Ben Foster’s penalty save

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I observed this image that was shared on the Pride of Nottingham Facebook page by a Notts fan. Even though the result cannot be altered, the picture communicates a lot and can be a topic of discussion. Do you believe that if the penalty was taken again? Could have made a difference in the long term? Alternatively, do you think that a tie was still inadequate?

Image shared by Luke James on Facebook.

Luke's comment: "The linesman is meant to stand and look along the line. Maybe he forgot what his job was?"

My personal view is that the referee made a good decision by awarding the penalty. However, Wrexham fans believe they should have had two penalties themselves. Firstly, there was the slightest touch by Kyle Cameron on Paul Mullin, and then Sam Slocombe's supposed trip where again Paul Mullin ran into him clearly outside the box but decided to throw himself to the ground in our penalty box.

However, judging by this picture, the referee failed to notice that Ben Foster was off his line. The assistant official should have been watching Foster more closely. In the World Cup and Premier League, penalties with off-the-line keepers are often retaken, with keepers sometimes being issued a yellow card.

The outcome of the Wrexham game cannot be changed, but it is disappointing that we will never know if a draw could have affected the title race or if Notts could have gone on to score a fourth. My final point is that officials need to ensure that keepers stay on the line. FIFA is introducing stricter rules where keepers cannot jump up or distract the penalty taker, etc. It should be something the National League strives to improve on.

jHjUPiO.jpg

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  128
  • Days Won:  0

No doubt he was off his line, the penalty should have been retaken but there’s no guarantee that it would have changed anything in the long run. I don’t think it’s worth dwelling on, but I would hope that we focus more on the playoffs.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i dont think it changes anything but fans calling scott need to stop, its embarrassing. it takes guts to step up in a big game and to take a penalty in the circumstances. i dont understand why people have to be so pathetic over it. forster is clearly off the line but aside from it being revealed theres little else to be said or done.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

Not only was Foster off his line, but there are at least 3 Wrexham players encroaching inside the box before the ball has been struck. A retake should have been ordered by the ref and a draw would have been a fairer result. That would have given us a better chance, bearing in mind that Wrexham need to go to Barnet and the improving Torquay for their last two away games of the season.

First Mullin penalty shout was a fair one in my view. He fell over easily, like he always does, but Cameron clearly pushed him whilst looking at the man and not the ball.

Also, Foster said in his interview after the game that Scott gave away his intention of going to the keeper’s right by where he placed the ball and his body position. He could only go there or down the middle. Just shows how much experience helps when you’ve been a top flight keeper.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

3 hours ago, liampie said:

i dont think it changes anything but fans calling scott need to stop, its embarrassing. it takes guts to step up in a big game and to take a penalty in the circumstances. i dont understand why people have to be so pathetic over it. forster is clearly off the line but aside from it being revealed theres little else to be said or done.

Scott went for power, but the kick was unfortunately too predictable. I've seen people suggest he should leave the club - they need to give their heads a wobble. His goals per minutes record is outstanding, and if Langstaff leaves he'll probably be our main man next season. We need to build him up, not knock him down.

To be honest I thought that Foster looked like a liability, he was clearly very ring-rusty and there were a couple of bad misjudgements that could have cost his team. Typical cheesy Hollywood twist with him emerging as their hero...

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

I might be one of the few, but we lost and we need to get over it. We don't have the right to win every game, and losing is always going to be a part of the game. Whether it's a situation like the Dagenham match where we got robbed by the officials or the Wrexham game, the players need to give their best and focus on things they can control. Personally, I refuse to cry over losing. It's not like Wrexham completely outclassed us. Let's just learn from our mistakes and move on.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

@Fozzy Hey there! So Ben’s been chatting with our goalkeeping coach Aidan Davison and our performance analyst Kyle Crutchley to review some footage ahead of matches. They’re checking out things like who’s likely to take a penalty and their striking habits. I hear Ben’s been doing this his whole career. And Cadwyn Scott? Nailed it. But I won’t say more, because it’s not important. Wishing you all the best for the rest of the season!

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

@Dry Nelson Ray Thanks for the info and good luck for next season, hopefully we will both be in league 2. Interesting how he knew about Cedwyn Scott's penalties seeing as he doesn't normally take them for Notts. I'm not sure if anyone knows who the penalty taker was for Gateshead last season?

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

It’s very marginal and I don’t think the half a yard he gained impacts his ability to make the save, if he had been on his line he still saves that pen.

It’s easy to referee the game once it’s over, I watched the highlights back (yeah I don’t know why either) but Wrexham had a few offsides given against them when they were level/just on.

I’d rather have the odd mistake over something like VAR in it’s current state…

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

@Fozzy Berwick Rangers, I think that's the team. Not sure how they got the info. All I know is Ben wanted the data and there was chatter about some clear patterns in how your guys took pens. But hey, at least they didn't miss the goal entirely and hit a hotdog vendor, right?

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yes, a retake should've happened.

Cadwyn Scott stepping up was a brave decision, one which I don't like seeing fans blame him for because it's like when a player misses an open net. It happens, it doesn't mean they should be ridiculed or abused over it, thankfully these types of attitudes are few and far between.

The penalty was hit with power, in a good place and Ben pulled off the save. If he blazed it over the bar, hit the corner flag or fell over shooting, then I would understand it a bit more, but nothing abusive. It's just disappointing, discussions and balance are important. Knee-jerk reactions fall under the annoyance bracket for me, calling a player out or saying he's s**t etc, just because of one miss. It's a joke, which isn't funny!

@TheCalFoster sent me this, so it's thanks to him for revealing where this information came from, but @Fozzy you may be interested. In Ben Foster's vlog there's a moment where a person shows a list of players names and other details.

sSDhLyn.jpg

I stopped watching Ben's vlogs awhile ago, mostly when he started doing more podcast type content. When he played for Watford, he often studied the opposition team's penalty takers and even asked staff for help. I remember when Watford played against Forest in the Championship, he mentioned his routine and that he stayed at the Gateway Hotel, which is nearby.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It has been interesting to read the views expressed. I do not believe any action should be taken at this point, nor do I think it would benefit the game if the National League were to fine or suspend Ben Foster. The officials are at fault for not following the rules.

I don't like speculating, but Ben Foster recently shared a video podcast discussing his penalty save technique. It seemed like a response to negative comments about him being off the line, which I hadn't heard anyone else mention. Quite ironic with how special the podcast is being worded by Fosters team.

It is reassuring to hear them openly defend Cadywn Scott, as it was a good penalty. However, they did touch upon something, @DangerousSausage mentioned. While saying, it was outright predictable may not be entirely accurate, I do understand what was meant.

You may wish to check out the podcast.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Ben Foster certainly appears off the line in the picture, and it seems like several players are encroaching the penalty area, so a retake should be awarded. I'm not certain a point would have aided us; we had the opportunity to win the game, and Notts permitted Wrexham to regain their footing in the game. They allowed them to level the score not once, not twice, but three times. By doing so, all of the pressure was put back on us. There is no option to replay the game, and since it has happened, I don't believe worrying about the penalty will change anything.