Match Discussion: Game 34 - The Shrimpers (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,282
  • Days Won:  80

Game 34 - The Shrimpers (H)

Team: Southend United

Date: 21/02/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

When speaking @callum2569 on the way to meet @super_pie, we spoke about our predictions and I said that I hoped the lads didn't let us down. Boy was I wrong. I have seen clinical comments about Southend being poor, they weren't - we just stopped them from gaining any sort of goalscoring momentum. I thought 2-0 to us was a realistic call, I didn't think those goals would come within 24 minutes of the first half.

Southend actually just got undone by good play.

Our first goal was a brilliant piece of play through the middle, for Langstaff to get onto and finish.

Whereas Bostocks clever cross, it came from nothing - as did Austin's header. It was superbly timed and as Williams said after the game, doing that is such a brave thing to do. I am very pleased for Austin because he's a workhorse and has deserved a bit of the limelight.

I never felt Southend would get back into the game with all due respect; we just made it harder and harder.

When we took Langstaff off after his second goal, I was surprised how we continued our passing game. It was almost like a bit of exercise in retaining the ball and avoiding dropping that clean sheet we worked so hard to get.

To end with another 4 goals, 12 in our last 3 games - it feels like we're truly battling to keep the top spot.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i thought notts showcased some of their best football night.

it was very tidy and uniformed at the back, solid in the middle with determination to score. i like how we managed to get a 4th despite taking langstaff off. also i thought southend looked decent. i think they will make the playoffs, one of the better passing teams i have seen this season at meadow lane.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

It was one of them performance that everything plays out just the way you want it.

Unforgettable game, fantastic team performance, and an incredible squad led by a top-class manager at this level.

How can we possibly top that?

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

As fans, these are the games we ought to cherish for a considerable length of time. Whether they signify the beginning of something extraordinary, let's relish the football being presented to us by these players and Luke Williams.

We should count ourselves fortunate to witness such exceptional quality on display.

All the goals last night were amazing, but I would like to single out Langstaff's goal, where he touched the ball twice and hit it with his laces into the far corner.

The Notts squad is very impressive, and sometimes, I have to pinch myself to not get carried away as a fan, knowing there are still 12 games to go. The left-wring has created a well-oiled machine with the squad.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Really good win at the lane. Seven wins on the spin. This team really are something different. From start to finish completely dominated the game. Southend didn't really have to much to offer. Played some nice stuff but when it got to the final third they looked hesitant.

What can I say about Macaulay Langstaff what a finisher. He's got the eye of a tiger for the goal. 32 goals for the season in February is truly remarkable. Is he going to break the record? Time will tell. 

A word on Sam Austin. Such an underrated player the amount he runs without the ball. Has so much energy. He always has some sort of impact whether that's coming of the bench or solidifying himself in the starting 11. 

We keep pushing on keep ticking game by game and we go again on Saturday against Dagenham & Redbridge. 

Coyp 

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I missed it (I'm ill and I couldn't stay awake for all of it), but wow, those goals look like Champions League highlights going by the quality of the finishing. Might be worth taking in a full match replay for this one.

Like Barnet, this looked like a real banana skin, but we once again wiped the floor with them. This team is like a juggernaut - it's a pity we can't play Wrexham right now.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I might as well just copy and paste my comments from the last game! Running out of good things to say about this team.

I’m liking this scoring 4 goals to win a game at the moment, definitely helps calm my nerves, we should keep it going until the end of the season...

Langstaff, just sensational, 32 goals and all from open play too (I think, has he scored a pen?). The all-time NL record of 40 is looking very achievable for him now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@DangerousSausage Get well, soon DS! Somebody won't want you suffering. Remember, there's always stick to whack people. ;)

Or, a bag should be placed around you and then shook up (that was a favourite one).

@menzinho It's becoming routine now, isn't it?

I usually try to caution myself to say we need to avoid being complacent and while we do, it helps a lot that this squad is fired up right now. Another point I would like to add to your comment, I spoke to @Simon Clark and he put it across that we are pushing Wrexham by winning, whilst they're doing the same for Notts. I think the vast majority of fans feel like the away game against Wrexham will be crucial even though it's right near the end.

Provided we keep winning and scoring early, the more pressure which will fall onto Wrexham.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

I am delighted with the team's performance against Southend United. As the league leaders Notts comfortably collected all three points at Meadow Lane, outclassing the sixth-placed Shrimpers. Although Southend made some changes to their starting line-up, they could not stifle the creative play Notts shown. Macauley Langstaff scoring his 31st goal of the season is a pleasing moment, and John Bostock and Sam Austin worked well to find the back of the net. Southend had some early threats, but this Notts dominated most of the game.

One of the finest performances this season,

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

There has been a lot of talk about player performances but for me Connell Rawlinson and Sam Austin deserve huge praise, both have done well when played. Austin has been a perfect signing and Rawlinson has reclaimed his composure.

On his day, he's a very good defender who puts his body on the line without thought.

The performance being topped off with 4 goals, is only outshined by the clean sheet.

I don't think Sam Slocombe was all that troubled but clean sheets are to clean sheets.

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

Notts displayed a collective sense of responsibility for their performance, resulting in a commendable win and three points earned.

This attitude has been a hallmark of the team throughout the season, evident in every game, regardless of the players selected for the starting line-up. The 14 players who played on Tuesday stepped up to the challenge and delivered a strong performance. Their cohesive effort and commitment to the team's goals have been an integral part of Notts' success this season.

Two players who particularly stood out were Bostock and Jones, both demonstrating their ability and match fitness with impressive performances, playing the full 90 minutes. Despite Southend's off-field predicament, their fans displayed remarkable support on a school night, demonstrating an impressive sense of togetherness. The fans' unwavering support for their team was a testament to their dedication and loyalty to their club. Overall, the game showcased the strength of both teams, with Notts' collective effort and Southend's passionate support, resulting in an entertaining and memorable match.

Edited by BromPie