something that Forte could have contributed to this. However, even though we've seen little of Bennett, he looks like he could be a better player than Forte. 

Other Positions:

Like most L2 teams, take away a couple of our normal starting 11 and we'll be OK, any more than that, you see the lack of strength in depth. Hunt is slow and perhaps a bit past it, Dickinson is slow and perhaps never had it, combine them with slow CBs and you will get torn apart by a pacey attack (see Swansea). Also, take away a midfield battler like Hewitt, and I don't see anyone in the squad that can replace him. 

Also injuries to Stead and Ameobi at a similar time would cause us plenty of problems. 

husin looks like a player that will improve the more he plays, his goals are far better than any yates scored and there is chance he could be more influential.

we need to unearth someone like husin upfront, someone with pace, strength and an eye for goal. 

Archived