Match Discussion: Game 12 - The Hatters (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

Game 12 - The Hatters (H)

Team: Stockport County

Date: 23/10/2021

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

If the NL had played out as most people expected it to, this would have been a top of the table clash. It isn't in reality. It's a clash between teams in 9th and 10th, Notts are 1point ahead but Stockport have a game in hand. It's a huge game for both clubs, but more so for Notts as we are at home. Stockport are 3 games unbeaten in the league. That includes a win over Wrexham. They are finally finding form after a slow enough start. They don't score too many goals, 9 in 10 games. Notts have scored 20 goals in 11 games. Stockport have only conceded 11 which is impressive. Notts have conceded 15. 

Games against Stockport are always close affairs. I don't see that changing this weekend. I think it will end 0-0. 

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

23 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

If the NL had played out as most people expected it to, this would have been a top of the table clash. It isn't in reality. It's a clash between teams in 9th and 10th, Notts are 1point ahead but Stockport have a game in hand. It's a huge game for both clubs, but more so for Notts as we are at home. Stockport are 3 games unbeaten in the league. That includes a win over Wrexham. They are finally finding form after a slow enough start. They don't score too many goals, 9 in 10 games. Notts have scored 20 goals in 11 games. Stockport have only conceded 11 which is impressive. Notts have conceded 15. 

To be honest with Notts defending I would be amazed at 0 0. I just hope we score more than they do.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Apparently Stockport have sold around 1,800 tickets! It’s going to feel like/is a big game.

The result against Tamworth was a boost but they are two levels below and Stockport’s players will be considerably better. I’d expect the likes of Palmer, J’OB and Cameron all back in the starting line-up. And it’s a massive bonus that Rawlinson will be in contention for this game too.

I’d stick to a 3-5-2 personally, especially if Roberts is out. Then you’ve got the option to play Rodrigues upfront or drop him into midfield and play Mitchell with Woots. We could switch back to a 4 man defence and bring Nemane on if it isn't working out.

No idea what the final score will be, wouldn’t be that shocked if we lost, equally wouldn’t be shocked if we won 3-0. All I know is that we don’t seem to do boring games at ML at the minute…

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's all down to how we approach and control the game, Stockport County will be a good team to give some confidence to our camp if we can do well. It will most likely be a tough, challenging game, but I do think Notts can control it.

Aaron Nemane needs to show more of his class here, especially if Cal Roberts is rested or out of the game.

Creating chances where Notts can drill in shots from the outside of the box, might create goal chances - as I seem to recall their keeper being a little clumsy at times. I don't think we should panic, just focus on bringing the players out of position and without always going backwards.

Antoni Sarcevic is on the verge of signing for them! 🤯 

Just got promoted to league 1 with Bolton and is their captain, he's a very good player... Stockport spending big, again!

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

Got to focus on the game, instead of the headlines. Let Stockport think they have all the power, but control the game with our attacking play. I have faith we can keep them quiet, just need to leave enough to make chances.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

Stockport can play proper football, but they also do go route one. I think if Notts don't get stuck passing and going nowhere, the winner will be down to who manages the game better. Strike first, defend the lead and just see out the game.

They won't be coming for a draw I wouldn't imagine, so Notts needs to have a stronger mindset themselves.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  884
  • Days Won:  1

I hope Notts can be at the strongest lineup to face Stockport, home soil and much needed points.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

That's what you call a statement of intent. Big win over a team that will be challenging for promotion, as will Notts if they keep getting results like this. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2021 at 17:01, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

This game will show us exactly where the squad is at, I expect. 

Heading in the right direction?

Loved it today, admittedly after we gave away the pen and then the two corners that followed, I absolutely thought we we’re going to throw the game away inside those last 2 mins. But credit to the players we didn’t!

Absolutely deserved the win. It was a really good performance, everyone played well and the things I’d maybe questioned like the ability to get stuck in and manage a game were put to bed (for now!).

Bring on Bromley!

• Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Frank Vincent is securing his place in the team by the sounds of his performances so far, it's very pleasing to see - especially after the reports of Michael Doyle's verge of return to the starting line-up. Nothing against Doyle, but that would've been a step back and very negative to happen.

Hopefully, it leads to a little self belief as there's a lot more that can come if the players just continue to work hard enough.

It's a fantastic result for Notts today.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Sounded great on the radio, looking forward to seeing the highlights! Some more performances like that and we'll start to close the gap.

Also great to hear that Vincent has made a big impact, I think a few of us had quietly written him off as a Patching-type signing. It's good man management too, as squad players know that good performances will be rewarded instead of the manager always picking his favourites regardless.