Computer and retro gaming enthusiasts?

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Does any other members here have any interests in computers, or retro games?

It's been good to see retro consoles released with classic titles, such as the Mega Drive and Nintendo 64. I'm also an advocate for Arc and RetroPie.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

no not really, i bought a components to build my own desktop but found it more complicated than it looks. i had to get a friend and @CliftonMagpie to help put it together.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

Enthusiast wouldn't describe me but I am capable of following instructions when it comes to assembling and building a computer.  I'm not a huge fan of retro games either, or current ones.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

I was fortunate enough to remember the Sinclair ZX80 and grew up during the golden age of home computing. Commodore Vic 20 & 64, Sinclair Spectrum, Acorn BBC, Atari ST and then probably the best home computer ever invented in the Commodore Amiga with its O/S, graphics and sound capabilities (although the Acorn Archimedes was some machine and was well before its time for desktop and Office application experience). The UK computer scene was pretty amazing back in the early 80s, I even remember the long forgotten Dragon and Oric computer brands that sprung up and then disappeared.

Consoles ruined it a bit to be honest although I did really like the original Playstation, I guess their popularity came from just being pure gaming machines and quick load times.

Favourite Games ever? Gauntlet 2, Manic Miner and Final Fantasy 7 (shows my age even more!).

I suppose I must have enjoyed computers as I made a career out of them.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I grew up with those games! I started with a Sinclair Spectrum, and moved on to a Sega Mega Drive. The latter was probably my favourite console - as it was on the market a long time, the developers really got the best out of it, and there were such a lot of fantastic games out there. With subsequent consoles I feel the focus shifted too far away from gameplay in favour of creating a 3D experience. But later I got a Wii and me and the missus played it to death.

Now I own a laptop with a few games on it, but I'm toying with the idea of getting a PlayStation to entertain me over the winter. Right now I've got a laptop with several strategy games and RPGs - Civilization and the like. I downloaded Crusader Kings 2 a few weeks ago, but I've already collapsed several empires and it's going right over my head...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

The only older game I still play is Age of Empires 2. It's 20 years old now, but still has a massive following. They recently upgraded the graphics and re-released it, not got round to buying that yet though!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The start of actual 8bit consoles, to 16 and then the 32bit race.

Playstations and Xbox's wouldn't be the same without mega drive, Nintendo etc.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I built my sons gaming PC from the ground up, I picked each part from the case to the motherboard to get him the best performance for the money he had. His PC is very powerful, which is good for a budget build. It took him his birthday and, part of one Christmas to collect the parts required so it also taught him a thing or two.

Raspberry Pie's are something I find interesting, as a single board computer they're pushing the boundaries and, showing just how small things can be reduced.

The fact they've now managed to get WIndows 10 home edition installed, it's nothing short of amazing. Linux is also something worth looking into, as it seems this will be the path that Windows goes down with their own OS.

I also enjoy coding, it's something that I would consider myself to be an enthusiast with.

Retro gaming is incredibly enjoyable, I haven't tinkered with it much but I do like the idea of having a small desktop that has all the old consoles packed into it. I still have a lot of original titles from various ones I played with my brother growing up. I love many PS X titles. Vandal Hearts is something I have emulated on my old laptop.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I like playing PS x and II games, but before that it doesn't really interest me.

Archived