That Peter Crouch Film

KB1862

Since it was announced that Peter Crouch was having a film documentary made about him on Amazon Prime, I couldn't wait to give it a watch.

Although it came out on Thursday, I've got round to watching it tonight and it was fantastic. 

Crouchy has had one incredible journey in Football. A lesser man would have folded with the stick he had to endure throughout his career. So for him to overcome everything that was thrown out him to becoming one of the most popular likeable entertaining characters of all time is something to be applauded. 

100% recommend watching this if you get the chance. It's a terrific watch. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I haven't seen it yet, but I will watch it soon and report back.

Football documentaries tend to be really enjoyable, plus I do like Peter Crouch. You can tell that he got his humour as a coping mechanism. from people standing out for being tall etc as a child. He's just beyond the typical 'funny', he could make a good comedian in another life.

• Like 4

@Chris Without doubt mate. He found a way to deal with everything thrown at him which let him be his true self. 

I agree, he could be a comedian in another. I listen to both his podcasts and they're unbelievably good to listen to. He's such a genuine, funny guy and that's why he's so adored by many. 

All 3 football documentaries I've watched on Amazon (Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch) have all been tremendous. Gonna have to watch more I reckon. 

• Like 3

Some of the taunts that the documentary presents are awful, it makes you think. The way the papers treat people is shocking. It’s a brilliant watch.

I like that it has others talking at times, like Chadwick and Le Saux. Some of the chants are a part of football, sadly, but it all made him stronger quite clearly.

• Like 5

i recently watched it and i thought it was good to see how things panned out, peter's wife seems incredible and her support seemed to have helped him through his liverpool days where he struggled to get on the score sheet. harry redknapp and graham taylor both shown why they were good managers spotting peters potential. i think when you go into football, unfortunately you have to accept it for what it is. fans will poke fun of you, provided its not racist etc, you have to just get on with it. its a very good documentary.

thanks for suggesting it @KB1862.

• Like 4

@liampie glad you enjoyed it mate! 

It's incredible to see how his journey panned out isn't it? Agreed 100% about Abby supporting him, his career really seemed to hit a good run when he met her. 

Graham Taylor, Harry Redknapp and Rafa Benitez all did well with Crouchy. Especially Redknapp and Rafa, they both knew how to treat him and that he needed a confidence boost and be repaid them for the faith they showed him. 

Have to give credit to Liverpool fans, they stood by him through everything and was willing him on every step of the way. Many fan bases would have turned their back on a player in situations like he was in. 

• Like 2

Until I watched this, I didn’t know that he had started with Spurs or had even played for Portsmouth twice. He was a good player for his size; he had the skill of someone much more nimble, but it just goes to show that size won’t always hold you back. I thought Peter would have scored more goals with his head during his career, given his size, but it shows that he had great natural striking ability.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KB1862 said:

@liampie glad you enjoyed it mate! 

It's incredible to see how his journey panned out isn't it? Agreed 100% about Abby supporting him, his career really seemed to hit a good run when he met her. 

Graham Taylor, Harry Redknapp and Rafa Benitez all did well with Crouchy. Especially Redknapp and Rafa, they both knew how to treat him and that he needed a confidence boost and be repaid them for the faith they showed him. 

Have to give credit to Liverpool fans, they stood by him through everything and was willing him on every step of the way. Many fan bases would have turned their back on a player in situations like he was in. 

yes, liverpool fans were great and the boring from england supporters seems harsh. i dont think they would know because crouch has earned the respect of everyone but i think there is a lesson there for others who did not support him.

• Like 4

@liampie at the time it's understandable why they boo'd him but not justified. Being in that form, it was surprising to see him called up but Sven was another who had faith in him and he again repaid faith.

The fact that Crouchy went from all the booing and doubting to being one of, if not the most, loved footballers ever. 

• Like 2

I have seen it now. He burst onto the scene with Villa in the Premier League. I remember him more from Stoke and Liverpool, but it’s a great documentary. Sometimes, players need to push themselves a bit more, even if it’s hard. Peter Crouch has won people over with his attitude and love for football. He’s really missed in the game. I have enjoyed his World Cup shows in the past.

• Like 3

@NottsTastic Absolutely being himself was what won people over and I agree he's missed in the game. I only remember him from his Villa days due to FIFA 03, used to always be top scorer for them on the game. He often references his dad on his podcast and also in the documentary pushing him because he knew that he'd be there one day. As you say some people just need that push even if it's a hard journey.

As @liampie said, he earned his respect. 

This is a good football documentary; I think they could have included a bit more about the other players who had issues with looking different. I know it’s about Peter Crouch, but I feel it would have been more inspiring than a quick overturn by succeeding at Liverpool after a dry spell. His best decision was to join Stoke City; they got the most out of his career. It’s a good watch; I just have a few personal preferences, but I agree his wife supported him no end.