Healthy Living: Balancing Nutrition, Exercise, and Self-Care

I was wondering if anyone would be up for posting about their exercise and weight loss?

I am lifting my exercise as I want to get down a few more pounds. I'm doing alright, but I want to try to encourage more positive loses. I will be going back to mostly drinking water for the most periods, except orange and lemonade for when I eat. I have already been on a sort of weight loss journey, but life got in the way of me taking it as seriously as I should.

Would anyone be interested in doing me on here, discussing and updating their health progress? It doesn't need to be about weight; it could just be running and being active.

• Like 6

Supporter+

I try to stay healthy by walking regularly and doing my 5k park runs on Saturday, I am also trying to lose a few pounds. I have a Fitbit which helps me record my weight, steps, sleep pattern etc., it can also help by logging what you eat.

I think a healthy diet and smaller portions is of paramount importance, it’s no good going out walking and running if you are eating burgers and chips. I try to eat a lot of fish, lean meat, usually chicken, lots of fruit and porridge or dry oats for breakfast is excellent because it swells and fills you up but is healthy and doesn’t make you gain weight.

It doesn’t mean you can’t have the odd treat but if I do I have a small portion, for instance the small plates in restaurants or (in my case) pensioner special deals which are also kind on my pocket.

Go for it @Chris once you get into the habit of eating smaller and more healthy it’ll be easier and the same with exercising. If you can afford a Fitbit I would recommend that as an excellent motivator.

• Like 6

Supporter+

Today for breakfast I had corn flakes with a sprinkling of raisins, for lunch one slice of whole meal bread to make a cheese and tomato sandwich, followed by an apple, for tea a grilled tuna steak, with baby tomatoes, small portion of spaghetti and tender stem brocolli, all tossed together with chilli flakes, a glass and a half of white wine to wash it down and a small scoop of chocolate cookie ice cream to follow. At supper time I had an orange. Throughout the day I had 4 coffees no sugar.

We had a walk and I’ve done 6,964 steps (5.4 km), I have a daily target of 7,000 sometimes I go above sometimes below.

This was my tea:

A4F112F3-02D8-443F-BFD8-C4E33F2DDC44.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Supporter+

Since Sunday I have lost 4lb but I know I will put some if not all of that back on this weekend because that’s the time I tend to have better meals and the odd pint.

Heres a screen shot from my Fitbit.

IMG_5237.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Today, so far I have only eaten once, and I don't feel very hungry either. I would shame a picture of what I eat, but it tastes a lot nicer than it looks.

It's basically tomato, pasta with cheese sauce and herbs.

• Like 4

Supporter+

9,572 steps today but the curry and pint of beer may be my downfall as far as weigh gain is concerned, I always weigh myself first thing so we’ll see what damage has been done tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Same here, I would also update this with details of my activity. Although I don’t do a lot, being young enough allows me to get away with it, but I do make sure to go for a jog at least once a week.

• Like 4

Supporter+

I didn’t get out for a walk yesterday at all with the heavy rain and then listening to the match so my step count was really low, below 2,000! However I did half an hour on our cross trainer which made me quite sweaty so that was better than nothing. We also have an exercise bike and rowing machine but they make my bum ache so I prefer the cross trainer.

• Like 3

Supporter+

An interesting article on how to stay fit and cut the risk of dying early.

Fitness: Only 5,000 steps a day needed to stay healthy, study shows https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66440424

• Like 2

A few years ago I got sick of my double chins and decided to lose some weight. Over several months I dropped from 105 to about 87kg. It was a few years back so some of it has gone back on, but I'm not nearly as heavy as I used to be.

I didn't do a lot of exercise - I just joined a free website (FDDB) and monitored what I ate. The key is to eat about 80 to 90% of the calories your body needs (while keepig an eye on fat), then the weight drops off and stays off. But eat too little and your metabolism changes and you start gaining weight from very little. Being conscious of the useless calories you eat goes a long way - I used to drink colossal amounts of apple juice, which is OK in small amounts but very fattening when you drink it like water. After a bit you learn which meals are relatively low in calories but still fill you up, and that's important - if you feel like you're starving all the time, you won't stick to it.

On 04/08/2023 at 23:20, Fan of Big Tone said:

9,572 steps today but the curry and pint of beer may be my downfall as far as weigh gain is concerned

If you make your own curries, they're one of the better things you could be eating! Takeaway curries are full of oil and ghee, which isn't quite so great ;)

• Like 3

Supporter+

How’s everyone doing with their exercise and or weight loss, I’m stuck around 13 stone, my weight tends to go up at weekend which is when I allow myself a beer each day and then down during the week when I abstain from alcohol.

I try very hard to eat healthily and in the main succeed, the same with exercise I am managing to go for a walk most days and gardening/jobs around the house keep me active and is good exercise too.

The weight loss is a gradual thing spread over a time because if you lose weight fast it soon comes back, so I’m in it for the long run.

• Like 2

I've lost a single pound in a week, possibly during my walk around Wollaton. At least it wasn't a tenner, ah? 😁

We got some new digital scales a few weeks back, as our old ones kept weighing everyone at 9 stone. For me, I wished we had those one's back.

I plan to start religiously weighing myself every two weeks, I have implemented a diet and stricter eating. Although my weight gain stems solely from struggling to walk and my disability hEDS (extreme hypermobility). I am back to having a lot more walks, as I want to avoid becoming diabetic. Plus I don't want to lose the ability to walk due to pain, I'm a stubborn sod, but things are going very well.

Due to not feeling great recently, I hadn't been eating much, and I am hoping the next time I weigh myself I'm closer to losing a fiver or something more positive. 👍🏻

• Like 2

Supporter+

Keep at it @Chris it won’t happen overnight but if you can keep positive and stay focussed you will gradually lose weight and feel more healthy. I agree you don’t want to slip into being diabetic my friend is diabetic and it has given him a host of other health problems.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I was really pleased to weigh myself after my park run and I’d just dropped below 13 stone, so now I’m 12st 13.6lb it makes the park run worth it because I really struggled to get round today, I had to take a breather and walk a few steps on a couple of occasions but still managed to do it in 36 minutes.

• Like 3

I have been focusing on my weight. I am not large, but I do have a bit of a belly on me. Nothing a few months of walks won’t resolve, but I am still taking things slowly. Good luck to everyone who is trying to reduce their weight or adopt a healthier living approach. It’s best to look after your temple! You only have one, so worship it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
Supporter+

My healthy eating and weight loss went out of the window on my 10 day holiday, I’ve put on 3lb although we did do some long walks so not all bad, I need to start losing weight again before our next holiday with the family in October half term.

Hows everyone else doing?

• Like 1

I'll join in.  Five years ago I was quite fit - running 89minute half marathon, 18 1/2 minute 5km etc.  Then I got injured falling over and wrecked my ankle.  4 years later I was 95kg, so I signed up for the Rob Burrow marathon in Leeds and although I finished some 1hour 40 minutes slower than my previous marathon attempt I did it.  Unfortunately I didn't really lose a lot of weight getting down to 88kg, so now I am planning on a few Half Marathons next year to try and get back to around 1:35 ish.... so I need to lose weight.  I am currently 92kg (another injury) so I have a hill to climb.  My target is 75ish kg for 'The Big Half' at the start of September next year (it will be too hot for me to do 'the time' that will need to wait for 2025).  

Here goes!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I fell wayward with this, but I am starting to see a slimmer belly.

I haven't weighed myself for some time, but I can tell it's starting to come off. I have been having the odd walk at night. I went out with Ellie last Friday for a 30-minute walk. I want to keep this up, but I am also doing exercises with resistant bands, which I find very useful.

The goals are very much to get back to being slim, with no beer belly (despite not drinking). 🤣

--Edit--

I weigh 19. 12st now. 😮

• Like 2

Good going @Chris. You have a great goal and I am glad that you are seeing the weight come off, that is a great motivation.  

@Fan of Big Tone  which Parkrun do you do?  I've done a few around Nottingham and Long Eaton, but next time I am up I will try and get to yours and say hello (I can almost guarantee I will be in either an MNDA or Leeds Hospital Rob Burrow top).  Maybe we should do a PoN parkrun meet up (you can walk them too - there's no pressure to run at all)?

Edited by Ohh Tommy Johnson
  • Like 1

Supporter+

@ChrisI’m so pleased to hear of your progress I hope you continue to lose weight.

I am struggling again at the moment I’ve sort of lost my mojo and been in a bit of a pit and my weight has gone back up to over 13 stone, I’d really like to get down to 12 stone which I managed a few years ago when I started running. The runs get harder the older I get but I’m still trying to walk as many steps as possible.

@Ohh Tommy Johnson I generally go to Long Eaton Park Run because it’s flat but recently it’s been flooded so I’ve not been for a while, if you let me know when you’ll be there I’ll see if I can make it, however don’t expect me to keep up with you my times are getting slower, around 36 minutes last time.

• Sad 1

Supporter+
4 minutes ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

@Fan of Big Tone I did one of the very early Long Eaton parkruns.  It used to go through a nature area (?) which was flooded at the time.  It was a mucky affair!  Beeston was a nice course, but i can imagine it being muddy at times.

Yes I’ve done Beeston and it runs along a canal if I remember right. The normal course for Long Eaton is all tarmac but sometimes especially this time of year it can get tricky with wet leaves which can be slippy and there’s on part which has fallen conkers, again tricky at that time of year, kids don’t seem to collect conkers any more, when I was a lad you wouldn’t see any fallen conkers, we even had to throw things into trees to make them fall. :joker:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1