Luke Williams to Swansea?

Robbie

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

It could be a little awkward if the deal falls through now - then we'll have a head coach who's been discussing terms with another club, demanding loyalty and commitment from his players at Notts. Not sure that's such a great look.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  11

We don't know apart from rumours and hearsay that he's actually had talks. All the rubbish spouted so far has come from Wales online news, nothing announced this end, apart from East Mids Sport Reading the Wales Online story and believing it.

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

It could be, but these are professionals.  This is a job for them, no more no less.  They may enjoy it more at one club or another, much as the rest of us would enjoy working for one company or another.  I suspect the players know the score, and several will have been having conversations themselves (Macca and Cov maybe).  So, from their point of view I can't see it will make much difference after a short period of adjustment.  How it will affect LW himself is a different matter, and that would depend on why the deal fell through (if it does).  If he called it off, then I think it enhances his position - I came, I saw, I prefer what I have.  If Swansea call it off then there will be disappointment, if Notts refuse to play ball then there could be resentment. 

I can't see it falling through at this stage, although I would have expected an announcement by now if things were running smoothly. 

• Like 5

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@DangerousSausage 

@4everapie @Ohh Tommy Johnson

I think the silence by our club despite all the speculation & the lack of denial tells us something is coming. I can't remember something like this going in for so long though. There must be intense negotiations going on or some sort of disagreement.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

13 minutes ago, Robbie said:

@DangerousSausage 

@4everapie @Ohh Tommy Johnson

I think the silence by our club despite all the speculation & the lack of denial tells us something is coming. I can't remember something like this going in for so long though. There must be intense negotiations going on or some sort of disagreement.

I think our side will stay quiet until there is something to announce.  Things seem to have gone quiet after a flurry of 'leaks' and rumours yesterday, the Swansea posters (on NCM) seem to have gone quiet too.  That suggests there is an issue somewhere,  We can afford to play the long game as we don't have a game for a while, and our recruitment doesn't rely on a manager being in place (Macca being an example).  Swansea are playing this weekend and have a few upcoming games, so they need to make the deal sooner rather than later.  I wonder if Notts are holding out for the deal they want knowing this, but the longer it strings out the more I suspect Swansea will look elsewhere. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I am a little sceptical of this whole situation.

I have seen stories like this in the past dupe people, so I tend to be more inclined to wait for official news. I don't understand why Swansea City would pay a six figure fee or why it's bandied around like it's a good deal or us. The majority of managers who join a new club command a release in the six-figure range. We also have a coaching team who most likely would see someone else take charge of the training if Luke Williams and Ryan Harley are absent.

Luke Williams is still learning his trade, he's got a lot to offer but if this is true. I can see him ending up in the same manner as Ian Burchnall.

Whilst I understand concern that he may be on the move, the only real concern I have is how his potential leaving of our club may lead to him wanting to sign key players from our squad. I really respect what Williams has done, but jumping to the Championship just seems too steep.

We should be able to make a good appointment, so concerns about a new manager aren't a worry to me.

I really hope this is just people fanning the fire, but if he leaves, I only wish him well. We are in a greater position thanks to Reedtz to move forward. The potential replacement shortlist would be far better than any previous season, far better than any other ownership since Derek Pavis.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Super_Danny_Allsopp When I glimpsed at this, I had a sinking feeling, but I still believe we are in the best position to hire someone else who can continue the journey, much like Williams did after Burchnall.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2024/january/luke-williams-departure-040123/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,349
  • Days Won:  81

Thank you, Luke Williams. 🖤

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

it feels like its the end of era and one which has been more than a few years.

luke williams restored hope within the club, the way he conducts himself and has established himself amongst the players. i respect how he lifted the whole club as its not something easily done. i am disappointed to see him leave, but there is not much notts can do and i understand why he wants to go. its a great opportunity to for him.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

LW always managed to handle himself very well when it came to post match interviews, the style of play he bought into the club was to be admired and how much he's achieved at the club, there's no surprise that he was sought after but honestly wasn't expecting it to be this soon. 

As gutted as I am about his departure, will be grateful for the memories he has given us and I wish him all the best for the future.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So it's official and we can all move on.

As disappointed as I am that Luke Williams has chosen not to build on his fantastic achievements with us over the last season and a half, it is an understandable move for him in some ways. His stock is high and he knows he's only ever a few bad results from the sack, at Swansea certainly but at Notts too. There's no loyalty in football any more, but that's the case in both directions.

I'm also impressed at the stiff upper lips Notts fans are largely showing, especially when compared with the velocity with which toys are propelled from the pram when we lose a game. It's a world away from the uproar when Sam Allardyce left under not dissimilar circumstances.

He did a wonderful job for us and will forever be remembered as the manager who restored us to the Football League. But maybe it's a blessing in disguise too - maybe a new head coach can bring fresh ideas and new impetus so we can mount a serious and sustained bid for promotion to League One.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Supporter+
Posted (edited)

I Agree  @DangerousSausage I thought Luke was a fantastic Coach and has done wonders for this club which will never be forgotten, but I've been increasingly concerned about his stubbornness to carry on with the same tactics of playing out from the back when the defense is making the same mistakes every game and the total football concept. Don't get me wrong, I love our attractive football but sometimes you have to change tactics when playing away, to a more defensive approach, and when in doubt, kick it out. As you said, a new coach may have new ideas.such as Stopping us leaking goals like a sieve, & take a bit of pressure off our defense & Goalkeeper.

Edited by Robbie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Our platform and Luke Williams fitted each other, as a stable environment for him to further learn his trade as a manager.

When Ian Burhcnall left, I wasn't that bothered because I thought he was decent enough but far from perfect. I felt more bothered that he went on about our fans, rather than the small minority that wanted him out. The current scenario of Swansea City's interest in Luke Williams stands apart from others. I firmly believe that if the clubs couldn't agree a compensation package between the two clubs, Williams wouldn't have gone.

There were rumours with Burchnall that he was sending feelers out, I trust Williams when he said that there had been no contact before.

The good thing about compensation is that it should give the new manager a bit more to play with and make suggestions to our board. We might even be able to make an appointment which sends a solid message that we are seeking promotion, however, I do think it's more likely that a lesser known manager will come in. Simply because it's worked so well previously, but I hope for experience. Not experience as in someone who's constantly being fired, but someone who has a record with leading teams and establishing clubs at a higher level. All managers get sacked at some point, it's about getting someone in who can bring further stability whilst understanding how to get results when we might be weaker.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  8,992
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

9 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

It's a world away from the uproar when Sam Allardyce left under not dissimilar circumstances.

The big difference here though was Bolton avoided paying compensation...even though they were found later to have poached him

6 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

The big difference here though was Bolton avoided paying compensation...even though they were found later to have poached him

True. Not to mention the fact that Sam resigned to force his move. Then you have the different personalities involved (Derek Pavis v the brothers). OK, maybe not the best comparison then!

I do think fans have become more understanding of this in general though. Maybe it's because the era of one-club men is fading into the dim and distant past. And outside of football too, people change their jobs much more often than in the past, so maybe they can empathise with players and managers more.

Ultimately, we'll probably relieve another club of its head coach or a key employee. It's how the game is now. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

charlie slater said it was shades of big sam, its nonsense. we have been given compensation and if notts wanted to hold onto luke williams they could simply refuse contact. it may cause problems for us especially team wise but its nothing like sodding off with no signs of respect.

i read that big sam left with a car bought by derek pavis? i dont know if it was bought for him but i always felt that was a bit weird.

Supporter+

Good luck Luke.

Supporter+
10 hours ago, liampie said:

charlie slater said it was shades of big sam, its nonsense. we have been given compensation and if notts wanted to hold onto luke williams they could simply refuse contact. it may cause problems for us especially team wise but its nothing like sodding off with no signs of respect.

i read that big sam left with a car bought by derek pavis? i dont know if it was bought for him but i always felt that was a bit weird.

Luke wasn't Swansea's first choice either, but the whole saga is water under the bridge now.

Luke's moved on and we move on too.

I'm getting behind Jim and the lads now, for the next crucial match against Grimsby.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Listened to some of Luke’s press conference today, sounds like the Swansea chairmen contacted his agent and then went to visit Luke at home. This strikes me as an illegal approach unless I listened to it wrong as I did try to skip through the boring bits.

• Sad 1

Supporter+

Yes @Fozzy I've seen this banded around on social media today. I hope it isn't true and even if it was it would be very hard to prove anyway.

What we do know is the big dip in form, 7 defeats in 11 matches & Luke's inability to change things to try to turn things around. 

But it's all over now. We have to look forward not backwards. What's done is done.