does the early signings take any pressure off kevin nolan?

liampie

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

at the start of the pre season things tend to be quite slow on the signing front but this time round we have flown in with a amazing start to the transfer business. i am just wondering does the early signings take any of the pressure off kevin nolan?

i mean it would seem we have picked the positions which are vital to be filled and ones which free transfers are probably much harder to sort out at any stage of the transfer window. the fact the club has signed players for fees also speaks volumes and i think it would take some of the stress off kevin. the signings such as dennis, hemmings and kellett should attract other players, so again it seems very important that the club did get off to a good start.

what is your views on this? does the early signings take any pressure off kevin nolan?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

No not at all, although they are quality we still have work to do. We go on about this "journey" to the championship but with a 3 or 4 year plan in place we now go into the second year needed a result. There is only so much time you can have with players like Dennis and Hemmings before money starts to run out. This may seem like glass half empty but its the truth. It seems like were taking a gamble with money this year so for me next season is now or never for promotion. Most money the club has had pumped into for a long time and its only a matter of time before it runs out if we continue to sit in League Two. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I would say it does take some of the pressure off, as we no longer need two strikers who can get us those important goals in order to chase us promotion.

It's also a two sided coin situation and, Sam makes a very valid point regarding what budget we have remaining. Yet, I feel the midfield is pretty blessed and we could unburden ourselves by smart use of the loan market.

We could also use certain areas to give youngsters a chance, players like Sam Osborne could finally come in and get some game time (if the position hasn't been filled).

Overall I do see what Liam means, there's certainly less pressure due to the good start but this is something which needs to continue. It's vital we get another winger and a backup keeper, whilst the defence really does need strengthening. If we don't sign some solid defenders, or a backup keeper this will greatly reduce the positive start I feel - as it may lead to panic buying, inexperienced signings or just weak options coming in.

It's a good start, yet Kevin Nolan needs to build on this. COYP!!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

40 minutes ago, samwatto2008 said:

It seems like were taking a gamble with money this year so for me next season is now or never for promotion. Most money the club has had pumped into for a long time and its only a matter of time before it runs out if we continue to sit in League Two.

Yeah, promotion this season is very important because its only a matter of time before League Two becomes as difficult as it is to gain promotion from League One with all the various teams being relegated.

Alan Hardy won't have a continuous pit of money to pour into the club, but I feel he's doing all the right things so far.

Don't forget that a lot of money did go into the squad that Ricardo Moniz built, so we do have to be careful about wasting it but I think Kevin Nolan is going about the recruitment well so far, and having the task of not chasing strikers which has been our downfall for quite a few seasons does take a lot of pressure of him.

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

there are only a few key positions which need filling now imo, so surely this takes pressure off the club to find players who suite our style of play?

the problem with free transfers is that most end up going to whoever pays more or are local to where they live, so this makes it hard and quite time consuming to chase players worth negotiating with. i think our budget should stretch enough to sign some more quality players, yet i think the younger ones that may come in will fill the gap that it leaves.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

If anything I feel it will only add to the pressure and expectancy from the fans, we are all expecting quality signings now as our expectation levels have increased. Along with the talk of going for promotion, any underwhelming signings could possibly dampen the mood.

The recruitment seems to be going quite merry at the moment and I wonder what quality remains out there on a free.

I don't want Nolan to overspend and use all of the budget signing players for six figure fees, only for things to then fail and besides we need to keep a good portion available for January. This is all speculation talk but there are some interesting opinions in this thread.

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I agree that the pressure will be off Nolan and also Hardy, how many seasons have we been waiting for signings, any signings let alone good signings like we’ve made so far, the fans normally start getting restless when they see all the good players getting snapped up, this year we are the ones snapping up the good players. 

However I agree that it’s important we go up this time after the money that’s been spent.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The main thing is to build a solid squad, some of the signings like Crawford and Patchings seem to be a little risky in terms of if they can handle or apply their ability well within League Two.

Provided we are able to acquire a little more quality, especially in defence we will be in a better standing.

There's only pressure to fill certain positions and, I wouldn't imagine Nolan would be thinking of anything different - bar wanting to ensure he has the best possible squad at his disposal. This would suggest to me that there's far less pressure than previous seasons, after all Hardy mentioned during the latter stages of last season how we missed out on targets and we only snapped up Bennett on the deadline day.

Pressure seems off to me, I think we can relax a little.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

To be fair I don’t think he was under pressure .. after last season I think they had a plan just in case promotion didn’t happen. But it’s geeat to see County coming out the blocks fast interns of signings.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

@Magic magpie pressure from signings, not his head.

I think once Michael O'Connor's future is known, it would sway my opinion more towards saying that the signings does free up pressure. It will give the club more time to prepare game plans and enjoying the pre season. Football is a business which never sleeps, so onwards and upwards.

• Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

@BromPie it could become his head if he don’t sign the right players .. and don’t do well... but I think O’Connor is a big part of next seaso 

• Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

The signings so far does take the pressure off the recruitment I feel, Nolan's made a brilliant start and I would hope the next lot of players are in talks. It is nice to have things sorted, the signing of Hemmings and Dennis does give us a lot to be optimistic about.

Archived