The best and worst you've ever seen Notts play?

ARLukomski

The worst was probably one of Jamie Fullarton's games where Notts didn't attack, they struggled to defend but I have removed this from my memory. I do know its the worst I have seen and Steve Chettle came close with his 3 man attacking tatctics.

No idea on the score, I think it might have been 3-0. I have wiped it from my memory though, I don't even know who we played! 🤣

--

Best has me struggling, I will have a think.

It could be a save punt to say the League Cup game against Forest.

Rather than a catalogue of wonderful Notts performances, it seems far easier to recall games in which we have been poor but I guess that's why, overall, we're in Division Four.

Personally, the yardstick for the most depressingly woeful Notts performance shall forever be the five-nil pasting that Macclesfield Town dished out to us, at home, on a cold January night in 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_3/4197571.stm

That said, I thought Yeovil Town's visit just this August was getting frightfully close to a complete and utter shambles. I'm still convinced that some of our back-four would have failed a breathalysing test that night.

For the best Notts performances, I find I have to think for longer.

In recent times, last season's First Round FA Cup win at home to Bristol Rovers, after having quickly been two-nil down, stands out.

I think I have to consider some great victories under Mickey Walker, '93/'94 season, when we virtually beat everyone at home, including dismantling both Derby County and Leicester City 4-1, as well as beating our city neighbours.

I seem to remember some great Notts performances from the late 70s and early 80s, but my memory is too sketchy to remember one specifically and also the two play off wins are particularly special. I would possibly plump for for Mick Walker's first home game in 93 against Tranmere, a 5-1 thumping of them and a totally different brand of football compared to the dross that had been served up previously that season.

As for worst, any number of the games played during the trust years could qualify along with some of the terrible football played during that Sheridan run, but would probably agree with @Piethagorasthat the 5-0 thrashing at home by the mighty Macclesfield is a particular low point.

On 19/12/2018 at 15:05, Fozzy said:

As for worst, any number of the games played during the trust years could qualify along with some of the terrible football played during that Sheridan run, but would probably agree with @Piethagorasthat the 5-0 thrashing at home by the mighty Macclesfield is a particular low point.

I hope Notts get some revenge for you on Boxing Day

Archived